Profile for S. Graves > Reviews

Content by S. Graves

S. Graves "blacksquirrel" (portsmouth, uk)

Page: 1 | 2
Invicta F0051 Black IP Unisex Analogue Watch with Leather Strap
Invicta F0051 Black IP Unisex Analogue Watch with Leather Strap

4.0 out of 5 stars Big, bold and brassy, 8 April 2010
When I first opened the Amazon packaging I was dazzled by the massive bright yellow Invicta packaging. The box is the height of overpowering canary yellow with loads of flaps, lids, padding and tissue paper...

But there was the watch........

My first impression was horror, followed by laughter, it was huge, wide, thick and very very heavy. A bit like wearing a full size clock on your wrist.... I almost felt like a middle class Chuck D.

My girlfriend told me it was vile and send it back straight away... I agreed and re-packaged it.

Later in the evening I went back, re-opened the box and took a closer look, yes it is garish and over the top, and possibly way too big, but it is very well built and has a certain bold charm. I love the little design flourishes and started to warm to its advances.

Anyway after much backwards and forwards, packing up again and then unpacking I finally realised that yes I wanted this watch in my life.

In summary: Its big, bold and garish, its too heavy and generally over the top... but, its got balls :-)

Great

The Mist [Blu-ray]
The Mist [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Thomas Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars something for everyone, intelligent and scary, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Mist [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I must admit that when I started watching this film I was expecting your run of the mill horror franchise. I could not have been more wrong, right from the start the least you could say is that 'The Mist' is a very very good horror B movie.... then you start noticing the subtle hints towards how various personalities work within stressful situations, leading up to the full blown social stereotypes, the religious nutter praying on peoples fear and weakness, and those willing to believe just because they are scared..... you are left thinking this film is very good...

Now, and I cant believe no one has really mentioned this, the ending is the icing on the cake, this is what makes the film five stars instead of four. I wont ruin it for you, but it was so amazing, so upsetting, so worrying and thought provoking that I immediately played it three times in a row. The use of a very famous Dead Can Dance track just adds to the ambiance.

Please please see this film and watch it till the very end.... you will have your heart in your throat, and just when you thinks its over..... it isn't....If you are a parent, you will be heartbroken at the decision taken, and the eventual outcome will rip your heart out!

Knowle West Boy
Knowle West Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars It may be a cliche but this is a real return to form, 9 July 2008
This review is from: Knowle West Boy (Audio CD)
I have been an avid follower of Tricky since Maxinquaye, which most people deem his finest moment. Although I do think Maxinquaye is a great album I really feel Tricky began maturing with Blowback and Vulnerable, he has been finding his feet and losing that hit and miss approach, creating an instantly recognisable 'Tricky' sound, and at the same time sticking two fingers up to those that wanted Maxinquaye MKII.

This album see Tricky creating more disjointed beats and bleeps, low growls and sweet females, mixing political rants (Coalition) against long forgotten teenage angst (School Gates).

I know every release is touted as a return to form but this album is truly the strongest material he has ever released, its not easy listening and those wanting Bristolian coffee table trip hop should go elsewhere. Its Tricky and Tricky only.

He even provides another slightly odd cover, this time Kylie Minogues 'Slow'

If you dont believe me try Coalition and Cross To Bear... wonderful...

A Skin, A Night DVD + Virginia CD EP
A Skin, A Night DVD + Virginia CD EP

4.0 out of 5 stars Great EP, awful DVD., 14 Jun 2008
OK lets get the positive stuff done. 4 Stars for the excellent CD EP, its worth buying for this alone, all the tracks are really strong and well recorded, including the demos and live tracks, a brilliant addition to the back catalogue.....

The down side is that the DVD is awful, ok I admit I only managed to watch about 22mins of the full hour. Its really well shot and has some lovely images... so maybe turn the sound off and listen to the EP instead whilst watching it.

Unfortunately its very very pretentious, lots of random shots and sounds, almost like a ponderous ambient track, when there is some speaking its so low in the mix and covered by muzak that its too difficult to hear. And whats being said not very interesting.

Why are there so many 'making of' dvd's like this now.... buy this for the EP and leave the DVD in the sleeve
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2009 3:59 PM GMT

Hourglass
Hourglass
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Just fantastic, 28 Oct 2007
This review is from: Hourglass (Audio CD)
Being an avid Depeche Mode fan I was very exited about the first DG solo effort, unfortunately it was not up to the first class standard. It was good but not great.

I was a bit hesitant about listening to this follow up solo album. But I am happy to say that it is just fantastic..... all the electro and angst that you would want. just brilliant....

Its interesting, it seems that DG brings the mellowness and love to Depeche Mode and not the melodies and lyrics...

But I would recommend this album to all as it is just a great electronic album..... better than the last 3 Depeche Mode albums.

BBC Sessions
BBC Sessions

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice addition to the catalogue, 26 July 2007
This review is from: BBC Sessions (Audio CD)
It seems that we have a complete collection of all the BBC recordings here. All packaged in the usual Tindersticks style. The cd looks damn good in with all the others.

The recordings are fantastic, clear and well played as is expected of the band, althought looking down the tracklisting may not inspire you to purchase this release... how many versions of these songs can one person own. But it is the way they are played which is so interesting. They are in chronological form and you can almost feel the band developing their live skills throughout.

I disagree with the previous reviewer although some of the tracks are similar other have very different feels to them, especially the earlier tracks where they were developing their sound.

Basically, this release is the best sounding live recordings I have heard from them. Only 4 stars instead of 5 as the tracklisting could have been more adventurous.

The Cure: Festival 2005 [DVD] [2006]
The Cure: Festival 2005 [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Cure
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me realise how great they are, 27 Dec 2006
I am an on / off Cure fan since the days of Seventeen Seconds. Recently I have getting to know Bloodflowers and realising how great they can be. The new album 'The Cure' is still a bit of a mystery.

With this in mind and following the ok'ish Trilodgy DVD, and whilst still waiting for Cure in Orange to be released I bought this DVD with a little more than my fingers crossed.

Luckily this DVD is just amazing.... it manages to truly capture how great the Cure can be. I was initially worried that after reading that it contained footage shot by fans, crew and rear projections that it would be a dvd of bootlegs etc for the hard core fans. Luckily it all adds to the live cure experience and the sound is brilliant.

To round up... Great visuals, Great Sound, Great tracklisting oh and with Porl and Gallup joining Fat Bob almost a classic lineup.

Brilliant.... buy it

First And Last And Always (Remastered & Expanded)
First And Last And Always (Remastered & Expanded)

5.0 out of 5 stars The original versio re-issued, 4 Nov 2006
Although it is really great to finally get some quality versions of the b side tracks. The real benefit of this release is the fact that this is the original mix of the album and not the 1992 re-master / mix. Some of the tracks are very different. Including a cleaner Black Planet to different versions of FaLaA and Rock and a Hard Place. Brilliant release. thanks you. Can we now please have the Sisterhood album as well.

Genesis And Revelation
Genesis And Revelation
Offered by discchord

1.0 out of 5 stars Please don't buy this release, 30 Oct 2006
This review is from: Genesis And Revelation (Audio CD)
As mentioned in the previous review it is basically a collection of dodgy remixes (I cant tell the difference to the originals) and awful bootleg footage and recordings. Please feel free as a collector to get this box set as there is one great remix of Power but its a lot of money for one track.

A ripoff basically, but one you can understand from Jungle as Carl McCoy didnt do them any favours.

Carnival
Carnival
Offered by cheapcdsdvds

5.0 out of 5 stars Improving with every release, 25 Jan 2006
This review is from: Carnival (Audio CD)
New Model Army are one of those rare bands that seem to be improving with age, apart from a slight lull with Love of Hopeless Causes, every successive release has built on the previous, the last album 'Eight' was almost perfect. With this in mind I eagerly placed 'Carnival' into my cd player and sat back, I Wasn't quite sure what to make of it on first listen,'Water' is the weakest song on the album and it astounds me that it is the opener. but having played it several times, I now think that this may be their best work to date. Standout tracks are 'Carlisle Road', 'Red Earth', 'Another Imperial Day' and lets not forget 'Fireworks Night' dedicated to the late Robert Heaton. NMA are a criminally underrated UK band, do yourself a favour and buy this cd.

Page: 1 | 2