Profile for Mrs. T. A. Brady > Reviews

Content by Mrs. T. A. Brady

Mrs. T. A. Brady "Ransack" (Sussex)

Pinnacle Studio 16 (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 16 (PC)

2.0 out of 5 stars I much prefer the older version, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Pinnacle Studio 16 (PC) (CD-ROM)
Unimpressed I'm afraid. I purchased it to run on Windows 8 which my previous version (Studio 10) can't do. Yes, the revamped software does look prettier to use. The older version doesn't look as slick as Studio 16 but for me, it is much more straightforward to do what you want to do, including the real basics.

With the new version I can't enable the frame accurate editing function which was really very easy on with the earlier software. In principle, the video tutorials are great but, even following the relevant one step by step, the required button on the screen for the mode I wanted wouldn't enable, so scene clipping has to remain approximate according to how wide you set the time line.

There is also a problem with disc writing. After 16 minutes or so of edited material, it just seems to stop writing, but without reporting an error so when it comes to playing the disc, it just terminates at that point. This is something that I have only tried on my laptop which runs on Vista so it may be a Vista-specific problem. Either way, it is supposed to work with Vista but I find myself creating an .avi file which I then need to pick up using Studio 10 to create the disc and that works fine.

So, from my point of view, upgrading to Studio 16 has been a waste of time and money. I've ended up reverting to using Studio 10, accepting that I have continue to do my video editing on my Vista machine.

The Telegraph: Ultimate General Knowledge Crosswords 1 (The Telegraph Puzzle Books)
by THE TELEGRAPH
Price: 5.21

2.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Obscure Knowledge X-word?, 4 Nov 2013
We got this to keep us company on a trip based around a remote mountain valley in Slovenia. Only when we got there did we spot the note inside the book that you should expect to have to refer to the internet to get to some (in our case, most, of the) answers - Stephen Fry excepted of course but he wasn't with us. Luckily for us the Oxford American dictionary that came with the Kindle had definitions that matched, word for word, many of the clues in the book otherwise we might very well have ended up like Jack Nicholson in The Shining by the end of our week away.

Typically a crossword would have 3 or 4 really obvious answers and the remainder, very, very obscure (at least for us non-crossword buffs). There didn't seem to be much in the way of middle ground so although, with the help of the Kindle, we did quite well in terms of numbers of correct answers, it wasn't a particularly rewarding experience, more like those cross-country races we had to do at school that you were just relieved to get to the end of.

Be aware that putting 'General Knowledge' in the title doesn't equate to answers you'd expect to be carrying around in your head. Next time it'll have to be the Sun Crossword book methinks!

Ricoh PX Digital Camera - Black (16MP, 5x Optical Zoom, Waterproof 5MTR, Shockproof, Dustproof) 2.7 inch TFT (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Had to downgrade the rating, 4 Nov 2013
Further to my earlier review below, I have to downgrade my original rating. I dropped the camera a small distance, no more than 6 inches, onto a metal protrusion cracking the rear display (it would fall that way, wouldn't it!). It seems to me a camera designed for use in 'activity' conditions should be more robust than that. I seem to remember another reviewer experiencing the same thing, hence the downgrade.

On the minus side, it is well documented that the picture quickly becomes very grainy in poor light conditions so probably best to set the 'Maximum for ISO' option to no more than 400. As also commonly pointed out, the display on the back is not great but I can live with that - for me it's the captured image that is most important. [Incidentally, and I can't be certain of this, but I got the distinct impression that the picture displayed immediately after taking a shot looks sharper than when viewing it later in playback mode. In fact, if you set the LCD Confirmation Time to 'Hold' you can actually see the display switch to a fuzzier image after a couple of seconds. Why would that be I wonder?]

I purchased the camera principally for outdoor use so the low light limitation shouldn't normally apply. However, I was initially disappointed with the results in hazy conditions. I then discovered that the Super Resolution option improves things quite a bit though I'm not inclined to use it unless the standard results are wanting. There is also an Image Setting option which I haven't experimented with yet that may improve things further.

Something I wasn't expecting and a real bonus was how closely the camera can focus (I think 3cm's was mentioned somewhere). This is great for getting close-up detail of plants or insects etc.

I like the simple set of controls on the back and don't find the menu navigation to be too labyrinthine. You just need to have a play to get a feel for what is where.

Finally, I found the handbook to be pretty good (it's no use having great features if you don't know they're there or can't work out how to get to them) though you do sometimes have to hop through several onward references to arrive at the information you're looking for.

All in all a nice camera to have as a 'carry around'. Don't expect the results to get into National Geographic but they will give you something quite reasonable for you to show your friends what you did on your adventure holiday.

EVA hard camera case with carabiner for Pentax Optio RS1000 M90 H90 S1 RS1500 Ricoh PX, Efina Pentax
Offered by Accessories4U-1212
Price: 4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with the zip, 4 Nov 2013
I purchased the case for a Rioch PX. Quite soon after I started using it one of the tangs used to pull the zip round broke off. I was obviously too rough with it. Not a massive deal though as I can use some tough thread instead.

Bosch 25 Sanding Sheet Set for Orbital Sanders, 60-240 Grit, 93x230mm
Bosch 25 Sanding Sheet Set for Orbital Sanders, 60-240 Grit, 93x230mm
Price: 10.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Unclear which sanders they fit, 4 Nov 2013
It was unclear from the advertised description whether they were suitable for sanders requiring velcro-backed sheets. I took a flyer and got it wrong. They're not.

Blackspur BB-BD330 Adjustable Luggage Strap Set
Blackspur BB-BD330 Adjustable Luggage Strap Set
Price: 2.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not particuarly robust, 4 Nov 2013
Arrived promptly. One clip edge broke the first time I snapped it into place but it still holds and is adequate for my purposes..

The Who - Uncensored On the Record
The Who - Uncensored On the Record
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Light on factual accuracy?, 26 May 2013
Glancing through the online sample, I came across this comment about the track, The Ox: "Pete's guitar is overdriven and distorted and owes a lot to Hendrix." The album on which this track appeared was released in 1965. Jimi Hendrix didn't arrive in England with Chas Chandler until the end of 1966 which was when the London pop community first became aware of the great genius. Make what you will of that.