Profile for Mari > Reviews

The Universe Versus Alex Woods
by Gavin Extence
Price: 8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 6 Jan 2014
I loved that book. It's funny, it's touching and so well written that it's easy to read and you don't want to put it down. I loved the main characters and many of the supporting ones. I actually found the protagonist's honesty, rationality, open-mindedness, intelligence and innocence very relieving and easy to connect to. However its most important attribute I think is the fact that the author manages to discuss important philosophical and controversial issues within the plot, without making the book heavy, tiring or melancholic and without being superficial about the issues discussed! The way he deals with it is in my view admirable. A great novel.

The Best Of Me
The Best Of Me
by Nicholas Sparks
Price: 7.11

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Me (Paperback)
This book is a disappointment. I'm really sorry to have spent my time and money on it. I would definitely not recommend it. It's not that the book is boring and not easy to read. On the contrary the 2/3s of it are pleasant and flowing well enough that you can read it in one go.

However as you reach the final part of the book you start to not believe in your eyes. First there is a slight inconsistency with the characters. The main heroine in the beginning appears to be strong and opinionated and defies everyone for the love of her life and then becomes this very weak person who constantly frustrates you with her choices and the things she says (or doesn't say). After a point it makes you wonder why the hero is in love with her at all. The mother who throughout the 2/3s of the book appears to be this shallow person who cares about appearances only, turns into a mother who gives the soundest advice of the whole book.

However, those are just details and if that was the only problem I'd be more or less ok. The worse thing is that the story itself is disappointing. Not because there's drama in it, life is not full of roses and if the book was, I wouldn't like it much either. It's because there's too much fake drama just for the sake of it. I mean the author is using one in a million coincidences and metaphysical situations just to create plot and to not allow the characters to finally make their choices.

The end was not really a surprise, you could see it coming after a while however until the final pages I was waiting for an unpredicted turning point. I could not really believe that he was going where I thought he was.

Overall a huge disappointment not worth my time at all.

BEST WOMEN'S EROTICA 2008
BEST WOMEN'S EROTICA 2008
by Violet Blue
Price: 9.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 31 Oct 2010
I've read much better stories of that type. The specific ones are very mediocre. I wouldn't recommend this book.