Profile for Jane E. Nicholson > Reviews

Content by Jane E. Nicholson

Jane E. Nicholson "Jane" (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Tanner (Prentor Book 2)
Tanner (Prentor Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure whether it's intended for young adults, 2 May 2013
A continuation of the Prentor series of witchcraft novels.

The love triangle between Mark, Sasha and Tanner is well done, and the overall narrative is a decent one that flows reasonably well.

The simplicity of the language and story seems to imply that this is a young adult novel, but the depiction of the relationships between the couples argues that that wasn't the intention.

Lisandra was a slightly disappointing character, in that we saw things from her point of view but never got a sense of closure about who she had determined to be. Kalin also struck me as unnecessarily dim, although he did start to pick up near the end and I did like the conclusion with Regina.

*I was given a free copy of this book to review

Chloe and the Half-World (Slumberland Station, Book 1)
Chloe and the Half-World (Slumberland Station, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast-paced and interesting, 2 May 2013
Chloe and her friend Alice are a pair of young tearaways who are given a lot of license, because they excel at school and have important parents. Together, they discover something very strange about the world they live in - and it's to do with the ghosts who are trying to get to Manhattan - a place that no longer exists.

I loved the two main characters. They are real, and make frustrating mistakes and have problems they can't overcome. And their shared friendship is well-balanced and believable. The plot is clever and well-paced, with enough clues for the reader to figure out what is going on as the characters make the same discoveries.

The cliffhanger ending has made me eager to read the next in the series!

*I was given a free copy of this book to review.

Khantara: Volume 1
Khantara: Volume 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle romance, 2 May 2013
This is a portrait of 2 cultures coliding and a sweet rescue romance story.

I found the language in this book very beautiful and relaxing; it reminded me stylistically of Kipling. It is not action-packed, but the descriptive language is very dense.

Recommended if you're in the mood for something relaxing and calming.

*I was given a free copy to review.

Tethered Twins
Tethered Twins

3.0 out of 5 stars A great idea, inexpertly told, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Tethered Twins (Kindle Edition)
A post-apocalyptic tale of a ruined and unliveable London, where secret organisations conspire to take over the world.

I struggled a little at the beginning of this book, but I'm glad I persisted. I didn't care much about the main character, Emmie, but some of the others had interesting stories to tell.

The author relies a little too much on mysterious gadgets to get the characters out of plotholes, but I think the series is going somewhere interesting.

Worth a look.

*I was given a free copy of this novel to review.

Proper Job
Proper Job

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and funny but hard work, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Proper Job (Kindle Edition)
This is a memoir-style series of events that take place during a summer while Andy is waiting to hear whether he got into university. To help friends, he takes a job working for an ice cream mogul.

Because the writing is very clever, it is also quite densely packed and consequently I didn't find this to be a relaxing read. It was also a but disjointed and felt like a series of funny events rather than a single narrative flow.

Very funny, but you'd have to be in the right mood to read it.

(I was given a free copy of this novel to review.)

The Last Priestess (The Songmaker #1 A fantasy novel)
The Last Priestess (The Songmaker #1 A fantasy novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good beginning for an epic, 21 April 2013
This is a well-written and apparently carefully-plotted epic about a battle between magic and politics. As with many a great epic, the protagonist is involved against her will, and is a much more likeable character because of it.

The journey into Maegwin's past to find why she is so bitter, and into her present to see how she overcomes it, is handled skillfully and with just enough of a hint that I think we may have already met the mysterious 'Songmaker', and that everything is NOT the way it appears at the end of this first in the series.

Very enjoyable.

(I was given a free copy of this novel to review.)

Desert Hearts (The Sedona Files Book 2)
Desert Hearts (The Sedona Files Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as her Fantasy romance, 21 April 2013
A sequel of sorts to Bad Vibrations (The Sedona Trilogy), which picks up the storyline of Kara. Here, the alien storyline is only peripheral to the events of the book, which is simply about Kara's choices and character growth.

I didn't find Kara to be a very sympathetic character, and in the end I didn't really mind which of the two loves her heart chose. I thought the mysterious stranger with the lost memory was much the more interesting of the characters in the story, and wished it had been more about him and less about Kara and the group.

(I was given a free copy of this to review.)

Bad Vibrations (The Sedona Files Book 1)
Bad Vibrations (The Sedona Files Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and light romance, 21 April 2013
Persephone O'Brien is a psychic who works mostly with behind-the-scenes Hollywood types, so when a client tells her that his girlfriend has been taken over by aliens, she knows not to take it seriously. But maybe that will turn out to be a mistake...

Persephone is thrown in with a knowledgeable (and handsome) professor who specialises in aliens. Together they need to understand the conspiracy that's underway.

I struggled to reconcile Persephone's actions with the character as I understood her to be - I was picturing someone older and wiser, and more self-confident, than her actions expressed. I did enjoy the dynamic between the two protagonists, which seemed to match more closely the person of Persephone as I understood it.

Recommended, if you like romances and are looking for something a little different.

(I was given a free copy of this work to review.)

High Witch (High Witch Book 1)
High Witch (High Witch Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Suited for young adult readers, 21 April 2013
This is a fairly straightforward tale of good vs evil. The characters were (unlike some of Mona Hanna's other work) not nuanced - the villain is the villain, and the victims are helpless against him.

The writing is very easy to read, although not always perfectly grammatically correct.

I preferred Tanner (Prentor Book 2) for its more interesting characters.

(I was given a free copy of this book to review.)

Under His Skin
Under His Skin

4.0 out of 5 stars Turning an old story on its head, 7 April 2013
This review is from: Under His Skin (Kindle Edition)
What happens when you steal a shape-changer's skin?

Ana is searching for a way to return to her fox shape after her lover tried to bind her to himself by destroying it. The injury has nearly driven her insane, and she'll do anything - including steal the skins of other shapechangers - to get her *self* back. But stealing Brec's skin has changed the game.

Brec can't understand how anyone could do something so terrible as steal the animal lives of shape changers, but he's going to convince Ana that she has to stop.

This is the story of the fallout when trying to cage your love fails and happily ever after isn't just around the corner.

I really enjoyed the turning of the traditional selkie story on its head. I also loved the complex character of Ana, who is continually wounded by Brec and just keeps trying to get through. Brec was a little more damaged than I thought he had any right to be, although it's fair to assume that the recent theft of his skin could have made him more vulnerable.

The resolution felt right, and the general pace of the novel was good.

*I was given a free copy of this book to review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6