Profile for Ben Dunne > Reviews

The Last of Us - Ellie Edition [PEGI]
The Last of Us - Ellie Edition [PEGI]
Offered by Soprano Entertainment
Price: 117.95

4.0 out of 5 stars The greatest game I have ever played, but a slightly disappointing Special Edition, 2 July 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
It would be pointless for me to put into words just how much I love this game as so many others have already done it better than I ever could. As a massive fan of survival horror, this game was everything I wanted and so much more besides. It's one of the most tense, beautiful, violent, heartbreaking and thought provoking games I have ever played. It's a game everyone should experience. Hell, it's worth buying for the first 20 minutes alone. Joel and Ellie are my two favourite game characters ever, and I imagine many others will feel the same way upon completing the game.
The main reason I decided to write a review for this title is because a few months prior to release, I decided to pre-order the Ellie Edition of the game from GameStop and for the most part, it turned out to be a worthwhile purchase. You get several bits and pieces in the Ellie Edition, including:

1. A mini comic book.
2. A special game case featuring several images of the Ellie character.
3. A hardback mini art book.
4. An Ellie PS3 controller skin.
5. An A2 sized screen print effect poster featuring Ellie.
6. A LittleBigPlanet Ellie sackgirl costume.
7. Sights and Sounds pack: Includes a digital download copy of the game's stunning soundtrack, a dynamic theme, a special Ellie theme and a Joel and Ellie avatar.
8. Survival Pack. Plenty of multiplayer bonuses are included in this pack, such as customisable multiplayer items and bonus XP.
9. A canvas wrap to store all the aforementioned items.

And that in a nutshell, is the Ellie Edition. The Joel edition is very similar, except his image replaces Ellie's on the various items. While I do believe this edition to be worth the money overall, there were a few things that bugged me a little. For example, the comic that comes with this edition is only the first part in a four part series. Meaning that if you want to discover the whole story featured in the comic's, you will have to buy the other three issues separately. It's not that big of a deal, but I would have preferred it if they had combined all four issues into one big issue for special editions of the game. Another thing that annoyed me a little was the artbook. Don't get me wrong, the artwork in the book is amazing, but I didn't like the way they advertised the 'Full' 176 paged artbook at the back. I mean, after paying so much for these special editions, shouldn't we getting the full thing by default? The poster also was very creased from the several times it had to be folded in fit in the canvas wrap. But if you put it in a poster frame like I did, the creases should disappear over time.
But overall, the pro's outweigh the cons. The whole thing is packaged and displayed beautifully. The comic and art book are both well produced and well worth the extra money to own. And as long as your PS3 has an internet connection, the huge amount of DLC you get with this edition make it well worth owning.

BioShock Infinite (PS3)
BioShock Infinite (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online
Price: 14.43

5.0 out of 5 stars A more than worthy entry in the Bioshock franchise., 28 Mar 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly, I should start off by saying that usually when I buy a new game it will last me a good while, even if it's only a few hours in length. I finished this in just two sittings. Even Bioshock 1 took me nearly a full week to beat. But Bioshock Infinite isn't most games. It's engaging, addictive and you will think about it almost constantly even once you power off your console or PC for the night. The world of columbia is simply stunning and unlike anything you've ever seen in a game. When I first heard that Infinite was going to be set in a city in the sky, I wasn't sure how to feel. Rapture was quite possibly my favourite game environment ever. I loved the 1950's art deco, the dark creepy hallways and the destroyed beauty of the city. But as much as I love Rapture, when your zipping along sky rails or gazing in awe at one of the many beautiful vista's columbia presents, the city under the sea will be the last thing on your mind.
I'd say the single best part of Infinite however, would be Elizabeth. She's an amazing character and one you will grow very fond of during the course of your journey. It seems Irrational took a page from Half Life 2's book and created a partner character who is not only very likeable, but who doesn't get in your way or has to be taken care of by you. In fact, any time she wasn't around me, I actually began to miss her and even shootouts started to feel mundane without my friend there to throw me ammo or change the battle environment for me. As likeable as Alex was, I never really missed her when she wasn't around. The fact that I actually missed a load of pixels in Infinite should show you just how talented the guys at Irrational are. I wouldn't say I fell in love with Elizabeth but I enjoyed every minute I spent with her in the game. That's more than I can say for most A.I partners in games.
The one real complaint I had about the original Bioshock was that you couldn't really die. Every time you did, you would simply re-spawn at the nearest Vita-Chamber and go on your merry way. You could basically complete the whole game through sheer force of will. Unfortunately, the same kind of idea applies in Infinite too. It's not as bad though. Every time you die, Elizabeth will revive you, but you will lose some money from your wallet and enemies will gain some of their health back. I'm currently on my second playthrough and i'm playing on the hardest difficulty, 1999 mode. I highly urge anyone planning to play through this game more than once to give this mode a go. It really makes battles a lot more tense and exciting. Another part of the game I would love to talk about is the soundtrack. But for fear of spoilers, i'll refrain. Just know that there are parts in this game where the music alone will put a big smile on your face.
And finally, arguably the most important part of any Bioshock game is the stoy. Well in case anyone was worrying that Infinite couldn't live up to the original's amazing narrative, don't be. In my opinion, Infinite's tale surpasses it's predecessor in nearly every way. I'm obviously not going to go into detail about it but I will say that their are parts in the game where you actually feel like your playing something very, very important. Booker's and Elizabeth's relationship is very well done. The two of them go through so much together and you really begin to see their relationship grow into something more meaningful through the course of the game. When the ending finally came, it blew me away. Yes, just like something like Silent Hill 2, you can expect people to be arguing over the game's story for decades to come. Without spoiling anything, the ending really does require you to just accept things the way they are. Your not going to get all the answers you want. But if you just take it for what it is and take the time to work out what it all means, it's probably the best ending that's ever been in gaming.
Overall, I absolutely adore this game. I know it's to early to be even uttering the words 'Game Of The Year' but unless the other big names for the year like The Last Of Us or Grand Theft Auto 5 turn out to be something very, very special, I believe it's almost a certainty that Bioshock Infinite will be this year's best game. I know it's been said time and again but you really should buy this game. Miss it and your missing one of the most important games of our time.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2013 1:08 PM BST

My Mad Fat Diary - Series 1 [DVD]
My Mad Fat Diary - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sharon Rooney
Price: 8.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong contender for greatest teen drama ever made, 19 Feb 2013
Okay so I'm a 24 year old man, so a show like this should never have appealed to me, but trust me when I say it's one of the best things on television at the moment. The writing is superb, the characters complex and well developed, and the show isn't afraid to deal with difficult subject matter.
I've watched a lot of brilliant tv over the years. Breaking Bad, The Wire, Misfits, The Sopranos and The Walking Dead to name but a few. But what really surprised me about this show is how well it stands up to the best in the business. When I first saw the trailer for the show I thought it looked interesting but felt that it was either going to be pretty good or a complete disaster. The trailer basically painted Rae as an overweight, slightly mad teen who's only after one thing and doesn't care how she gets it.
Well trust me, that rubbish trailer does not reflect the show's overall quality. First of all, Rae is amazing. If there's ever been a more loveable female character in a drama series, ive yet to meet her. She's adorable, loveable, cool and isnt afraid to tell it like it is. Never before has a character made me feel so many emotions in an hour long show. I've laughed at her great sense of humour, felt sorry for her when everything in her life was going wrong and I'm not ashamed to admit that on a few occasions, especially during the superb final episode, that I felt a few tears welling up inside.
The acting in the show is simply top class. Sharon Rooney is perfect as Rae. I honestly cant think of anyone else that could have pulled off such a demanding role and make it look so effortless. The scenes between her and her therapist Kester are always high points. It's here that Rae opens herself up and you get to see her as she really is, warts and all. But the thing is, you don't see a crazy girl who hates everyone and everything. You see a harmless child who just wants to fit in and to be happy.
That's another reason this show deserves the highest level of praise. Not only is it hilarious, heart warming and very cool, it's probably one of the most important shows made in the last decade. Mental health has almost always been a taboo subject in most tv shows. There seems to be this idea among certain people that the depressed or mentally ill should be put away and should not be let out again until their 'normal'. But if that's the case, why do I connect more with Rae than with any other television character I can think of? Maybe we're all not so different after all? Hopefully after watching this show, people will start to realise that.
I very rarely give five stars. But in my opinion, this show truly deserves it. It's gets so much right and has a massive heart. And if you grew up in the 90's like I did, the show's soundtrack is nothing short of perfection. At the time of writing this review, the first series came to a close a few hours ago, and yet I find myself already missing it. Series two can't come soon enough. Now if only E4 would hire someone suitable to produce the show's next trailer...

Hitman: HD Trilogy (PS3)
Hitman: HD Trilogy (PS3)
Offered by Bargain Games UK
Price: 14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to get into, but keep at it and Hitman's genius will begin to reveal itself., 2 Feb 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Okay, first a confession. When my brother first introduced me to Hitman: Blood Money on his Xbox 360 over five years ago, I didn't get it. I played a few levels, and in each one I would blow everyone away, not hide any bodies or put any thought into how I could creatively dispose of my targets. Needless to say, I hated the game and gave up after a few levels. Soon afterwards, my brother asked me to play it again, but this time he told me to avoid killing anyone unless absolutely necessary and to try and make any deaths look accidental.
I reluctantly decided to give the game another go and within a few hours, I was having an absolute blast. Stealthily making your way through the level, finding your target, taking him or her out in whatever way you see fit and then leaving before anyone even knows you've been there is absolutely thrilling and when a hit goes absolutely perfectly, the feeling of accomplishment is immense. The main thing that makes the Hitman series so enjoyable, is the freedom your given in each game. You can take out your targets in several different ways. You can snipe your target from a buiding, or you can sneak into his house and place a bomb in his chair. You can hide on top of an elevator and strangle your target when he enters, or you can place a bomb in the elevator and watch the fun unfold. Do you poison a wedding cake, or do you place a bomb in it? (I like blowing things up okay?)
All three games in the collection are fun but I STRONGLY recommend starting with Hitman 2 and working your way up to Blood Money. Hitman Blood Money fixed a lot of problems that were present in earlier titles. I found it incredibly difficult to get into Hitman 2 the first time I played it. (I played it on my Ps2 shortly after completing Blood Money on 360.) It is an incredibly difficult game. People easily see through your disguises, the controls are very fiddly and guards will frequently open fire on you for doing such heinous acts as running or opening certain doors. But once you get into it, it's still a very enjoyable game and has some fantastic levels. I should also say that I found the first level one of the most difficult in the entire game, so if your thinking of giving up because you find the game too hard, it does get a bit easier later.
Hitman: Contracts is a very good game as well and is arguably a better game than 2. It's definitely an easier game to complete anyway. Certain levels in this game are some of my favourite levels in the entire series, such as a mission set around a mansion late at night. The only problem I really had with contracts was that I found it to be very short and it ended quite abruptly. But since your essentially getting three games in one here, it's not a big of a problem this time around.
Finally we have Hitman Blood Money which is a lot of people's favourite of the series and it's not hard to see why. Nearly every mission in the game is an absolute gem. Many aspects of the previous games were also improved. Disguises work a lot better here and unless your acting very foolishly, you can walk around in any disguise relatively care free. Overall this collection is great value and a lot of fun. I can't say for sure whether everyone will enjoy it though. Unfortunately, it seems Absolution was many people's first Hitman game, which is a bit of a shame. Such people will probably find it very difficult to go back and play such old titles now. While I do believe Absolution is a great little game, it didn't offer close to the amount of freedom you were given in the previous games. That's why I encourage everyone to give this collection a go. Whether your a long time fan or just recently discovered the series, there's something for everyone here. Some may just have to look harder than others to find it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2013 3:04 PM GMT

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: Limited Edition (PS3)
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed: Limited Edition (PS3)
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars In my humble opinion, one of the greatest kart racers ever made., 30 Nov 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I very rarely rate anything 5 stars. Not because I find the game poor, but because the 5 star rating should only be awarded to games that truly excel in their class. I believe SASRT to be one such game. Now I know how much people love Mario Kart, and I know there are people out there who would scoff at the very notion of another game being able to hold it's own against Nintendo's karting champion, but believe me when I say that this game is great fun. Some people might not enjoy it as much as other kart racers and that's fine, everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I do believe that even the most hardcore Mario fan will find it hard not to crack a smile every now and again while playing this game.
Everything just works and works great in this game. Some of the track design is downright outstanding, with the shinobi and jet set radio tracks being personal favourites. The music is will fill you with nostalgia and has been remixed to perfection. The Golden Axe piece in particular is amazing. You have to hear it. Split screen is something that is becoming more and more rare in games these days. Not so here. In fact, you can play offline multiplayer in pratically every mode of this game, even the campaign (world tour) mode. The character roster is excellent with many memorable faces showing up. From Sonic to Nights, AiAi to Shinobi, this game truly pays homage to Sega's rich history.
The games biggest new feature however, is being able to change from a kart to a jet or boat, and vice versa. I was a bit worried about this feature when I first heard about it to be honest. Many developers have problems just getting the kart part of their racer right, and that's without having to add plane and boat sections to the mix. I shouldn't have worried though, as Sumo have done a great job making the other styles of play just as fun as the karting. I love the jet sections. They require a lot of skill at times and there's few things as enjoyable as blasting an opponent out of the sky with a well placed rocket. The boat sections are also enjoyable, but less so. The steering can feel very heavy at times and hitting obstacles is a lot easier. But when everything goes right, and you hit every booster and successfully drift around every turn, these sections can be just as enjoyable as the rest of the game.
I highly recommend buying or at least renting this game. It's a great little game and I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. I'm sure if you give it a try, you'll also get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nuketown 2025 Edition (PS3)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Nuketown 2025 Edition (PS3)
Offered by Gameline GmbH.
Price: 24.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A little effort goes a long way., 14 Nov 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Ok first a confession. I hated Modern Warfare 3. But I also wasn't very fond of any of the post modern warfare 1 games either. They all felt very similar and most didn't add very much, if anything to the franchise. However, this didn't bother me too much. What really bothered me was the overwhelming critical acclaim that each title received, ensuring huge sales and very little need for innovation in later titles.
I have no problem with people who enjoy the series though, as truthfully, every entry has been at least decent and a good way of whiling away a few hours. I do believe it's important for developers to strive to push the industry forward however, or else we'll end up playing the same games over and over. Innovation is what makes the game industry great. From titles like Okami to recent games like Heavy Rain and Catherine, when developers take big risks, sometimes the results can be truly amazing. But recently there seems to be far too many shooters releasing every year and not much else. And even developers like Square-Enix and Capcom have admitted to trying to appeal to FPS gamers with their titles. (Looking at you FF XIII and Resi 6.)
So with that said, you must wonder why I don't despise this game. It's simple: Treyarch have tried their best to change things up. And sometimes just seeing a developer putting effort into their games is enough to earn a gamers respect, even if all their ideas don't work out perfectly.
So what makes Black Ops 2 different from the rest of the games in the series and my second favourite Call Of Duty after COD4? Well firstly the campaign is very enjoyable and actually warrants several playthroughs because of the series first branching storyline. At certain points in the game, you will have to make decisions which will effect the overall storyline. They include deciding on whether to injure or kill a character or even...actually, I won't spoil it but I will say some of the choices you make are huge and will make you consider playing through the campaign again to see how things could have gone if you chose differently. Another new feature are the strike force missions. These missions play out like a real time strategy game. You get a squad of soldiers, robots and drones which you must then command to complete whatever objectives you have been given. At any time you can take control of any member of your squad and command your troops from the ground or simply press a button to resume commanding from the skies. To be honest, while the mode is enjoyable, it can be very fiddly at times and there simply aren't enough missions included. But that's not the point. It's a great addition and with a few tweaks here and there, it could become truly exceptional. Especially if they eventually give it it's own multiplayer.
I completed the campaign on the hardened difficulty in about 8 hours which is the longest it's ever taken me to complete a cod campaign which is another good point. I enjoyed it a lot and will probably return to it soon for another playthrough.
Next up is the Zombies mode. I love Zombies. It's pretty much the only portion of WAW and Black Ops 1 I really enjoyed and it's even better here. There's several new modes and even a campaign mode. But if your not into those modes you can always just play classic survival mode, where you try to hold off the undead as long as possible. So far I've played a fair amount of the grief and transit modes and for the most part I've enjoyed what I've played. The new modes add even more ways to enjoy zombies and thats no bad thing. If I did have a complaint however, it would be with the campaign (Transit) mode. While it's very enjoyable to be able to more openly explore your surroundings it can get very confusing at times. For one, you can pick up random pieces of garbage or tools throughout the map but it's not readily apparent how you use them or what their for. Also a lot of the maps are covered in lava which cannot be crossed except when in the bus which brings you from area to area. The problem is, the bus will frequently take off even when your not on it, so you can get left behind with no way to get back to your team until you die and respawn later. The mode confused me so much I looked in the manual for info but I found nothing of use. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure when I have figured everything out, I'll love this mode but if your new to this mode, I'd recommend looking up advice online first. Overall though, this is the best zombie offering yet by a call of duty game.
Finally we have the multiplayer. This is the main reason 99.99999% of people but COD every year. Unfortunately, this mode is very similar to previous entries but it's still very enjoyable and you will still probably lose many hours of sleep playing it. The futuristic weaponry and gadgets are a nice addition and the maps are almost universally better than those found in MW3. I must complain however, about the lack of dedicated servers. It's a joke at this stage Activision. Your rolling around in money at this stage, yet you won't invest in something that would pretty much eliminate lag and hit detection problems in your games. Yes, even after all these years, you will still play matches that lag like crazy, you'll shoot opponents a hundred times only for none of the bullets to register and this applies even to people who have great Internet speeds.
Overall however, I think this Call Of Duty is worthy of your money and I never thought I'd be saying that again. It has enough content to keep you occupied for months and has enough new additions to feel like a properly new COD which is a lot more than most people were expecting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2012 1:42 PM GMT

Silent Hill: Revelation [DVD]
Silent Hill: Revelation [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly Oscar worthy, but enjoyable all the same., 5 Nov 2012
When the original Silent Hill movie was released, I was more than a little bit skeptical. I mean, how could you possibly capture the relentlessy terrifying atmosphere of the games and transfer it successfully over to film? Fair enough, the film wasn't nearly as scary or as engrossing as the games were, but for a movie based on a videogame, it was surprisingly good, great even.
The success of the original silent hill movie made me hopeful that the sequel would be just as good, if not better than the first film. And while Silent Hill Revelation never quite scales the heights reached by the original film, it's an enjoyable tale with some very impressive and spooky moments sprinkled throughout.
First thing I have to commend are some of the casting choices. The gorgeous Adelaide Clemens is perfectly cast as Heather and I can't think of anyone more fitting to play the silent hill 3 heroine. Sean Bean was criticised in the original movie for his poor american accent. However he performs much more admirably in Revelation and his British accent is almost impossible to detect. One cast member who didn't impress me however, was Kit Harington, better known as Jon Snow in HBO's stunning drama series, Game Of Thrones. While Kit is excellent in GOT, he basically sleepwalks through this movie, with poor line delivery and some scenes where he just seems to be sleepwalking through his lines. But overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the acting quality in the film.
A lot of the plot will be familiar to anyone who has played silent hill 3 but there are enough differences to keep the story interesting to even those who have completed the game multiple times. Without spoiling anything, Heather Mason and her father Harry(not their real names.) are on the run from a strange cult who want Heather to return to silent hill for unknown reasons. For the most part I enjoyed the story in Silent Hill Revelation. The pacing is a bit all over the place at times and the ending was dissapointing in my opinion, but overall the films plot had enough to keep me interested to the end. Whereas the original is often criticised for being too long, this film suffers from the exact opposite problem. At just over 90 minutes, SHR just doesn't have enough time to effectively develop it characters and story. In my opinion, another half hour of run time would have made a world of difference.
An important aspect of the games are the terrifying environments and creatures you meet while playing. SHR pretty much nails these very important points. The environments are beautiful and disgusting at the same time and the creatures are just as freaky and abnormal as you'd expect..
I've been thinking long and hard about what rating I should award this film. I was considering awarding it four stars for a time, but four stars generally signifies an excellent film which Silent Hill Revelation certainly isn't. However, I also don't think it's deserved the critical mauling it has received. I enjoyed it and I certainly wouldn't mind viewing it a second or even third time. If that doesn't deserve at least three stars, I don't know what does.

Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
Resident Evil 6 (PS3)
Price: 7.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Not nearly as good as it should have been, but not as bad as many say it is either., 3 Oct 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 (PS3) (Video Game)
Ok so I have had this game nearly two days now and so far I have completed Leon's campaign, played roughly three hours of chris's campaign and played two hours worth of Jake's campaign. My thoughts so far? That this game is more dissapointing than it is actually bad.
Let's talk about what the game gets right first.
Well to start, this game is fantastic value for money, with 3 campaigns that last around 6 hours each, a fourth campaign that is unlocked upon completion of the other 3, The Mercenaries mode is back, Agent Hunt mode is a very interesting idea that allows other players online to play as the zombies and other creatures you bump into while playing the campaigns. So if you like your games to last you a long time, then Resident Evil 6 has you covered.
Another thing the game gets spot on is Leon's campaign. It's great. A lot of people have complained that the series has abandoned it's survival horror roots and that this entry is no exception. Well I don't know about those people, but I found myself constantly struggling to find ammo and health.(I played on Veteran difficulty by the way. There may be more supplies on the lower difficulties.) There are far too many enemies for you to kill them all which means frequently running away, trying to find the next safe haven where you can catch your breath. To me, this is what Resident Evil and Survival Horror is all about. Trying to survive impossible odds with anything you can find. If it wasn't for the unfortunate lack of actual puzzles and being able to properly explore your surroundings, I would call Leon's campaign a true return to form for the series.
A lot of people have complained that the new melee system is way too overpowered. Well trust me when I say it isn't. Ok so maybe during the first hour or so of gameplay it can feel very powerful, but as you progress through the story, you'll bump into several creatures who will just shrug off any melee attacks you throw at them. The trick to mastering this game is knowing when to melee and when to shoot. It's a good system and feels like a mini puzzle in itself. Some people have complained about the melee system, saying that it turns the series even more towards action. They may have a point, but let me ask you a question, if a zombie was coming towards you in real life, would you not do everything you could to keep them back, or would you just stand there and wait until it bit your face off like you would have to do in the older titles? I know what I would do.
Another common complaint is that this game is not scary in the slightest. I would probably agree with that point but I will say that the games atmosphere and sound design is top notch at times. Apart from maybe jumping 2 or 3 times during Leon's campaign, I didn't find it all that scary at all. But then again, apart from Resident Evil 3: Nemesis and some parts in Resident Evil 2 I never really found the games all that scary anyway. I will say that if you find the older Resi games terrifying, stay the hell away from the Silent Hill and Project Zero games.
I know that some people don't like the idea of constantly having a partner with them while playing single player. I'm not too fond of this either but Capcom have at least given us some options to soften the blow. There is a lone wolf skill for example, which will apparently stop your partner from helping you in any way. Yes your partner will still be by your side but what can you do? Also the fourth unlockable campaign is single player only.
So do I have any complaints? Plenty actually. From what ive played of chris and Jake's campaigns, they just aren't all that enjoyable. The first hour or so of chris's campaign consists mainly of running down linear corridors and shooting any enemies you bump into along the way. It's game design that would have felt ancient a decade ago. From there the game opens up a bit for the next chapter, which has you taking out tanks, sniping machine gunners and taking out anti aircraft guns. Yes, you read that right. You have to take out anti aircraft guns. I can honestly say I never thought I would have to complete such ridiculous tasks in a Resident Evil game. It would be like having to cook dinner for your family in a Gran turismo game. But thankfully chris's campaign is all out action which means there should be plenty of ammo lying around for you to take down enemies right? Oh wait....
Yes, another huge complaint I have with chris's campaign is the lack of ammunition in it. It's ok in Leon's campaign as that is the horror portion of the game but to not have enough ammo in the action portion of the game is completely ridiculous. I'm not going to go into details with the rest of my complaints as this review has already gone on too long so I'll quickly go through them.
The cover system is very clunky and requires you to press two buttons to use it. If you have to use the cover system, I recommend sliding into cover as it works a lot better that way. The boss battles aren't all that engaging either to be honest. Many of them just require you to shoot at very obvious weak points. Some even require you to shoot red barrels that explode as the boss walks past them. What year is this? 1998?
Ok so Resident Evil 6 is disappointing, there's no two ways about it. It promised to be one of the best Resi games ever. It seemed like a true game of the year contender. What we have been left with is an enjoyable game with a lot of flaws. The English magazine Games said that you should buy this game for Leon's campaign and to just see everything else as a huge amount of bonus content. I totally feel the same way. Leon's campaign is very enjoyable and while Chris and Jake's campaigns might not be as enjoyable as other third person shooters like the Gears of War or Uncharted games, their at least better than other mediocre third person shooters like the Kane and Lynch series. In the end I can't accurately predict how you will feel about this game. You might hate it, you might love it, hell it might even be your favourite of the series.(If your part of the last group, their are plenty of institutions where you can get the help you so need and deserve.)
I will sum up by saying you should probably see Resident Evil 6 as a long term investment. There is just so much content in here, you could easily invest hundreds of hours into the thing. It always seems to want to show you a new mode, campaign, location or unlockable and in this age of 4 hour campaigns and repetitive multiplayer, that counts for a lot.

The Survival Horror Specialist 03/10/2012

Update: So it seems someone must have taken offence to my review cause someone thumbed down nearly every one of my horror reviews after reading this. Maybe it's the fact I call myself the survival horror specialist. Just so people understand, I don't call myself that to make myself seem important. My opinion is no more important than anyone else's. I use that name so people will know they can contact me if they need any information about the survival horror genre. I've completed the original resident evil at least a dozen times, I cleared silent hill 3 4 times within a month when I first got it. I've played pretty much every survival horror game ever made, from Resi to project zero, Penumbra to Amnesia, so I obviously know what I'm talking about. But like I said, that doesn't make my review scores any more right than anyone else's, it's just my opinion. With that said, I have completed the game and I stick by what I said earlier. Leon's campaign is very enjoyable. Chris and Jake have their moments but for the most part, their campaigns are meh. Ada's campaign is very enjoyable however, and it's worth playing through the other campaigns to unlock it.
Like I said previously, I can't accurately say how you'll feel about this game but it's definitely worth a rental to find out.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2013 12:54 PM GMT

Resident Evil 2 (PS)
Resident Evil 2 (PS)

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably the greatest Resident Evil game ever., 25 Sep 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 2 (PS) (Video Game)
So far in my countdown to Resident Evil 6, I have reviewed Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil Zero. Next up is what many people consider the high point of the series, Resident Evil 2.
After the incredible success of the original Resident Evil on the ps1, it was inevitable that a sequel would soon follow, and in 1998 Resident Evil 2 was released on the ps1 and n64 to critical acclaim and great sales. Nearly fifteen years later, I'm happy to say Resident Evil 2 is still just as creepy and engrossing as it was when it released all those years ago.
What makes this entry so amazing is the way it does everything bigger and better than the original while still remaining true to it's survival horror roots. More enemies, more weapons, more scares and more puzzles. This game is massive and there is a ton of content. For instance, when you finish the game with Leon,(which will take around 5-7 hours on your first playthrough.) you will have to take a different route through the game with Claire, solving different puzzles and meeting (or running away from) new enemies and characters. But that's still just half of the whole picture. Each character has two scenarios, which makes four different ways to play through the game and which will take you about 20 hours to play through them all. It's epic.
The acting isn't as cheesy as it was in the original which is slighty disappointing, but there are still some moments that you will struggle not to at least snigger at. My personal favourite is a scene where Leon is talking to a dying black cop. I won't spoil the hilarious dialogue between the two, but I will say that the guy who voices the dying cop is quite obviously white, so that just shows the resources Capcom were willing to waste on the voice acting. :)
I have to say that while I thought the original had a creepier atmosphere, Resident Evil 2 made me nearly jump out of my skin more times than I can remember. The first time those zombie hands burst through those boarded up windows, I let out a scream so loud, my family had to rush in to make sure I was ok. On a different playthrough, I got to the same point and was prepared for their damn undead hands, but instead of just putting their hands through the window, they burst into the room itself. Suffice to say any problem I may have had going to the toilet were instantly cured. That's a good example of how Resident Evil 2 keeps you on your toes, even when you think you know what's around the next corner.
I don't know if Resident Evil 2 is my favourite in the series, as I pretty much love them all, but I will say that it's close. If I was pushed, I would probably say that Resident Evil REmake is my favourite, but I'm always changing my mind so who knows? What's certain though, is that Resident Evil 2 is still an amazing experience and one that I frequently replay, if only to remind myself of a time when games were challenging and actually required you to think for yourself.

Resident Evil Zero  (GameCube) (French Import )
Resident Evil Zero (GameCube) (French Import )
Offered by sicodaddy
Price: 69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the most frustrating Resi games, but also one of the most rewarding., 24 Sep 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The next Resident Evil game i'm going to review is the Gamecube's Resident Evil Zero. This must be one of the strangest entries in the series. Not only is it a prequel to the original Resident Evil, it also has you taking control of not one, but two characters, both of whom are essential to getting through the game alive.
Another big change is the absence of item boxes but to compensate, you are given the option to drop items wherever you wish. All in all, it's a very different Resident Evil, but no less enjoyable. It is however, a lot more difficult than most other games in the series in my opinion. Ammo is incredibly scarce and herbs are in short supply. Trust me when I say this is a true survival horror experience.
There are also several new creatures out to tear you limb from limb in Resident Evil Zero. As well as the usual zombies and hunters, you will also have to face strange leech creatures, mutated apes and giant insects. These new creatures are great and fit into the Resi storyline very well. The graphics in the game are also top notch with highly detailed pre rendered backgrounds and realistic character models.
Why overall this is a brilliant game and worthy entry to the franchise, there are a few minor issues which may frustrate some players. Firstly, the game contains a serious amount of backtracking. Far more than any other entry in the series. This is due mostly to the absence of storage crates but also because certain items take two inventory slots to carry. Just trust me when I say that the grappling hook is the most annoying item in Resi history. Another slighty annoying problem is when you and your partner get separated. This wouldn't be such be such a big deal, but sometimes you get separated without warning, and you realise you have just left your other character with all the herbs and ammo.
Apart from that though, it really is a great game with plenty of scares and an interesting plot. It's also one of the longest Resi's, with an average playthrough taking around ten hours. It's great value for money and is a must for Resi fans or people who just like survival horror in general.

The Survival Horror Specialist 24/09/2012