Profile for KM > Reviews

Content by KM
Top Reviewer Ranking: 2

KM (Liverpool)
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
High Quality Julienne Peeler & Vegetable Peeler ✮ Ultra Sharp Stainless Steel Dual Blades
Offered by Sabah Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy kitchen tool, 4 Aug. 2015
I was kindly sent this julienne - peeler kitchen tool for review by the distributor and have been using it for around 2 months now!

As a keen home cook I've used a few peelers over the years and this is one of the best I've come across as it has a duel function.

It's stainless steel and very well made. It has two blades - a peeler and a julienne blade. Both very sharp and easy to use. Both blades are on a pivot and follow the contours of the food item being worked on. I've posted a few pics to show how well it works.

You also get a small piece on either side to scrape out the eyes from potatoes which work well.

The device feels solid in the hand and has a bit of weight to it which is great for working with stubborn food items.

I've used it to peel loads of stuff, obviously potatoes, turnips, carrots and slice mainly cheese. In regards to it's julienne aspect - I wou;d call it more of a shred than a jullienne. If you want to call it julienne then it's the finest julienne you can get! In my experience julienne is more of a matchstick size and not as thin as this produces. Saying that - I do not take anything away from this! What it does is spot on for me - I like it a lot.

If this is a kitchen tool that you think you may like then I can highly recommend this one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

PIXNOR 11 Pairs of 36cm Silver Stainless Steel Straight Single Pointed Knitting Needles Crochet Hooks with Different Size of 2.0mm /2.5mm /3.0mm /3.5mm /4.0mm /4.5mm /5.0mm /5.5mm /6.0mm /7.0mm /8.0mm
Offered by PixnorStore

5.0 out of 5 stars Get knitting!, 3 Aug. 2015
I was very kindly sent these knitting needles for review and have had them for several weeks now. I passed them over to my mother in law to be who is an expert knitter of several decades! My Mum was a great knitter and knitted a lot of my clothes as a kid much to my mates hilarity in their Adidas gear. Chunky cardies with big buttons are the stuff of my nightmares nowadays.

What do you get?

11 pairs of stainless steel knitting needles each set in their own individual packet. They come in the following sizes -

2.0mm - 2.5mm - 3.0mm - 3.5mm - 4.0mm - 4.5mm - 5mm - 5.5mm - 6.0mm - 7.0mm - 8.0mm

The needles feel well made and are all marked with their sizes at the top. They are smooth to the finish and your wool does glide along their length nicely giving a nice comfortable knitting experience. They are lightweight, stiff and won't bend. During use you get that 'click - click - click' noise going on. When the mother in law to be knits it sounds like a machine gun going off - she's fast!

These are a very nice set of needles according to her and are recommended. I have uploaded a pic of a little something I knocked up whilst watching Sunday morning tv in my pj's! ;)
Comment Comment | Permalink

Vida IT W3 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Headphones with aptX® for Apple iPhone 6 5s Plus 5 4s Mobile Phone Smartphone Tablet PC Laptop - Superior Sound Quality - Over Ear Design (Black)
Offered by MemoryCardsIE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bluetooth headphones, 3 Aug. 2015
I was very kindly sent the Vida IT W3 Bluetooth 4.0+ CSR and APT X headphones by Vida IT for review purposes. I have been using them for around 14 days now and have been very pleasantly surprised!

In the box -

- The W3's in black - CSR plus APT X enabled - Li Polymer battery - 2 hr charge gives 10 hours of play
- 3.5mm aux cable
- USB charging cable
- Instruction manual

The headphones -

The build quality is very good. There is very little weight to these phones as they are predominately made from a robust plastic which is coated to make them scuff/scratch resistant in general use. The driver housings are top quality tough plastic and ear cups soft leather and well padded out and clearly marked left/right. The headband is comfortable and silicone coated on the inside with a matt black outer finish and fully adjustable to fit any head, even mine! The ear cups have some tilt to them which provides a comfortable fit.

For me there are no weak points on these phones as everything feels and looks well designed and built.

All the controls are on the right ear cuff. They're all capacitive/touch sensitive too, nice touch. You have the power on/off - next track - vol up - prev track - vol down and a LED indication light. The mini usb charging port is on the right cuff and a 3.5mm aux port. There is a built in mic as these headphones can also take phone calls.

In use -

After a 2 hr charge I linked them up to my samsung galaxy note 4 which is loaded with music/audio. They came up as 'VidaW3-headphones' on my Bluetooth search and connection was instant. If the battery runs low you will hear an intermittent beep to warn you to put them on charge.

The important bit - how they sound! The statement I always make regarding audio reviews. . .I do not claim to be an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination but. . .as a poor visioned spectacles wearer my hearing is has become enhanced to bat like like capability and I know a good quality sound when I hear it. But sound is a personal thing isn't it? We all hear audio differently.This is my take on the W3's. . .

How do they sound? Absolutely brilliant for an inexpensive set of headphones. These phones cover any and every genre of music. I used my Galaxy Note 4 and Samsung Notebook to listen to my music/audio through.

Definitely use a high quality digital audio or cd quality for these none of this compressed rubbish.

The Bee Gees greatest hits - Nights on broadway at 3.44 when the vocals become layered to hell and back - amazing to me. I could pick out every layer. The harmonies on How Deep is Your Love were a delight to listen to.

Pink Martini's Hey Eugene with around ten different instruments on the go. They can all be picked out due to the very good clarity of these phones.

Knights of Cydonia by Muse - So much going on in each ear. I felt like I was listening to it for the first time!

Metallica - Enter the Sandman. The punchy bass was spot on throughout. Vocals crystal clear and not muffled by too much bass.

Movies via your pc or smart tv - stick these on and prepare for a treat. The opening scene from Saving Private Ryan was awesome.

and finally (because I could go on forever!) Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance march No1 which I love, nearly brought me to my feet flag waving!

The spoken word/audio books are brought to life through these too. I have a few audio books and these bring the stories to life picking up on all the faint atmospheric background effects very well.

They are Apt x enabled which means they can stream more audio data and give a cd quality listening experience.

Highs, middles, bass response, vocals - these headphones deliver the lot in my experience. Absolute winner! Very nice build, great all round sound for any genre and a good punchy base. The noise cancellation when listening to these phones is excellent. Taking telephone calls works well through these too. Absolutely no problem at all.

I can't praise them enough at this price point. If you're looking to buy some reasonably priced headphones that give great audio you cannot go wrong. I have tried a few Vida IT products out in the last year and they appear to be serious about what they do - creating great products.

Definitely recommended
Comment Comment | Permalink

Vida IT vBud Bluetooth Speaker For Apple iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular TABLET PC - Connect Wireless or with Audio Cable - Stereo Music and Phone Audio
Offered by MemoryCardsIE

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little bluetooth speaker, 3 Aug. 2015
The Vida IT Bluetooth speaker enables you to play your music and audio from your Bluetooth enabled devices wirelessly.

It came very well presented and in the box I found the

- Speaker - 3 WATTS - 400 mAh battery -12 hours playtime
- USB to Micro USB charging cable
- 3.5mm jack to jack cable
- Non slip rubber mat for it to sit on!

This is a little beast of a speaker!

Build quality is spot on as it is made from brushed aluminium with a metal speaker grille. It has around the base the on/off power switch > 3,5mm aux port > mic hole > telephone answer or decline button.

I charged it up for around 4 hours then give it a go using my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 loaded with loads of different genres of music. I turned the device on via the on/off switch and an LED light at the bottom flashed to indicate it was on. I searched for any Bluetooth devices and easily found the speaker, was paired up in no time. Found my music and was away!

I cannot believe how good the sound is from this speaker. It is amazing and I'm not overstating the fact! It is.

The bass is very good indeed for its size! The sound overall is also very good, to my ears anyway. For it's size it certainly pumps some power out at 3watts. I played some Motown Punk, Jazz, Pop, Classical. Old school electro, heavy metal and every man and his dog through it! I was impressed on every track!

Also. . .you can take a call from your phone via this device if it's playing music at the time as there is a mic at the bottom and obviously the speaker acts as the speaker! Great stuff.

If you're into heavy bass and Dubstep then this is for you. If you're into anything else then this is also for you! If you use the Tune In radio app on your smartphone which I do a lot then this is perfect for playing that through.

This device was kindly provided for me to test and review by the distributor.

Definitely recommended.

Grow Roots on Plant Cuttings with CUTTING GLOBE Propagator in as few as 8 weeks - Propagate Trees, Shrubs, Roses, Climbers and More - Add Rooting Hormone to small cut, Roots Grow right on Growing Plant - Plant Cloning Made Easy - Quick and Simple Cloning Solution for Plant Propagation - Great Value 11 Piece Bonus Pack available for a Limited Time
Offered by SavingtheGreen

5.0 out of 5 stars A simple tried and tested method to grow cuttings - ongoing review. . ., 1 Aug. 2015
I was very kindly sent these Cutting Globes for review by the good folks at Saving The Green for review. I have been sent the 13 piece pack (inc cable ties - there's 11 globes) that contains every size of Cutting Globe.

I am a keen gardener and have taken cutting of plants for over 20 years now. I have never used anything like this before and am very interested in how this will work out.

Given the nature if this item I am going to update this review over possibly 12 weeks. As this will be a review in progress I will also upload photographs of the process as it comes along over the weeks just to show exactly how these globes work in creating a root ball that you can transplant into the ground or a pot.

Just a quick bit on taking cuttings. . .as any gardener knows - taking cuttings 'can' be a hit and miss affair. You take several just to get one that will take. Sometimes none will take at all! There's many factors that affect this process that I won't prattle on about here but after doing a bit of research into these Cutting Globes and how they work - I am quite confident that they are more or less 100% effective! That is some claim and throughout this review I hope I am proved right as these will save me a potential fortune and years of waiting time - over the next umpteen years.

So what are they?

They're plastic globes that come in various sizes to accommodate different sized cuttings. They use a method of propagating plants called air layering. These are filled with moist peat and left 'on' the prepared stem section on the parent plant to enable the cutting/root ball to develop inside the globe 'before' cutting the newly rooted stem off and transplanting.

The hole diameter I quote here will fit that size plant stem. You will find -

6 x small globes - 3cm x 3.5cm with a 6mm hole diameter

3 x medium globes - 6cm with a 12mm hole diameter

2 x large globes - 9cm with a 18mm hole diameter - watering slit

2 x plastic cable ties (I'll come to them later!)

On the larger globes you will see that half is red. This is a very clever design feature in my opinion! On larger cuttings that take longer to root - sunlight can promote algae growth on the roots and inhibit root formation - so when fitting your globe if you face this red side towards where the sun will be for most of the day it will greatly reduce or stop algae growth and therefore enable strong healthy root production! Simple but brilliant.

The globes are well made from plastic and come apart - fit together really well around the stem in my experience.

That's it. Quite simple but the best ideas usually are!

How do you use the globes? Preparation is everything . . .

You'll need - a sharp clean knife - peat - rooting hormone - and of course a cutting globe - 5 minutes of time! That's all it takes.

I really want these to work so I've bought a bag of premium Irish peat to fill the globes with. It's great stuff for seeds and cuttings as it's full of nutrients and holds moisture very well and shouldn't dry out. You also need rooting hormone to help root growth. You would use this in normal cutting taking too.

Open the required size globe and fill with moist (not soaking) peat, dampen it if you need to - now it's ready to clamp around your prepared stem. The quicker you get the globe on the stem the better!

You need to prepare the parent plant stem now -

Note - It's important to use a clean sharp blade for this as an unclean blade can hamper the process. Just think that you are performing surgery on the plant in question! :)

You do this by choosing a section of stem and using a clean (sterilised by flame if possible) sharp knife and stripping around 1 inch of the bark/outer layer off. Now you're down to what is called the Cambium layer and you need to scrape this off too - if you're unsure there's loads of videos on the net that show you this - it's dead easy!

Now you have your stem stripped down you need to dust the section with your rooting hormone powder or apply rooting hormone gel.

Next just attach the peat filled globe around the stem section and clamp it together to lock it in position. If it's a large heavier globe you can use the plastic ties to attach to the top and bottom of the stem passing through the globe to keep it in place.

Ahh so that's what they're for! :)

Remember to face the red half towards the sun to help prevent algae formation and aid root growth if using the bigger globes.

Now just sit and wait - keep any eye on them - make sure that peat is moist (not soaking wet) and you will see root formation through the transparent half of the globe after a few weeks. Obviously quicker for smaller plants.

When after several weeks a good solid root ball has formed you can now cut the cable ties off and using secateurs cut the now newly rooted stem section away from the parent plant and transplant it in a pot or the ground.

You now have a new plant!

It really is as simple as that folks!

As I said - I will be updating this review with photos as and when there is something to tell and show. The first update will be in around 2 weeks hopefully. I have set a few globes up - one (medium sized) on a very old rose bush I have (I love growing roses!). It's one of my favourites and is called Mischief and is highly scented. It is a very hardy prolific flowerer and has been known to produce flowers in Dec! I've also set a globe (small) up on a cracking fuschia bush I have which is also years old and well established. Another has been set up on a Hydrangea in my partners garden. I'm trying to set one up on an old Magnolia tree in my local church garden which is a local talking point when in flower as it looks fantastic! But I'm waiting to see the priest for permission. Fingers crossed.

Upto now I can only recommend giving these Cutting Globes a go if you're a keen gardener like me!

Good luck in the garden for 2015!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Satin Evening Bags for Women Pleated Bridal Prom Crystal Clutch Bags Diamante Handbags Champagne
Offered by S L K

5.0 out of 5 stars Boutique bag, 1 Aug. 2015
I was very kindly sent this ladies clutch style bag for review and my partner has used this a few times over the last month. The one I received is white.

This is a real eye catching bag for me - yep I like a nice ladies bag ;) It has an outer satin cover and inner polyester.

It measures 10.5 inches across by 4 inches deep so perfect to hold in the hand and has a really nice well fitted over the shoulder chain attached to it. The drop from the shoulder is 20 inches and the bag rests nicely on your side - yep I have tried it too!

This is a very showy bag! Perfect for weddings - christenings - baptisms - communions - it's definitely a bag you could bring to church! But it's also a bag that you can take on a night out with the girls.

It has a lovely sweep of glass chatons which are cut to look like diamante crystals and they do look great when they catch the light. These are seated on a metal base plate so not just glued on to the material of the bag - a nice little touch! The magnetic fastening flap holds well and is pleated - this is well done too. Inside there's a little pocket which I think is for putting the chain inside when not in use and there's some space for keys - mobile - money.

I really like this little bag and think it has a boutique look about it. It's very well made - comfortable to carry and looks great on my partner!

Yankee Candle Egyptian Musk Large 22oz Jar
Yankee Candle Egyptian Musk Large 22oz Jar
Offered by Jads Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of eastern promise - and it delivers!, 1 Aug. 2015
This is the large Egyptian musk jar which Yankee Candle says is . . .

'A prized treasure - A captivating musk with hints of vanilla bean and cedarwood'

We've burnt half this jar upto now and I'm pleasantly surprised (I initially thought I wouldn't like this one - the colour put me off) as it reminds me of Season of Peace which contains white musk but this Egyptian Musk is definitely more scented and can easily fill a room and drift upstairs giving a nice background fragrance.

The burn time on these large jars is 110-150 hours. The upper limit is doable but the main thing you can do to help it achieve 150 hours is keep the wick trimmed down to 3mm! The longer the wick, the bigger the flame and it will burn the wax off quicker.

Keep the wick short and it will last longer.

Very nice fragrance from Yankee here.

Kilimanjaro Stars
Kilimanjaro Stars
Offered by House Of Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Hakuna Matata!, 1 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Kilimanjaro Stars
It means - no worries for the rest of your days! :)

We bought This large Kilimanjaro Stars jar candle with the other three 'Out of Africa' Yankee series (which are - Egyptian musk - Madagascan Orchid - Serengeti Sunset).

Described by Yankee as 'Like nightfall on the ice covered peak, crisp, clear mountain air is laced with cool mint and earthy patchouli'

This smells like the freshest air you have ever breathed in - similar to when there's been a torrential downpour and the air smells clean/fresh straight afterwards.

The fragrance is pretty strong on this one for me and a definite room filler. I love the colour of the wax too.

Keep the wick short and it will last longer.

A nice fresh fragrance

High Quality Rustproof Stainless Steel Shower Curtain Hooks & Rings ✮ Modern & Luxury Decorative Design Round Rollers ✮ Made of Heavy Duty High Grade Corrosion Free Brushed & Polished Silver Nickel ✮ Set of 12 ✮ 100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee!
Offered by Sabah Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality nickel plated stainless steel curtain rings, 30 July 2015
I was kindly sent these stainless steel shower curtain hooks for review by the seller.

There's 12 in the pack and they are the rollerball type.

These are excellent quality hooks. Made from nickel plated stainless steel so they are rustproof and resistant to corrosion over a long period of time. They have a carabiner action and open up to allow you to get your curtain on and get them onto the rail. The stainless steel ball bearings are slick and have a smooth action allowing you to open and close your curtains easily.

Recommended
Comment Comment | Permalink

Resistance Bands, Heavy Duty Exercise Fitness Loop Straps - Natural Latex - Perfect for General Fitness Training, Rehabilitation Program, Pilates or Yoga Class - 1 Set (4 Strength Pack)
Offered by Mudder Online UK

4.0 out of 5 stars A portable home gym in four bands!, 30 July 2015
I was kindly sent these resistance exercise bands by the distributor for review.

How they work is that they are used to provide resistance during exercise to tone and strengthen muscles therefore improving fitness, health and wellbeing.

The advantage of these over free weights is. . .

- You can throw these bands in a bag and take them anywhere as they are virtually weightless
- You can work out using the bands anywhere as they take up no space - only the space you occupy
- You can use these as a stand alone exercise item or use them in conjunction with a piece of furniture - around a bedpost - wedged under the leg of a bed etc
- Resistance bands provide resistance all the way through movement for concentric and eccentric muscle movement
- You can just throw them in your bag - drawer - cupboard and they're away!

The only downside I can see to these are that you cannot push your body to lift a maximum weight possible but that's not what these are about!

There's four colour coded bands here which offer resistance in this order. . .

- Black - strongest
- Green
- Blue
- Red - weakest

To give you an idea of how resistant these are, the black one placed under my foot with me bent over slightly - it's very resistant to me pulling it one handed to my shoulder height and I can really feel it working my back and shoulder. The red band I could literally go all day with!

There is a big difference between all the bands and different ones will suit every person from the fittest to the not so fit who are trying to get back into exercise.

So what can you do with these?

There's loads of exercises you can do at home that incorporate these short bands (some are in the seated or floor position) including. . .

- Bicep curls
- Lunges with bicep curl
- Press ups
- Bent over rows
- Seated rows
- Reverse stomach crunches
- Lateral band walk
- Ankle flexion

Try to aim for 8 - 25 reps with 2 - 3 sets per exercise to get some good results from your bands!

Just google exercises for short resistance bands for more details and exercises - there's loads.

I like these bands a lot and believe they can go a long way to getting people stronger and fitter with just a few minutes a day.

If you want to or are trying to get some exercise I can definitely recommend giving these a go, just use your imagination and get pulling!

Of course there are longer bands out there which will increase your exercise options and ones with handles as you progress :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20