Profile for astroman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Twin Peaks - Definitive Gold Box Edition (Slimline Packaging) [DVD] [1990]
Twin Peaks - Definitive Gold Box Edition (Slimline Packaging) [DVD] [1990]
Dvd ~ Kyle MacLachlan

5.0 out of 5 stars Lynch's masterwork, a balanced and mesmerizing presentation of his eccentricity and his insight, 28 April 2015
Lynch's work often descends into incoherent lunacy, and not in a good way. Twin Peaks was the one example I have ever watched (and I have watched them ALL) where he seemed to have a moment of lucidity, where his madness was controlled enough to express powerful and unexpected insights into human psychology and the passages of our personal self-realization. At times it seems he deliberately gets pretentious (the whole civil war lameness for instance) but for the most part, he keeps his over-earnestness under lock and key. The intellectual harmonization of the music with the intro and content throughout was one of the most mesmerizing features, and alone is worth paying close attention to. Even 25 years later, Twin Peaks remains very fresh and very enjoyable to novices.

JVC HA-FX35-S Marshmallow Comfortable Fit Earphones - Silver
JVC HA-FX35-S Marshmallow Comfortable Fit Earphones - Silver
Offered by ECOTRONICS

5.0 out of 5 stars and cheerfully easy to replace, 28 April 2015
I have re-bought six or seven pairs of these earbuds. Cheap, high quality, and cheerfully easy to replace. And small and very very comfortable. No lugging around hyper NASA-quality noise cancelling monsters: these work on long flights or daily commutes perfectly well.

CCTV in operation, 150x200mm, rigid plastic
CCTV in operation, 150x200mm, rigid plastic
Offered by The Uk Safety Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as reported. Plastic required pre-drilling to prevent fracture ..., 28 April 2015
Works as reported. Plastic required pre-drilling to prevent fracture when mounted with screws.

New Buffalo Classic Boots 1348-14 BLACK Platform Shoes / Trainers Sizes UK 3-8 (UK 8, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab boots that are a rare combination of super comfortable and oddly stylish (to me at least), 28 April 2015
Fab boots that are a rare combination of super comfortable and oddly stylish (to me at least). I've been told I look like an anime character wearing these, and yet they are not wild enough to provoke a negative reaction in reasonably (e.g. not super) professional settings. Not for everyone, though, as it is admittedly an unusual look. I was pleased to find these on amazon, as the (lying) traders in Camden loudly proclaimed that buffalo had gone out of business.

Solid Wood, Chess and Draughts (Checkers)
Solid Wood, Chess and Draughts (Checkers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to pack and unpack, 28 April 2015
A solidly made and unpretentious wooden set of chess and checkers. Easy to pack and unpack, much better feel than cheap plastic junk. I recommend the extra money for something that is worth using--we play every night now.

Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 3500319 Mini Bicycle Lock with Integrated Chain 1055 Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Undefeatable. Can be a challenge to find a proper ..., 28 April 2015
Undefeatable. Can be a challenge to find a proper location to use it, as it is such a tight lock with no play in the chain's length.

Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
by Cathy MacLennan
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars This remained a favorite from age 12 months to 4 years, 28 April 2015
Possibly the most hypnotic, rhythmic, and enjoyable toddler book currently on the market -- for parents and kids! This remained a favorite from age 12 months to 4 years. I'd consider it a successor to the Dr Suess lineage, but targeted to little ones with more complex rhyming rhythms and the kinds of graphics I remember clearly from my own childhood. Most highly recommended.
Note that other works by Cathy MacLennan vary widely in quality, though the quality of a few do approach Chicky.

Belle de Jour's Guide to Men
Belle de Jour's Guide to Men
by Belle de Jour

3.0 out of 5 stars I was somewhat disappointed, as it could have been in fact extremely ..., 28 April 2015
Belle de Jour provides amusing, but at many points chaotic and unstructured, advice to women on how to interact with me. Ample criticism of both genders is included in this work. The value throughout is mostly based on her self-deprecating wit and the sprinkled highbrow references within a decidedly lowest common denominator topic of advice. I'd say it was worth what I paid (GBP 0.01 + low shipping) but not much more. A beach read for vacation. On one level, I was somewhat disappointed, as it could have been in fact extremely valuable to everyone if more discipline and thought had gone into clearer structuring and more disciplined thinking about gender relations. Instead, it was clearly written to turn a fast pound.

Kryptonite New York M18 Lock
Kryptonite New York M18 Lock

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad mother lock - just what the doctor ordered, 5 April 2015
Six weeks ago, my motorcycle as well as our bicycle seats were stolen from the brightly lit and CCTV covered back alleyway behind our house. We decided to get serious about our push-bike security, because our transport are bikes that are super-expensive dutch cargobikes. We could not put them in our back yard, as it is the size of a matchbox. This lock was the answer: it is a MASSIVE deterrent, totally uncuttable with anything short of high voltage power tools. When combined with a really good ground anchor, well...I sleep well at night about those bikes.
Strongly recommended, and very much worth the money.
Don't bother with cheaper security items: that is what my motorcycle was locked with!

Consciousness Explained (Penguin Science)
Consciousness Explained (Penguin Science)
by Daniel C. Dennett

3.0 out of 5 stars I found this to be a poorly structured and somewhat ..., 19 Oct. 2014
I found this to be a poorly structured and somewhat speculative book. I struggled to get through the first three chapters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3