Profile for Mr. A. P. W. Dean > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. P. W. Dean

Mr. A. P. W. Dean "Book Beaver" (UK)

Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
Inside The Centre: The Life of J. Robert Oppenheimer
by Ray Monk

5.0 out of 5 stars A scholarly exposition of a complex character, 29 May 2013
I have had a lingering interest in the nuclear arms development of the mid twentieth century, watching documentaries and reading articles that I have come across in any way related to the subject. I therefore came to this biography with a limited and populist scope of knowledge. After reading what was such an informative, thorough and scholarly exposition of the life of a man about so much has already been written, I have inherited Ray Monk's evident passion and feel subsequently determined to pursue my burgeoning interest in physics even further. This is testament to the author's masterly ability to not only drive to the heart of his subject, but also to make his subject's interests so engaging and relevant that they become your own.

The Duchess [DVD] [2008]
The Duchess [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley
Offered by DVD Overstocks

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 6 July 2009
This review is from: The Duchess [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I watched this film after it was a box office success and had heard good things about it.. but I was so disappointed that I wasted part of my life!
Please don't bother with this film!

Into the Wild
Into the Wild
by Jon Krakauer

4.0 out of 5 stars Into the Wild.... superbly intense, 7 Dec 2008
This review is from: Into the Wild (Paperback)
I can across this book by chance. I wanted to read a book that involved travel and adventure. I wanted a book that wasn't full of extreme storylines but a simple book.

In To The Wild is a wonderful book. It's so emotional. You can't help but become emotional attached to Chris. He reminded me of myself or others I know. Some say what a fool he was to waste his young life unnecessarily, but to die achieving your dream is a life worth living. Many of us have dreams that over time never evolve into reality. I have pure admiration for what Chris achieved and for all he believed in. To live a life more intensely and naturally is a life we should aim for.

Jon Krakauer is an excellent author who slowly lets the adventure unfold, although the two chapters which tells his own story I found misplaced and unneeded.

I would recommend this book to anybody. It makes you reflect upon your own ethics and way of life. If Chris' death could help anybody fulfil their dreams it's a life that was not wasted.