Profile for Kev Mooney > Reviews

Content by Kev Mooney
Top Reviewer Ranking: 5

Kev Mooney (Liverpool)
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
World of Flavours Oriental 15cm Cleaver
World of Flavours Oriental 15cm Cleaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cleaver with a multitude of uses, 9 Feb. 2016
I was after a decent and relatively inexpensive cleaver for home and outdoors (BBQ) use and thought I'd give this one a go. I've been using this for several months now.

I love preparing and cooking big joints of meat and fish and having friends and family around to feed for the day, especially in summer.

I've never used a cleaver before until I tried this one. I have cooked some big joints of beef ribs and pork belly, several chickens on the go and various foods and thought that something like this would come in handy. I wasn't wrong!

This is a nice cleaver. Very well constructed from stainless steel and well riveted wooden handles. The blade section is 6 inches which is smaller than a butchers cleaver but easily good enough for home use and with a bit of welly, this thing can cut through some thick joints - bone and all!

I will say it does come sharpened but I did sharpen it to a razor sharpness in order to do some fine slicing and herb, veg chopping.

What have I used it for?

- Cutting up (uncooked) meat joints - beef, chicken, duck and pork
- Slicing and dicing fruit - vegetables and herbs
- Cutting up cooked joints of meat
- Cutting up frozen smaller meat and rib joints
- Moving things around on the BBQ!

The blade is quite thick and comes to a sharp edge. It does have a bit of weight to it which is what you want. Cutting thick chicken breasts on the bone is easy enough with this by just making your mark and pressing down on the spine of the blade and pushing it through. You can of course just bring the cleaver up and chop down straight through in one swoop. I've used this on some big chicken breasts with great success. You know those big joints of beef ribs that are around fifty quid a go? This is great for splitting those before or after cooking. I've also used this cleaver to prepare and gut a whole salmon on a few occassions.

It does take a bit of practise (as does anything) to be able to use this (rather than a dedicated fish knife) for the finer things like trimming the strip of fat from inside a salmon and taking the sides off but it does it look impressive working away with the cleaver.

With the broad blade - the spine is great for banging and bashing things like ice - ginger, garlic and herbs, tenderising ribeye steak and If it's sharp enough you can skin a fish - quarter a duck - make paper thin slices of carrot and potato - finely slice cucumber and spring onions - , slice lemons and limes.

Quite versitile once you get used to it. Make sure you keep it sharp though and there's a handy hole in the blade so you can hang it up high on a hook out of the way of anybody who shouldn't be near it!

Recommended

vTube for YouTube [FREE]
vTube for YouTube [FREE]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great app - no issues. It's YouTube as we know it! Yes there's ads galore but it does the job., 8 Feb. 2016
This review is from: vTube for YouTube [FREE] (App)
I've been using this app for a few months now on the new Kindle fire tablet. It's currently the 4.2.5 version which offers 'improved performance'

A lot of the leading reviews on here are older reviews from 2013/14 and are very negative about this app. It must have improved since then because I can't say that I've had any 'unexpected' issues with it at all. Yes, you're going to get ads, that's the internet for you, ads everywhere. It's annoying but they're here to stay. That's how come it's free. Personally - I would pay for an ad free version as I always do with apps I use a lot.

On the forty nine quid Fire tablet it works fine in my experience. I've uploaded a few pics of the user interface down the left side and a few video screenshots. One of Liverpool's Chinatown new year celebrations (which were brilliant!) and the SuperBowl half time movie trailers (which were briliant!)

Everything I've searched for it's found like music videos, short films, channels I follow, cookery, photography, science stuff with no problems at all - it doesn't buffer or lag as some have said (isn't that down to your internet connection?) - I've played long videos - HD videos - signed in to my account and anything else you can do with YouTube. My son's mate is a budding young movie maker and I've watched a few of his short movies on here which were great. My son always seems to get killed in them though!

Recommended for the Kindle fire users out there!
Comment Comment | Permalink

T2 BC Cord Grip Lampholder (Takes up to 100 Watt)
T2 BC Cord Grip Lampholder (Takes up to 100 Watt)
Offered by Top Deals 4 You - UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the job. . . .a short story at the end of this review . . ., 8 Feb. 2016
I'm no expert when it comes to household DIY electrics but this is an easy enough job to sort out.

I needed a few of these cord grip lampholder fittings to replace some I'd bought by mistake. I needed ones to take 100 watt bulbs but I stupidly bought the 60 watt version, so - they basically burnt, went brown around the edges and cracked.

These are rated at 100 watts so I won't get that burning feeling again! I have uploaded a few pics of the ones I bought. The bayonet fitting on mine are definitely metal. I've noticed a few reviewers saying that theirs were plastic. These two are metal.

Replacing one of these light fittings is as simple as replacing a plug. It's a 5 min job - just make sure you turn off/isolate the electricity supply beforehand. I'll be replacing all my fittings with these over the next few weeks as they work

A quick story regarding this kind of fitting . . .you may already know about this but I didn't so I'm putting it here for anyone like me who hasn't got a clue!

Some weeks ago I noticed a 'fishy' smell coming into the house - but only at night. I was outside sniffing in every direction like a demented bloodhound wondering where the hell was it coming from? I was crawling around on all fours in every room smelling the floors, under beds, in the bathrooms, checking out air vents and the loftspace. Nothing! Weird.

It kept coming - at night.

In the end I thought I'll just Google it! So I googled 'fishy smell coming into house at night" I couldn't believe the answer - which was spot on. It was coming from the bloody lights! I got up on a chair and got my nose as close to the light as possible and there it was.

These 60 watt light fittings I'd mistakingly bought were melting/burning slowly and giving off chemicals and odours that smell a bit fishy because I had 100 watt bulbs in them. That's why the smell only came at night, when I put the lights on. Doh! I was blaming my 17 year old lad for bringing food up to his bedroom at one point.

So there you go. If you've got a fishy smell - check your light fittings!
Comment Comment | Permalink

AURAGLOW Super Bright 16w LED B22 Bayonet Light Bulb, Warm White, 3000K - 1521 Lumens - 100w EQV - TWIN PACK
Offered by Safield Dist. Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars 76 five and four star reviews out of 78 can't be wrong . . . ., 8 Feb. 2016
at this time of writing.

I've lost count of how many powerful, bright LED light bulbs I've gone through looking for a decent one that performs as per the description blurb.

In my experience they just don't get anywhere near and blow early or they're much weaker than you expect. So after a bit of online research I thought I'd take a punt on these bulb from Auraglow.

As somebody who suffers from poor vision and it's gradually getting worse as the years go by - I find I need a bright white light in order for me to read books, instruction leaflets, the back of food packets and all that kind of stuff. So lately it's 100 watts of bright white light and nothing else will do.

I think, I'm hoping I've found a winner in these bulbs. They tick all my boxes upto now after a few weeks of use . . .

Come on immediately - yes!
Give out an immediate bright white 100 watt light - Yes!
Well made and robust - yes!
Light up a standard room in the house - yes!

They're very well made and feel quite heavy in the hand - this is a solid bulb. They come on instantly and don't have to warm up for a few minutes. The light is as near as damn it to 100 watts as I've ever seen in a LED bulb and the light is a bright light one which is just what I need.

I'll probably replace every bulb in the house with these over the next few weeks. Pricey but well worth it.

Feelily 48 Pieces Canvas Pencil Wrap,Pure Fabric Handmade Colored Pencils Case Set Roll Multi-purpose Pouch for School Office Art (UK Style)
Offered by Lilyteckuk

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a wrap!, 6 Feb. 2016
I was very kindly sent this pencil wrap case by LilyTechUK for review. I have been using it for a few weeks now.

There's a new craze at the moment if you haven't realised - adult colouring books and I don't mean the naughty kind. I'm on about intricate and complex patterns that take time and patience to complete. It's hard not to go over the lines.

Well, everybody seems to have loads of colouring pencils lately and possibly nowhere to store them. Some of these pencils are expensive and you don't want to be breaking the leads.

This is where this wrap comes in dead handy!

It's made from canvas and has a lovely pink UK themed print on the outside. Inside you will find enough loops to store 48 pieces of stationary. 46 loops for pencils and 2 wider ones that you could put a 6 inch rule or erasers/sharpeners in.

There's a flap at the top that covers/protects your pencil nibs from breaking.

To close - just roll it up and tie the white laces around the roll and you now have all your pencils stored safely and this can be thrown in a bag and taken anywhere.

Lovely little item this one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Lapasa Men's Pouch Trunk Micro Modal Low Rise Boxer Brief (Free Cutting)
Lapasa Men's Pouch Trunk Micro Modal Low Rise Boxer Brief (Free Cutting)
Offered by ASAS-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice undies. Tight stretchy mens briefs that look good on., 5 Feb. 2016
I was very kindly sent these mens boxer style briefs by Lapasa for review and have been wearing them for over one month now (I have washed em like!)

I received the 4 colour selection in a large size (I'm a 36 in waist) which are Slate Blue - Grey - Black - Powder Blue. They're made from 88% Modal and 12% Cotton. Modal is a semi synthetic material that has been developed to be really soft and smooth on the skin.

I like these a lot! Very soft, silky and comfortable material. These are stretchy and a nice tight fit on me and grip around the tops of my thighs and hug the contours of my bum perfectly. The pouch at the front works really well, giving good support without restricting movement and flexibility. It's a stretchy too!

The waistband sits nice and the undies are well made with a top quality finish to the stitching. The leg trim has no stiching or visible seam at all which is nice. They just cling to your thighs really well . . . .

Wash on a 30 degree, no tumble dry and iron at 110 degrees. The back label cab be ripped off easily as it's perforated, if you don't like the feel of it.

Like the cut - extremely soft and comfy - pleasant colours - nice fitting butt and front hugging pairs of briefs.

Recommended.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Snug Travel Baby Bed / Cot - Doubles as a Nanny and Nappy Bag (Blue)
Snug Travel Baby Bed / Cot - Doubles as a Nanny and Nappy Bag (Blue)
Offered by iHeadphones ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A bag or a portable cot for 0 - 6 months, 5 Feb. 2016
I was very kindly sent this baby cot/storage bag by the seller for review. I have passed this on to my cousin who has just given birth to a new baby boy!

I have uploaded a few pics to show the bag opened/closed and build quality.

Note - it goes without saying that as a cot this should only be used on a flat surface.

This is a well made bag. The outer shell is a navy blue wipe clean nylon and the inside is also a soft white nylon wipe clean lining. Open the bag and you will find a thin but padded mat with two velcro attached bumpers/cushions and a shoulder strap that you can attach to the outside to carry.

Outside - there is a top handle and two zippers. One set of zips opens the bag/bed up. The other zip opens up one end to enable you to remove a rigid plastic wall that forms the head end of the baby bed. To be honest - the only time you would ever need to remove this is to give the whole thing a thorough clean inside and out. Other than that I'd just leave it in as it is a bit of a pain to get back! Saying that, it does the job of formimg a safe head space for your baby to sleep in.

Opened up with the mattress laid the bed is 12 inches across and 34 inches long, so plenty of room for the recommended 0 - 6 month old baby. As a portable cot/bed I think that this is a winner. This is something you can bring to the relatives or to a park/garden on a warm day and whip out - unzip and lay the baby to sleep in on a flat surface quite safely. It's nicely padded and a 0-6 month old shouldn't roll out.

Used as a storage bag - this is great. It has one big compartment and loads of room for nappies, blanket and your bits and bobs. It's easy to carry by the handle and the shoulder strap works well too.

So, as a cot - great. As a bag - great. But using this as a bag then considering the practicality of emptying it out in order to use as a cot - this would be a pain in the bum I imagine. When you've got a new baby, you don't want to be messing around emptying this then having to refill it to set off again.

Personally I would be happy to use it as one or the other.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Feelily 36/48/72 Coloured Drawing Pencil Marco Raffine Art Colouring Pencil Supplies with Portable Canvas Pencil Wrap Pouch for Artist/Art Fan/Colouring Lover (48 color)
Offered by Lilyteckuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice colouring pencils with a handy storage wrap., 5 Feb. 2016
I was very kindly sent these pencils and pencil wrap for review by LilytekUK and have been using them an and off for over one month now.

This is a gorgeous set of 36 wooden coloured pencils. They look and feel well made and are a standard 7 inches long - HB lead - easy grip hexagonal shape - 2.2mm diameter lead - break resistant - printed on one side.

There were no broken or chipped ones in the set I received (see photos), they arrived pretty well sharpened (not to a pin point though) and the pencil core runs straight and true through the pencil. Each one has it's colour at the bottom and is individually numbered. They came in a box. I had to take them out and put them into the wrap which took 5 mins. The pencil wrap is a nice affair made from nylon with a faux leather trim for effect. It looks nice. It holds the pencils well and stops them from breaking. There's two bigger loops in the wrap for a sharpener and possibly a 6 inch rule.

These pencils give a waxy/oily finish and the colour depth responds well to the pressure applied. Colours can be vibrant if you press down and therefore can be subtle and faint by going lightly.

These are great for colouring book enthusiasts and for sketching. I'm no drawing expert but my 5 year old nephew is! I have uploaded a photo of one of his artworks using these pencils he sketched one day on my kitchen table. His picture now adorns my fridge! :He said they're good for drawring and colouring in!

Lovely vibrant colours, good quality pencils..

I checked Axus stationary out who make these pencils and they are a good company churning out 8.4 million pencils a year! They all meet high standards of eco friendly manufacture and safety - ie - no harmful chemicals in these!

Recommended to any colouring/sketching fan.

Catherine Lansfield Tartan Stripe Pillowcases - Red
Catherine Lansfield Tartan Stripe Pillowcases - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Flanelette! Stay warm and cosy on chilly nights., 5 Feb. 2016
I got in from work extremely late a few weeks ago and got a shower and went straight to bed exhausted.

As I placed my weary head on my cotton pillowcase I nearly had a heart attack! The pillow felt like it was 40 below zero, my ear immediately stuck to it like a tongue to an icepop. The house had been empty all day and therefore no heating was on.

The beauty of online shopping and Amazon Prime . . .

It was gone 2am and I picked my phone up, it was encased in ice which I chipped off by banging it on my pillow - I signed in to my account and searched for 'flannelette pillowcases'

Flanelette was a word I remember my mum using in the 70's. I remembered that as a kid and before decent household heating systems, that flanelette was soft, warm and cosy. Somehow and by the power of the internet gods, my amazon search term led me to these pillowcases.

They were delivered within 24 hours. . .

They look great. Red Tartan on one side, you can't knock it can you? Bay City Rollers - leggings - blankets - scottie dogs - kilts and Rod Stewart. A red candy stripe on the other side finishes it off nicely. They are fleecey and feel soft and warm and comfy to sleep on. I love them! I've washed these a few times now on a quick 40 degree wash cycle and they haven't bobbled and look as good as new.

I'll be buying the rest of the bedding to match for sure.

Super warmly recommended.

Word Chums
Word Chums

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant word game for ages 5 to 105!, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Word Chums (App)
I've been playing Word Chums for a few weeks now after downloading it onto my Kindle Fire tablet.

If you can play Scrabble, you can play this from the get go! Same thing - you have a seven letter rack throughtout until there's no letters left.

If you like word games - you'll love this one! It's fun - colourful - user friendly - and you can play against friends - family or random opponents.

There is a social aspect to this too but you don't have to speak to your opponent if you don't want to. So you can 'chat' as you play. I quite like this though and find a lot of friendly banter goes on during the game. There are in app purcheses you can make to upgrade your 'chum' to enable you to rank up quicker but again - you don't have to buy these, I haven't as I just play for the fun of it!

To start you sign up with your facebook or email then pick a Chum who will represent you during your games and pick a name. I'm 'KMLIVERPOOL' and all are welcome to come and kick my butt! You win coins/pts during games and can win more for longer words - using all your tiles in one go, making more than one word with one go and stuff like that - just like scrabble!

As I said before - you can buy all kinds of accessories at the chum store to upgrade your chum to earn more points/coins. But you can just play and amass coins for winning and buy them without spending your own real money! It will take longer of course to rank up and open up better items to buy and earn more points. It seems most game apps have in game purchases nowadays. It's upto you whether you want to buy or not.

I've uploaded a few pics of the game screens on my Fire tablet so you can see what it looks like. My 6 year old nephew loves this game and it's a great educational/spellings tool in my opinion. All the sound effects and background music is great but can be turned off if you want. The game graphics are vibrant and colourful too.

Oh! You can take as long as you like to take your go too! So go and search dictionaries, use your scrabble cheating apps and use pen and paper to work it all out. But if you don't go for a week the game is declared a win for your opponent! A week is a bit long though isn't it? :( You can also have several games on the go at any time. I'm currently playing against my two kids, the daughters boyfriend, my brother and two others called Katmar113 and iarei (not a clue who they are or where from!) I was playing a game a few days ago against 'GothamKnight'. . . I can't believe I beat Batman!

Highly recommended and I hope I haven't made any spelling misteaks after saying all that! ;)

Here's the letter count/distribution for anybody who's interested -

A - 8