Profile for J. Sykes > Reviews

Content by J. Sykes

J. Sykes "physiojen" (UK)

Hamster Buggy Bags (Black)
Hamster Buggy Bags (Black)
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant addition, 2 Nov 2013
These add great storage to my Quinny Zapp, which only has a tiny basket. Easy to clip on and off the buggy. Have carry handles to use as shoulder bags. A brilliant addition

Alien and Dinosaur Love Collection Claire Freedman and Ben Cort 4 Books Set (Aliens in Underpants Save the World, Dinosaurs Love Underpants, Aliens Love Panta Claus, Aliens Love Underpants!) (Alien and Dinosaur Love Collection)
by Claire Freedman

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely bedtime read, 2 Nov 2013
My husband loves reading all the underpants books to our daughter. They get a little repetitive but how much can you write about pants? Quite a but it appears

MAM Slow Flow Teats (2-pack)
MAM Slow Flow Teats (2-pack)
Price: 4.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my breast fed little girl, 2 Nov 2013
These were the only teats my little girl would use at first when we first introduced a bottle. Shame the mam bottles are so expensive and awkward to assemble. We used these teats on normal wide neck bottles and apart from having problems with suction they worked great.

Pirate Fluxx Card Game
Pirate Fluxx Card Game
Price: 11.91

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fluxx edition, 2 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pirate Fluxx Card Game (Cards)
My husband loves pirates, we both love fluxx. Brilliant! We have introduced this to some of our non-game playing friends and it has proved enjoyable and easy to pick up. Game length is variable due to its very nature but always enjoyable.

Looney Labs Back To The Future  The Card Game
Looney Labs Back To The Future The Card Game

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun quick game, 2 Nov 2013
This is really easy to pick up and relatively quick to play. Me and my husband really like it. You don't need to know the Back To The future movies but if you do it makes it easier to understand and more enjoyable.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Price: 23.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to make a single cup of nice coffee, 2 Nov 2013
My partner doesn't do hot drink so prior to buying this I always ended up wasting fresh coffee as I couldn't make it in small enough quantities. This makes it easy to make a single cup of coffee ground beans and is so easy to clean. I use it nearly every day. I can't justify the expense of a proper coffee maker and don't have a gas hob to have a proper coffee brewer but this is the next best thing

Allotted Time: Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea
Allotted Time: Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea
by Robin Shelton

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing but not that educational, 12 Oct 2008
I found this book hugely amusing and it really got me looking forward to the day when I would get my own little plot. However, like prtevious reviews have stated it is not a 'how to' (more of a how to not). The first appendix is a sweet touch but not enough to mean you wouldn't need a couple of 'proper' fruit and veg gardening books, which are kindly suggested in Appendix III, although I feel a few very decent gardening books are not covered here.

Overall a good read but don't expect to finish it knowing exactly how to plan your allottment and produce the finest fuit and veg.

If you did like this book i might suggest Using the Plot: Tales of an Allotment Chef which goes a little step further in that it gives you recipes to use your veg in but makes a little less amusing tale.

Using The Plot: Tales of an Allotment Chef
Using The Plot: Tales of an Allotment Chef
by Paul Merrett

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting mix, 12 Oct 2008
I bought this book as I am a keen cook who is on the waiting list for an allotment. I thought it would be interesting to see how this book bought those two aspects together. I knew little about Paul Merrett but have seen him on a couple of food magazine type programmes.

As a diary/account of how to (or is that not to?) start an allotment I found it generally amusing and interesting. However, not as good as Allotted Time: Two Blokes, One Shed, No Idea, a book which Merrett mentions. There isn't enough real detail to help you avoid the pitfalls that Merrett himself makes, but maybe thats the whole idea of having an allotment and learning from your own mistakes. The story, which covers just over a year, flows well and held my attention enough to get through it in only a couple of sittings.

The recipes, which take up just under 150 pages, cover the usual suspect veg you would find on an allotment and range in complexity from 'root vegetable mash' (can this really be classed as a 'recipe'?) to 'slow-roast shoulder of lamb' (whose allotment ingredients consist only of garlic & rosemary). The section on preserves and sauces seems decent and I feel this is the section I would use the most.

Overall this is a really well presented book, with lovely pictures throughout both sections of the book. The recipes seems well written and easy to follow. I did enjoy this book, and found myself laughing out loud at certain points however, there are better accounts of allotment life out there and there are more useful recipes too. Saying that this is a book which brings the two together quite nicely, and gives you more information about the allotment side of things than Jamie Oliver's Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2011 9:22 PM GMT

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown
Price: 6.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Was I reading the same book?, 21 Jan 2005
Maybe I picked up a completly different book called Di Vinci Code to that which is reviewed above but I thought this book was great. It took me little over a week to read from front to back and I was not alone. Many people I know who have read this book also got addicted. Having come from a non-religious background I was pleasently surprised with how interesting I found the book, even though it is steeped in religious traditions and rites. I look forward to reading more of Dan Brown's work.

Physiotherapy in Respiratory Care Third Edition: A Problem-solving Approach
Physiotherapy in Respiratory Care Third Edition: A Problem-solving Approach
by Alexandra Hough
Price: 35.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Good... but not great, 29 Sep 2004
This text book has all the basics you need for getting through your university Cardo-Resp modules. The problem is finding what you need as the chapter layout could be better. And like I said, it has the basics but not a lot more. My unversity had this book as the key text on the reading list but when I compared it to other Cardio-Resp books its not that special. You'll probably also find your university library has a few to lend out, although these tend to disapear fast. I have barely looked at it since finishing uni (I'm now a specialist Cardio-resp physio) but do occasionally direct my students to it.