Profile for Les > Reviews

Content by Les

Les (GB)

Page: 1 | 2
Goodbye, Piccadilly (London Irish Rifles Book 1)
Goodbye, Piccadilly (London Irish Rifles Book 1)
Price: 1.53

3.0 out of 5 stars Good historical detail, weak story, 16 Feb 2014
This read loke a book written by a good histrian who struggles to find his way as a novelist (better thsn being the other way around!) The detailed knoeledge of trench life is impressive but I found the storylines predictable but worse still not comletely followed through: eg having reached a good climax in the last chapter it then just fizzles out.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 10:30 PM GMT

The Great War: 1914-1918
The Great War: 1914-1918
Price: 4.69

5.0 out of 5 stars So readable and reasonable!, 27 Jan 2014
Rarely s a factual book so detailed yet easy to read and understand. It comprehensively covers all the areas where fighting took place and explains what happened and why. Some leaders and parts of campaigns are are deemed to have been ill-advised or poorly led but generally this is the well explained alternative to the over-emotional 'lions led by donkeys' rubbish which completely overlooks the problems involved in mass mechanised warfare. Brilliantly selected contemporary reports from those who were there bring the war down to a personal level, so this never feels like an academic 'tome'. If you only read one WW1 book make it this one; if you have read all the others read this one. I hope it is compulsory reading for anyone involved in making programmes for this years anniversary.

Lavender Classic Court Shoes Beige Patent 4.5
Lavender Classic Court Shoes Beige Patent 4.5
Offered by Crichton Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish!, 21 Oct 2013
Comfortable and accurately sized for average sized feet. I am 56 and pretty conservative but my daughter and nieces love them too and say I am 'on trend'!

Philips Navigator Drivers Atlas Of Britain
Philips Navigator Drivers Atlas Of Britain
by Reader's Digest

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 21 Oct 2013
The only atlas I have seen where you can see roads railways and canals - even the locks and stations so a MUST HAVE for anyone who uses more than one form of transport! I have been looking for this for years!

Van Dal Women's Chicago Black Croc Special Occasion Heels 1456140 4.5 UK
Van Dal Women's Chicago Black Croc Special Occasion Heels 1456140 4.5 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 27 Mar 2013
Spot on sizing with a 4 1/2 size. Very flexible sole so no need to break them in. Completely delighted!

Ruby Rocks Women's Bad Girl Dress Viscose Wiggle Pencil Dress
Ruby Rocks Women's Bad Girl Dress Viscose Wiggle Pencil Dress
Offered by FYFO
Price: 7.99 - 18.99

1.0 out of 5 stars It's tiny!, 20 Mar 2013
I am a size 12 and bought a medium and I cannot even try it on! Laid flat the waist measures 24" and the HIPS yes HIPS are 28" with the bottom of the skirt 30". I do not think I Victoria Beckham could get into this, I don't see how you could get it over your shoulders. Even if you were this slim you would need a zip to get into it (which it does not have). The material is ok, average T shirt material, but not particularly stretchy and certainly not stretchy enough! It will have to go back.

KRISP Ladies Womens Ruched Draped Retro Stretch Twisted Knot Front Mini Sleeveless Low Cut V Neck Pleated Float Flower Printed Polka Dot Dress Tie Belted Party Evening 2092
Offered by Krisp Clothing
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the tall!, 20 Mar 2013
Very good value for money, and a nice fit for short people like me. I am 5'2" and if you were any taller than that I think you would wear it as an under the bust top as even on me the waist tie at the back is quite high. Medium is just about a size 12 - if in doubt go a size bigger, its stretchy anyway and would not look big.

IT Luggage 25" Orange 4 Wheel Spinner Worlds Lightest Lightweight Suitcase - 10 Year Guarantee

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case!, 26 Feb 2013
This is very lightweight and moves effortlessly. The fabric might look thin on first appearances but having used it it does not mark or graze in the way you might fear. Its weight has made my other cases obsolete!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality!, 26 Feb 2013
I bought a black one and a white one with napkins and I am very pleased. They are a good quality material which barely needs ironing ( but I do as I am a bit fussy about this). They do just have an overlocked edge rather than a hem, but this brings the bonus that they can be used either way up - i.e if you get a mark, turn it over and use it again before you wash it!

The Red Sweet Wine Of Youth: The Brave and Brief Lives of the War Poets
The Red Sweet Wine Of Youth: The Brave and Brief Lives of the War Poets
by Nicholas Murray
Price: 8.61

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but surely there's an error!, 26 Feb 2013
I am 190 pages into this apparently very scholarly book and for the third time I have across a reference to a Charles Nevinson. I have contacted the publishers as to who this might be as I only know of Christopher Richard Wynne Nevinson (painter, known as Richard) and his father Henry Woodd Nevinson ( Guardian journalist and war reporter and author of Dardanelles Campaign). On pg 190 Murray refers refers to Charles being at the Slade school of art with Mark Gertler, Stanley Spencer et al. - and this HAS to be CRW Nevinson (Richard)! I now am beginning to wonder if there are other errors. I await a reply from the publishers, but if anyone can tell me I am wrong and they know who Charles Nevinson is I would be delighted to hear from you. Do read this, but be ready to be critical perhaps.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2013 7:07 PM BST