Profile for ShoppingQuine > Reviews

Content by ShoppingQuine

ShoppingQuine (Edinburgh, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony compatible STP-GB1AM Leather Hand Grip for Sony Alpha DSLR-A100, DSLR-A200, DSLR-A290, DSLR-A300, DSLR-A330, DSLR-A350, DSLR-A380, DSLR-A390, DSLR-A450, DSLR-A500, DSLR-A550, DSLR-A560, DSLR-A580, DSLR-A700, DSLR-A850, DSLR-A900
Offered by PowerPlanet Europe
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and your camera is ready for action, 26 Jan 2011
Once I'd worked out how to fit this onto my camera it didn't come off until the plastic base plate screw attachment split. I was screwing my tripod plate into the hand grip attachment, which is what you can do, however over time this caused the plastic to split from the pressure.

I highly recommend this strap as an inexpensive alternative to the uncomfortable neck strap. It's a really comfortable way to carry your camera and have it ready; the grip on my Sony a300 fits quite naturally and, with the wrist strap, securely in my hand.

I'm buying a replacement and will be looking after it much better!

Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment
Raynox DCR-250 Macro Attachment
Offered by EXTREME DEALS
Price: 39.00

5.0 out of 5 stars It is worth getting to know this Raynox, 25 May 2010
The other reviewers have covered what you need to know. Another photographer recommended this lens to me when I was considering getting either macro filters or extension tubes.

I needed a macro lens for a homework module. First time out of the box I couldn't 'see' anything! It didn't make sense to have the lens on full zoom then get up really close to the subject. Once I'd figured it out what you see through the lens is pretty impressive.

You need great light as being so close to your subject you can cast a shadow. I've used it mainly outdoors for that reason. My homework was to learn hand-held macro using the rocking technique. I've put up 3 pictures and both used this method. It's frustrating/fun in equal measure to use but I love it, plus it isn't horrendously expensive compared to a prime macro lens.

Avenir Fold Out Side Pannier Rack Bag - Black, 10/20 Litres
Avenir Fold Out Side Pannier Rack Bag - Black, 10/20 Litres
Price: 25.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Tardis-tastic!, 4 Nov 2009
I own traditional side panniers which are really easy to get on and off my panier rack. However I find that their handle straps tend to cut the circulation off in my fingers if I have to carry them around for any length of time. Carrying them on my hip can leave dirt on my clothes.

So I was looking for a decent sized day bag with a shoulder strap and I took a chance on ordering the Avenir Pannier Rack Bag.

I do not like to the velcro fastenings which secure the bag to the pannier rack. Way too time-consuming and fiddly, hence 4* not 5*. I've resorted to using a bungee which is much simpler and quicker. Since doing this I really can't fault this bike bag, it is exactly what I wanted.

I use it on my ride to and from work (6 mile round trip), and for day rides (30-40 miles). I've even used it as a holiday bag! The internal pannier pockets within a pocket are a really safe way of carrying important documents like a passport, and the main storage area is great for waterproofs, camera, tourist books and all the usual tourist paraphernalia.

I often pop into the supermarket on my way home from work and have found that the fold-away side panniers have proved adequate to carry the extra load. I wouldn't recommend using this bag specifically for shopping though as the material used for the panniers is quite thin (cagoul-like). The main body of the bag uses a more robust material, although it's worth noting that with with wear and tear some of the waterproofing material is now flaking off.

In wet weather I use the cover provided and haven't had any problems with water getting in.

I've been using the bag regularly for over a year and it's by far the best one for my needs.

The Right Way To Do Wrong
The Right Way To Do Wrong
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds like summer has finally arrived, 2 Aug 2009
My review is based on the mp3 download of the CD - it's been on repeat play since I downloaded it!

This is NOT a product created by a corporate music stable. This IS Myriad Creatures, Brits in Berlin writing damnably fine tunes with stealth hooks supported by crafted lyrics.

These guys know what they are doing and confidently put over their songs which are clearly distilled from observation and insight and delivered with wit and humour. No shoe-gazing here, quite the opposite.

The songs vary in tempo, I love the energetic guitar sound held together by the bass and drums and the play between the vocalists. It's hard to pick a favourite! Currently it's a toss-up between That's An Order and Ships in the Night.

NOW is the time to check them out so you can say you got into their music early. For they will become widely known, oh yes!

Taxi - Season 1 [DVD]
Taxi - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Judd Hirsch
Price: 9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly indulgent & wonderful nostalgia, 7 July 2009
This review is from: Taxi - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I remember Taxi with great fondness, it was one of the few things on TV in the 70s that the whole family would watch together and enjoy. When it disappeared off the TV I'd always wondered why.

I bought this as a birthday gift complete with selfish ulterior motive! I'm so glad I did. What impresses is the quality of the scripts, how well the cast interacts and the film quality is really good for a 70s TV show.

Anyone who watched the series when it first went out will melt into comfort mode with the first few opening bars of the theme tune.

My teenage daughter also loved watching all the discs with us which I think is a solid testimony to the quality of the show. Once again, 30 years later, the family (albeit a different line-up!) gathers on the sofa to enjoy Taxi :)

Series 2 is on my wish list for winter viewing. I highly recommend this to those who already have a soft spot for Taxi - for others maybe you could look for a taster on on YouTube before committing.

1600mAh High Capacity Extended Battery For LG KU990 Viewty
1600mAh High Capacity Extended Battery For LG KU990 Viewty

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful but ugly, 5 July 2009
First up I can't fault the seller for the product delivery and price.

My rating reflects the fact that the battery and back plate are really, really ugly and stick out from the back of my mobile like a hideous carbuncle. Note to the designers, what were you thinking?! The LG Viewty is a beautiful phone.

You have to use the (plastic) back plate as the battery is much thicker than the brand LG battery. Because of this my phone won't fit into the protective case I use. Instead I have to use a mock; I keep the spare battery & back plate in this now

I bought the battery as back-up for when I can't get the phone charged. For this purpose the battery is fine. I can't comment on the extended life as I haven't kept it in the phone long enough for it to run out. As soon as I've recharged the LG battery it goes back in!

If you are as precious about the look of your phone as I am then this is not for you.

*** REVIEW UPDATE ***
Just a wee update to my review; a bit of humble pie eating here!

I kept the battery in until it was completely discharged and was pretty impressed by how much extra time I got from it. I was away from home so using my phone more than normal plus listening to music and watching videos on it.

With my normal fairly low use I have to recharge every 2nd day. I got at least an extra days worth with above average use. So on the battery purpose alone I should really have given this 5*. After all looks aren't everything ... apparently! I still think it's an ugly wee blighter but an excellent backup powerhouse. My humble pie is eaten :)

LG KU990 Viewty Cabriolet Multidapt Case
LG KU990 Viewty Cabriolet Multidapt Case

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you want to protect your phone, 27 Mar 2009
The LG KU990 is a beautiful phone so it's worth protecting.

I initially tried the silicon case but this didn't cover the lens (no protection for the lens on the phone).

This case is well made and designed for purpose, it's brilliant! Much better in real life than the pictures lead you to expect. There's a utility on the back which you can accessorise by ordering further parts but I'm not using it as it really bulks up the phone.

The main thing is the lens is covered and the camera is well protected. It makes the phone feel more robust in the hand and doesn't detract from the phone at all. Great price, great product. I am happy!

EMARTBUY LG KU990 / KU990i VIEWTY DIAMOND PATTERN GEL SKIN COVER/CASE SMOKE BLACK + SCREEN PROTECTOR
Offered by FLASHSUPERSTORE
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's designed to do., 21 Mar 2009
The LG Viewty is a beautiful phone. I wanted to protect it right from the start from the harsh knocks of life :)

I went for the double-deal with the 2GB SD card. A great deal which I recommend.

The silicon case is not very pretty but it is better than some I've seen on other gadgets. It doesn't protect the camera lens, there is no lens cover on the phone, but I was aware of this when I ordered the case.

It's really easy to put on the phone and fits really well. Feed through your stylus first if you have it attached to the phone, this is the voice of experience!

I agree with another reviewer the case is tactile and prevents the phone slipping which is invaluable.

However I've now ordered a new case which has a detachable cover over the lens area. LG KU990 Viewty Cabriolet Multidapt Case The camera part of the phone is the reason I bought it so I want to make sure the lens doesn't get too dirty or scratched.

PURE Chronos CD DAB/FM/CD/MP3 Stereo Clock Radio  - White
PURE Chronos CD DAB/FM/CD/MP3 Stereo Clock Radio - White

4.0 out of 5 stars Big on functionality thin-ish on sound quality, 28 Sep 2008
I was looking to replace the mess of wires that was the hi-fi unit in our kitchen; this unit comprised a CD player, cassette player and radio. With some Heath Robinson DAB contraption using an extra plug point and further gadgetry to allow mp3 players to play!

I was desperate to find something compact, which ran off ONE plug and which would have an auxiliary access point for an mp3 player cable (we have three different mp3 players in our house - none of them iPod). Incorporated DAB radio was also high on my wish list - if the thing looked half-way decent I would also be happy. The cassette player was not an issue :)

Enter the PURE Chronos CD DAB:
Radio (DAB & FM);
CD player (which plays mp3 CDs but the random play algorithm is iffy);
Alarm Clock;
Auxiliary port for mp3 player cable (lets any mp3 play);
compact;
remote control;
stylish, and
bonus points as the unit arrived with the clock set to the right time and all the radio presets set.

The only fly in the ointment is the sound quality. The hi-fi has a fulsome, meaty sound with good bass, the Chronos is comparatively light and thin even after playing around with settings. The volume is good and is more than adequate for the room size.

Sound purists will have issues with this, but from my point of view the functionality, style and size of the PURE Chronos is marvellous.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2008 8:02 PM GMT

iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player - Slate Grey
iRiver H10 20GB MP3 Player - Slate Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars iRiver - for listening to music and free from ties, 11 Mar 2008
I just don't get iPods. I'm not into badges of status I prefer no-nonsense functionality. Plus iTunes is rigidly exclusive to the Apple brand and their file formats are really not flexible for non-iPod players.

I've had my iRiver H10 since 2006 and I chose it because of it's versatility, ease of use when synched with Windows Media Player 10 and specifically for the removable battery. I bought a spare battery which has proved to be a real asset for long journeys.

The best piece of advice I can impart is download new firmware to improve the performance of your player.

Recently my iRiver came up with 'System files not found' message. Some people have been getting rid of their iRiver H10 players for this reason. Should this happen get in touch with iRiver Europe via the company website and follow the guides under 'Support'. I've sent the unit back for repair.

It sounds good and looks good, it's a compact size and the screen display is sharp. Definitely a player for music fans. Not one for you if you want movies though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2008 12:39 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2