ARRAY(0xa26a55d0)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Best of Keane - Deluxe Editon
The Best of Keane - Deluxe Editon

5.0 out of 5 stars A decade of pure genius, 22 Nov 2013
A great celebration of of fantastic band. For me, Keane are the most original and creative band to emerge from the last decade. Their output speaks for itself, not least the fabulous collection of B-sides on the deluxe version, which I have always thought warrant being made into an album in their own right.
I don't really understand some of the criticisms made in other reviews on here. The album does what it says on the tin, it is Keane's greatest hits. It may be called The Best of Keane, but it's meant to be a greatest hits collection with a few added extras. It's as simple as that, and either you like the music or you don't.
I have bought the album, even though I own all the albums, just to complete my collection. If people don't like the hits, then you can always make your own collection on iTunes etc. This album may not be everyone's 'best of' Keane collection, but this is what mp3 and players are for, so that you can make your own playlists!
It's great to have an album with all the singles together. I have spent the last half hour in a constant state of goose-pimples, such is the touching nature and musical quality of their songs. The songs are especially meaningful for me, living not far from their home county of Sussex. Many of their songs conjure up beautiful images of nostalgia, friendships and love, lost and found, in and around the sleepy town of Battle.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2013 12:22 PM GMT

JSG Accessories® Radio FM Transmitter for MP3 MP4 Players, Apple iPod iPhone, NOKIA, SONY, SAMSUNG, HTC
Offered by JSG Accessories

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 17 Sep 2013
I have given this item 2 stars because when it works, it works well, provided that you find a blank FM frequency, not too close to other radio stations which will interfere with the signal. HOWEVER, here's the downside. I bought it hoping that I might be one of the lucky ones. Unfortunately not. It eats batteries like there's no tomorrow. It needs to be plugged in to the lighter socket as well to work. I don't understand why it needs batteries as well. The one I use for my ipod just works off the socket and does not need batteries. I even tried rechargeables, hoping that the power socket would recharge them. Alas, no!
If you forget to turn it off it will run out of power even sooner! I am buying an AUX adapter to fit to my hi-fi! A more expensive solution, but it should be better as it will not have the interference you get with FM transmission!

Anker® Astro 3E 10000mAh Portable High Capacity Dual-Port External Battery Power Bank Backup Charger for iPhone 5, 4S, 4, iPad 4, 3, 2, Mini, iPods (Apple adapters not included), Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, S2, Note 2, HTC One, EVO, Thunderbolt, Incredible, Droid DNA, Motorola ATRIX, Droid; Google Glass, Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, LG Optimus, PS Vita, Nook HD+ (30-pin adapter for Nook HD+ not included), GoPro and More
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Sep 2013
What a great little invention. The only problem is, it encourages me to be lazy about charging my phone. Great idea for teenagers too, to make sure they never run out of charge when they need to ring home!
This is probably the best product I have bought this year.

2 x Gas Spring / Tailgate Strut / Boot Strut FORD FOCUS MK 2 II 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 FROM 2004
Offered by ATP Car Parts Germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Did the job perfectly, 12 Feb 2013
Excellent price, just what was required. Fitted them myself. A word of warning though, be careful when taking the old ones off, the tail gate is extremely heavy! I held one side in place with mullgrips while I removed the other, but the grips were not strong enough. The tailgate collapsed, broke the break light, crushed my wrist and distorted the hinge on the tailgate! :/ If the grips hadn't broken the fall I probably would have broken my wrist instead!

Strangeland
Strangeland
Offered by Side Two

4.0 out of 5 stars More like home shores than a strangeland!, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Strangeland (Audio CD)
If 'Perfect Symmetry' was a venture into uncharted waters, then' Strangeland', despite its title, is definitely a return to safer shores. There have been some unfavourable critical reviews of Keane and in the past, and already this album has met with some flack. It seems that many corners of the the music industry do not take kindly to well groomed, well spoken lads from cozy East Sussex. It's just not rock 'n' roll to be clean living and well educated (criticisms that have been aimed at Coldplay despite their global success). Putting towns like Bexhill and Battle on the map must also leave some music critics reeling. East Sussex is certainly no Venice Beach or Route 66. But with their thought provoking lyrics about love and friendship, there is a warm nostalgia and originality to Keane's songs, and this album is no exception.

It was always going to hard for Keane to scale the dizzy heights of 'Hopes and Fears' again. It seems the done thing in music to 'progress' and 'experiment' rather than staying within your comfort zone. Keane would have been forgiven for delivering more of the same after the success of their first album, but they did explore different musical areas on subsequent albums, not least with the foray into electro 80's pop and general musical experimentation on 'Perfect Symmetry'. After seeing the introduction of saxophones, amongst other unlikely instruments on that album, and with musical influences abound, (especially Bowie on at least two tracks), it seemed Keane were set to continue to experiment and further explore the obvious influences of their 80s heroes. Their musical versatility is very apparent, not least when they strike unlikely partnerships with musicians such as K'Naan. Their versatility and open-mindedness probably stems not from just their many influences, but also from their early days as a covers band.

With Tom picking up the guitar and the appointment of bassist/guitarist Jesse Quin, I felt the band would become a more 'traditional' outfit with regular guitar work. As a fan, that did not really concern me, since great music is great music, regardless of which tools are being used to create it. But I can't deny that, as a keyboard player myself, I rather liked the originality of a piano-led band.

It seems though, Keane have opted not to continue so much with musical experimentation, but to inject a little of what made their first album so great. The great thing about 'Hopes and Fears' (and 'Under the Iron Sea for that matter), was that the songs didn't sound like anybody else, they just sounded like Keane. For me, 'Strangeland' has for the most part, returned to that originality. Piano-driven songs with a backwash of retro keyboard sounds, plus voice, bass and drums. It is not a cop out to resurrect the sound that made you famous, it's doing what you do best. When Keane are being Keane, they are truly original. If originality is key for any art form, then these boys have it in abundance, and they are at their best when they are revelling in it. If you can create a sound so that when people hear it they say "Yep, that's Keane", then you are doing something right.

So what of the songs themselves? Their trademark sound is all over the opening track, 'You are Young' , which starts tentatively but explodes into a typical anthemic stadium favourite. Black Rain is uniquely brilliant. The soundscapes they create on that song are an achievement that Coldplay would be proud of. Tom's voice sounds uncannily like Morten Harket of A-ha on this track, a quality I have noticed before, but I don't think this is a deliberate attempt to sound like the Norwegian songster, it's just that his voice happens to have a similar nuance. Aside from this, and the Lennon-esque feel to 'Watch how you go', I can honestly say I am unable to hear any other obvious musical influences on this album. (Except maybe the build up to the chorus in 'The Starting Line', which for some reason makes me want to break into Oasis's 'Little by Little'!)

Each song on 'Strangeland' is beautifully crafted and exquisitely sung. Richard's drumming is crisp and contemporary, but still subtle enough to let the songs breathe. Despite the band's obvious individual talents, there are no virtuoso performances that take centre stage, and all the musicians collaborate to a achieve harmonious sound.

Tim's songwriting prowess is no secret, and this album is thick with his signature melodies and harmonies. The piano riff in 'The Starting Line' has stuck in my head for days. Rousing choruses are abound, notably on 'Sovereign Light Cafe', one of the songs that champions the band's days growing up as friends in East Sussex. I personally find it rather charming to hear songs about unlikely places that are familiar to me as a 'southerner'.

'Silenced by the Night' is a cracking good listen, and an obvious choice for the flagship release. And despite the return to a more familiar sound, there are a few interesting developments. 'Disconnected', a fabulously upbeat track despite the despondency of the lyrics, sounds like Keane in some respects, but is also refreshingly new and exciting.

The album is still not 'Hopes and Fears', but all in all a satisfying return to form. If you are a Keane fan, you will love it. It's difficult to see how any lover of music couldn't like it since Keane create great music. But the beauty of music is its diversity and the diversity of people's tastes. So don't let anybody else tell you whether this album is worth buying or not. Just buy it and see for yourself!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 22, 2012 9:18 AM BST

Anthems Alternative 80s
Anthems Alternative 80s

3.0 out of 5 stars pretty good compilation..poor choice of title..., 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Anthems Alternative 80s (Audio CD)
I am in complete agreement with the other reviewers. What is so alternative about this collection? The thing is, I am not totally surprised. the Electronic 80's Anthems have equally curious songs that come under the 'electronic' banner. It appears that anything goes, and if the band uses synthesizers then it somehow qualifies them as being 'electronic'. I mean, Human League, Ultravox, Visage etc..yes, certainly! But Simple Minds, Billy Idol and Blondie, as great as they are, do not in my reckoning qualify as 'electronic'.
On this collection, maybe they are talking about alternative as a music genre, but what does that actually mean? It was supposed to be a type of alternative rock that originated from punk according to wikipedia. On the likes of iTunes it appears to apply to anything that's not pop, rock or R&B!(Loosely!) The eighties, however, were alternative by their very nature. The richness of the charts was that it was packed full of rock, pop, metal, rap, hip-hop, ska, reggae, synth-pop, electro, mod, rock 'n' roll, soul, new romantic...I could go on. This is where this collection doesn't make sense, as many of the hits on this album were mainstream hits, and the musical style was not necessarily 'alternative' as a genre. You could call Simple Minds' 'Theme for Great Cities' alternative, but I'm not sure I would refer to Duran Duran as alternative? Hmm...confusing...

Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo DS)
Offered by Turbotrance

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware the Resetti character! Shocking!, 29 Dec 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I am glad to see that others have also reviewed and complained about the character 'Resetti' I have just experienced 'Resetti' myself and I am quite angered by it. I am compelled to write a very similar review. My 9 year old daughter showed this character to me and though she wasn't upset by it because she hadn't read it, she couldn't understand what the mole was doing. When I read the outburst I was shocked. Shocked that a children's game that has a 3 plus rating (pegi... you need to get a grip) should have such a character. Children of a young age are going to make the mistake of not saving, and what's wrong with a gentle reminder? Who's idea was it to have this ridiculous character? The whole idea of this tirade is so ridiculously inappropriate that it amazes me. Both nintendo and pegi should hang their heads in shame. When I think of the innocent charm of children's books of old like Beatrix Potter, this kind of computer game aggression is so far removed from that I wonder what has gone wrong in our society. I know times change but is there really any need to relax those traditional values in this new digital age? To all those people who have posted replies to this saying that it's a fuss about nothing, well you either don't have children or you simply thunk it doesn't matter. Well I'm afraid it does. The idea of a ranting animal using such language as 'twerp, punk, nut-job, ' is outrageous. Yes they will hear worse than this at school, but it's not just the words, it's the general tone. Children should not be encouraged to think it's OK to go on these kinds of rants. What people don't understand is that it's the start of a slippery slope. You let one thing go and that gives way to something bigger. This kind of de-sensitizing approach to bad language and violence is why kids don't even find games like resident evil shocking. I enjoy playing certain horror games like this but even I as a 41 year old adult I find them a bit disturbing, yet some children I know of 12 or 13 have played them and don't seem bothered by them which to me is quite worrying. What is the point of having parental guidance if its wrong? Games like this should not be given a 3 plus rating. And why is there no warning? Apparently the Animal Crossing "Lets go to the City" game has a warning in the instructions, well there's no such warning for this game that I can see.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2012 11:00 AM BST

Apple 85w Power Adapter for MacBook Pro
Apple 85w Power Adapter for MacBook Pro

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous!, 24 Nov 2010
First, let me stress that I did not purchase one of these from Amazon, but I am posting this just out of annoyance and to spread awareness about a prouct that is clearly inferior according to other reviews, but also dangerous. I bought my MacBook second hand and the power cord was frayed when I received it. Last night the frayed portion actually began smoking and melted.I very angry about this for had I not been present it could have caught a house fire. I haven't approached apple yet as it is second hand and out of warranty..but regardless they should sort this out it is DANGEROUS!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2013 8:28 PM BST

Littlest Pet Shop (Wii)
Littlest Pet Shop (Wii)
Offered by GX-ENTERTAINMENT UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 10 Nov 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I can't recommend this game highly enough. My 9 year old still plays it more than any other Wii game, it's just perfect for little girls who love LPS. The game play is engaging enough to hold her interest without being too difficult. The pets are cute and the music is great and doesn't get on your nerves! Great value for money, this game far outstrips many of the more expensive offerings for the Wii.

Night Train
Night Train

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuing to explore new territory, 25 May 2010
This review is from: Night Train (Audio CD)
As much as I love the piano-driven unique sound of Hopes and Fears, I guess it's only right that bands should explore new sounds to avoid becoming stale. They have tried stuff on this EP and the previous album, which, by their own admission, they would not have had the guts to do on their first album. I can't help but love the 80's influences, and if Keane had been around in the 80's, songs such as 'Your Love', which incidentally is a masterfully composed and arranged pop song, and 'Ishin Denshin' would have not sounded at all out of place.

It's only natural that for an outfit that started out as covers band, are at some point or other going to want to find an outlet for all their musical influences.

I was, like many others, a little unsure about the fusion of Keane and rap on 'Stop for a Minute', but I can't help liking it for the catchy tune that it is. I think the problem is, a band from leafy Sussex with public schoolboy accents, as other reviewers have suggested, is about as far from the street sound of rap as you can get. Since most Keane fans probably like Keane for those reasons, the idea of them exploring the rap genre, fills most fans with dread. The subtle beauty and superbly crafted vocals and melodies of Keane is a stark contrast to the often aggressive sound of rap. But lets face it K'Naan is not exactly a gangster rapper and I think he pulls off the fusion pretty well, not least because he can actually sing as well. I suppose I admire Keane for trying to break down musical barriers, after all Coldplay have worked with Jay-Z, whose rap on their alternative version of Lost! (Prospekt's March) worked pretty well for me. Others have pulled off fusing rap with other genres. Debbie Harry did it in 'Rapture', Aerosmith and Run DMC did it with 'Walk this Way', though it has to be said heavy rock and rap probably sit closer on the musical stage than rap and alternative indie!

I think I'm just a little concerned that Keane, in striving for new sounds, will lose their core sound that sets them apart from other bands. They already started to sound more mainstream when they started using guitars on 'Perfect Symmetry'. The mature sound on Hopes and Fears, and to an even greater extent, their B-sides from this era, was so unique, it would just seem a bit of a shame if Keane deviated from this path too much. Having said this, I don't think introducing a poppier feel to many of their songs has 'dumbed them down' in any sense. Musically and lyrically they are still as clever as they've always been. But I just wonder if the influence of black music to the extent of rap is a step too far for Keane? There's nothing wrong with being influenced by black music per se, but it seems everybody else is doing that, especially since the charts are so R and B influenced, and Keane offer up something different. They will probably introduce themselves to a lot of new fans by doing so, but it may be at the expense of some of their old fans.

Songs on 'Night Train', such as the beautifully haunting 'My shadow' are more like the Keane of old. Keane somehow manage to meld feel good with a kind of melancholic nostalgia that cements their songs into your head and will be so reminiscent of their era when you look back in years to come. Music has a great way of becoming a musical diary of your life and Keane have a great way of doing this since their songs seems to be already nostalgic even when you first hear them.

All great artists explore new territories and are not always appreciated for it until much later on. So for their usual musically accomplished genius, it's 4 stars from me, at the risk of being narrow-minded, with the 5th star standing in the background shouting, "don't change TOO much Keane, we love you as you were!"
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2010 9:11 AM BST