Profile for starbucksgal > Reviews

"starbucksgal"

Pages for You
Pages for You
by Sylvia Brownrigg

4.0 out of 5 stars "I'd like to borrow from you those miles you've seen...", 27 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Pages for You (Paperback)
Pages for You was an impulse buy at 5.30 in the morning, with the prospect of a three-hour train journey and nothing to read looming on the horizon. Eleven months later, it's been thumbed through more times than I care to count and has whole passages committed to memory.
It is the story of two people who fell in love. The fact that they are both women is, beyond a couple of passing references to the outside world, incidental. It can be identified with by anyone who has ever experienced unrequited love, anyone who has ever been in love, anyone who has ever tasted betrayal, and anyone who has even just dreamed. The narrative is written in the third-person, but reading the prologue and between the lines, the narrator is an older, wiser, and more cynical Flannery, telling a story woven around her poem, "Pages for You", from which the novel takes its name. With enviable ease, it demonstrates sensuality and eroticism without becoming cheap and graphic.
Sylvia Brownrigg transcends international borders, outside experiences, and sexualities, resulting in a commentary relevant to every person in the universe on the crazy things we're willing to do for love.

Into The Woods (Peters, Gleason, Zien, Aldredge, Westenberg)
Into The Woods (Peters, Gleason, Zien, Aldredge, Westenberg)

4.0 out of 5 stars Into the Woods, 3 July 2003
This is one of those musicals that not that many people on this side of the Atlantic have heard of, and, when you initially hear what it's about, you tend to be dubious. That, at least, was my reaction when I volunteered to help out with an amateur production and was told what the show would be. Now, having been the assistant producer and as such both flogged tickets and sat through endless rehearsals, it's an amazing show with fabulous music. From the beautiful and poignant Act 2 Finale 'Children Will Listen' to the recurring theme track 'Into The Woods', which has a more upbeat tempo, this is a musical you will enter into with trepidation but, once into the songs and the story, will realise that had you passed it by, you would have regretted it.

The Last Precinct
The Last Precinct
by Patricia Cornwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare For The Ride Of Your Life, 21 Aug. 2001
This review is from: The Last Precinct (Paperback)
I have read most of the Dr Kay Scarpetta books and those that I have read to date, loved, but never before has one left me feeling so satisfied, physically shaking, and disappointed that it's over. This is the longest by a good two hundred pages, but don't let that put you off. The book needed to be that long.
In this, the eleventh novel, we are taken out of the autopsy suite for a large part of the action. The technical details are, sparsely at least, still there, but that is not the point of the story. Much as I love the grisly autopsy scenes that have become a trademark of this series, the heart of this one is in Kay's emotional and professional journey as she is accused of murder. Teun McGovern (Point of Origin) is back, a new character in the shape of formidable female New York special prosecuter Jaime Berger is introduced, Benton comes in for more than the obligatory mention, and Lucy and Marino fans will not be disappointed either. Patricia Cornwell's decision to ease up on the technical stuff and explore the souls of her characters was, in my opinion, the right one.
It took me longer to read this one than it normally would, because I felt compelled to ration out the reading so that it would not end too quickly. I was incredibly disappointed when I finally got to the end six days after beginning.
I have only two niggling complaints, which did not really detract from my enjoyment. The first is an irritating inconsistency in small details. For example, Kay Scarpetta has been the CME of Virginia for a little over a decade, yet Lucy Farinelli is eighteen years older than she was in 'Postmortem'. Kay has grown two inches since the beginning of the series. Small things, but they bothered me. The second is something that nobody can do anything about. I miss Benton. But apart from these, this was honestly the best novel I have read in some time. Bring on number twelve...

The Sixth Sense [DVD] [1999]
The Sixth Sense [DVD] [1999]
Dvd ~ Bruce Willis
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A film that you will want to watch over and over, 3 Jun. 2001
This review is from: The Sixth Sense [DVD] [1999] (DVD)
This was actually the first time I ever saw Bruce Willis in anything, and, shame to say, was not even too sure who he was. But I almost guarantee that you will end this viewing in tears. Unlike most of my family, I did not figure out the twist until about five minutes before the end, and if you don't know it, it adds a whole new dimension. Even if you do figure it out, this movie is compelling viewing. And with Cole's line, 'Grandma comes to see me sometimes... she said you went to her grave and asked her a question, and she wants you to know that the answer is, 'every day'.' This film will become a timeless classic.