Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Avid Reader" (Cheltenham)

Page: 1 | 2
Boston 1775
Boston 1775

4.0 out of 5 stars Good if you already have some idea of the events leading up to the Boston Tea-Party, 8 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Boston 1775 (Kindle Edition)
If you're a fan of US history, then this detailed and reasonably readable account of the events just before the declaration of independence will be for you, especially if you've been exposed to the romantic view of Paul Revere's ride to Bunker hill, perhaps as a result of a trip to modern-day Boston. This explains the reality and the mistakes made by both sides in the events leading up to to the battle, as well as an account of the aftermath.

American Heritage History of the Great West
American Heritage History of the Great West

3.0 out of 5 stars Packed full of historical detail - in my case too ..., 8 Feb. 2015
Packed full of historical detail - in my case too much detail when all I needed was a readable overview. It's a complex subject, but could do with a lighter more anectodal approach rather than names, facts, dates. Of course if you're studying the subject in depth this will be invaluable.

The Second Amendment #1 (Crime, legal thriller (action, political))
The Second Amendment #1 (Crime, legal thriller (action, political))

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me. Won't be buying the second half of the story., 8 Feb. 2015
Be warned. If you sample this book and enjoy it you'll need to buy #2 to complete the story. It might you an idea of the political in-fighting necessary to change any part of the US constitution - in this case gun control. But it's not a text-book! It's supposed to be a thriller, and I wasn't thrilled. I found the villains of the story very unbelievable. I read to the cliff-hanger on the last page but won't bother with book 2.

Pinball Planet
Pinball Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining free game, 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Pinball Planet (App)
This is one of those apps that you can amuse yourself with when you have a few minutes to spare. Works well on galaxy s3 phone.

PeakFinder Earth
PeakFinder Earth

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea for lovers of the outdoors., 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: PeakFinder Earth (App)
You know those displays at viewpoints pointing out all the visible peaks? This is exactly what this app does from ANYWHERE. I'm planning a trip to the hills of Virginia and the Carolinas. This app will be on the phone as it works offline. Thankyou. Great work.

8 Ball Pool
8 Ball Pool

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't like the constant nudges to buy., 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: 8 Ball Pool (App)
The game itself looks good. After a while constantly closing windows giving me the opportunity to buy a fancy cue or some such thing annoyed me so much I uninstalled.

douself A900 Protable Mini Wireless Wifi Audio Receiver Adapter 150Mbps 2.4GHz DLNA Airplay for iPhone 6 Plus 6 5s 5c 5 4s 4, iPad Mini, iPad Air, iPad 4, iPod Toutch, Mac, Android Smartphone/Tablet, Windows PC
Offered by dodocool-U

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 3 Jan. 2015
Having recently transferred my CD collection to my PC, I bought this to play music on my main stereo system, via Windows Media Player. After setup the device is visible on my home network, but Windows (8.1) reports that the hardware/software is not Microsoft Certified. It still works, but only one mp3 file at once. Setting up a playlist results in an 'unknown error'. I suspect that the version of DLNA in the device is simply not compatible with Microsoft's. BubbleUPnP on my smartphone also only plays one track at a time through this device. Having said all that when the music plays the quality is excellent. But I'll be looking for another way to play my CDs. I'm returning this.

When the going gets tough....
When the going gets tough....

3.0 out of 5 stars Their's not a bad story but it's grammer and spelling is some thing el'se. !, 10 Mar. 2014
Use of incorrect words for me added amusement to the book, for example: "He had a gentle manor." It's a good story, with a balance of humour and romance, but quite predictable and a little too long. A bit Mills & Boon! In spite of that I did enjoy the book.

Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)
Wolf Hall (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 9 Feb. 2014
Again another incorrect History rubbish. PLEASE if you need to keep on writing History get your facts right. I keep reading these in case the first was just a one off but guess it wasn't. How did this lady ever get all the prizes she has managed. Maybe the panel who award these Man Booker Prize, either do not know history , don't really read the books or well not really sure. But please let us get History as it is not as Ms Mantel thinks
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2014 1:03 AM BST

Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)
Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell Trilogy Book 2)

1.0 out of 5 stars No True facts, 9 Feb. 2014
I truly believe that Hilary Mantel makes up her own history as she goes along. I haven't as yet read a book of hers that is near to what History itself says. Perhaps too much fame has truly gone to her head as she seems to be able write what she likes and get away with it. Shame on you Ms Mantel for distorting our wonderful History
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 3:56 PM GMT