Profile for A. O. J. Evans > Reviews

Content by A. O. J. Evans

A. O. J. Evans "Aojevans" (UK)

Jamie Oliver Pasta Machine (RED)
Jamie Oliver Pasta Machine (RED)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but...., 27 Mar. 2013
...I was given this item and, like the other reviewers, found that the pasta kept jamming in the roller guards.

Given that we had nothing to lose, we took the machine apart, removed the guards, put it back together and now it works brilliantly. All we have to do is hold on to the pasta underneath as it starts to go through the rollers.

Crock-Pot 0.6L Rice Cooker Grey
Crock-Pot 0.6L Rice Cooker Grey

4.0 out of 5 stars Works pretty well!, 27 Dec. 2012
It was with some trepidation that we set forth with the Crock-Pot for the first time this evening. My partner, for whom this was a Christmas present, has been on a mission for a long time to cook the perfect rice so this was baptism by fire for the Crock-Pot.

The first point I would note is that the instructions aren't that clear. Fortunately it's obvious what needs to go where but there is no mention of how much rice to allow for one person nor how long it will take to cook. So we decided to test this to the max and went for the three cups of rice/six cups of water.

Using the maximum amount filled the Pot to the brim and this was a little concerning but we decided to roll with it. I can now report that calculation is just a smidge off. Right at the end of the cooking process there was rice and boiling water spitting out from under the bouncing lid - and it was very hot. I would suggest if you are using 3 cups of rice then 2.5/2.75 cups of water would probably be sufficient and that should be OK, but be careful!

However, it has to be said that the rice was cooked superbly and we were suitably impressed.

As to how much to allow per person, one cup holds five ounces of rice which is 140g. Most rice packets say to use 75g per person so I would advise that 1 cup is sufficient for two people with a regular appetite, 1.5 cups for a more healthy appetite.

Length of time to cook was roughly 30 minutes.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase for it's rice-cooking ability and very happy with it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2013 12:28 PM GMT

Empress: Godspeaker: Book One
Empress: Godspeaker: Book One
by Karen Miller

4.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be shocked, 3 Sept. 2008
If you thought that Empress would be written in the same style as Miller's previous Kingmaker/Kingbreaker series, think again. Whilst having their darker moments, those two books read like candy floss compared to Empress.

Empress is hard, cruel and bloodthirsty. Mijak is a world ruled by fear of a God, interestingly referred to as "it", rather than he or she. In this world however the God does not appear to just exist in the minds of the populace but uses its Godspeakers to strike down those who do wrong.

Coming to this book as an atheist, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not based on the reviews I read. Having finished it, I still can't say I "enjoyed" it, that's just not the right word. But it was a riveting read and often had me turning the pages way into the small hours. There is little or no respite from the cruelty in its pages and you almost have to distance yourself, or perhaps become immune, to the gory details.

Most readers will say they like to warm to the main character, and usually I would agree, but it's not a requirement of this book. The story is compelling enough.

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

5.0 out of 5 stars The Time Traveller's Wife, 5 Oct. 2005
If you only read one book in your lifetime - let this be the one.
Don't be put off that it is a "love story". It is, but this book hits you on so many emotional levels that to describe it just as a "love story" doesn't do it justice. You do need to keep your wits about you and remember who is where and when, but that just adds to it and doesn't detract at all.