Profile for M. Wake > Reviews

Content by M. Wake

M. Wake "Fried Gold" (Essex, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Alpine MusicSafe Pro Filter Ear Plugs
Alpine MusicSafe Pro Filter Ear Plugs

4.0 out of 5 stars Great earphones, naff case, 5 Mar 2014
I bought these for my wife to use when she comes to my gigs as she recently developed tinnitus, and we can get loud. Her report is that they do a really great job of taking the edge off the volume without ruining the clarity. The ear pieces don't stick out too far from the ear either so they're quite subtle in use. The main downside for me is the key-ring case they come with, while very useful to have them to hand at all times, has a very loose fitting lid and a couple of times I've got my car keys out only send the ear-pieces flying across the road. If you're not going to be carrying them around with you everywhere then it won't be an issue.

Yoostar 2 - Kinect compatible (Xbox 360)
Yoostar 2 - Kinect compatible (Xbox 360)
Offered by infinative prosperity dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasted oppotunity, 5 Mar 2014
This may have been due to failings in the initial X-Box Kinect but this never really gave the results it was promising on the box. There's a few memorable scenes here, but don't expect your kids to know too many (The Wizard of Oz was on a near permanent loop as it was about the only one mine knew).

Groov-e GV590PW Kids DJ Style Headphone - Pink
Groov-e GV590PW Kids DJ Style Headphone - Pink
Offered by DiscountDiscs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement headphones for kids MP3s, 5 Mar 2014
I ordered three pairs of these for my kids to replace the in-ear style headphones that came with their MP3 players, and they absolutely love them, they've kept them quiet on many a long road trip. They've never complained of them being uncomfortable with prolonged use and so far they've held up well to some rigorous use. I would definitely buy replacements if the need arose.

Roommates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers - Scroll Tree
Roommates Repositionable Childrens Wall Stickers - Scroll Tree

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but check your wall surface first., 5 Mar 2014
This looked like it would have been wonderful for my little girls room. They've got a textured wallpaper and I mistakenly thought that wouldn't be much of an issue, however these refused to stay stuck. I think this is partly because they're delivered in a postal tube, so perhaps a long period of making sure they're flattened before applying may have helped, but in the end I had to purchase a can of spray adhesive. Even so, after a few weeks a few of the larger pieces still peel off. It's a shame, perhaps I expected too much, but if you have very smooth walls they do look really nice once in position.

EasyAcc UK 40Pin 15V 1.2A AC Adapter ASUS Wall Charger for ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101, Prime TF201, SL101, Pad 300 TF300 TF700T-with EMI CORES
Offered by EasyAcc.U Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for saving me from buying a new tablet!, 5 Mar 2014
My ASUS TF101 recently stopped charging and I use it regularly so started looking for a replacement. Not having £250 burning a hole in my pocket I turned to thinking perhaps the charger was at fault. After a quick search this seemed to be my best bet and it did not disappoint. So, my TF101 is back in business, as am I. Thanks.

Anker® 1900mAh Li-ion Battery For Samsung Galaxy S2 II GT-I9100, Galaxy S2 II I9100, Galaxy S2 II 9100G, EB-F1A2GBU
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Givenmy phone a new lease of life, 24 Nov 2013
My original Samsung Galaxy S2 battery had developed a need to be fully charged every 18 hours, and on inspecting it there was a noticeable bulge in the sides. Doing a quick search revealed this item and other favourable reviews lead me to order it. Delivery was excellent and the battery now maintains the life of the phone throughout the day, even with relatively heavy usage.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all working, 9 Mar 2011
When these arrived I found that only one of them could actually be filled with gas. That one works very well, but I'd be wary of purchasing these again.

Boggle Reinvention
Boggle Reinvention
Offered by Appods

4.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic Boggle-loo, 9 Mar 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Boggle Reinvention (Toy)
Having been a big fan of the original Boggle, with it's very loud inter-round shake rattle and roll of the dice, and having young children the idea of a self contained version of this appealed to me greatly.

The product largely delivers. The digital timer works as it should meaning there's no egg timer to lose, the dice can't be removed so they won't get lost either. The only issue I have is with the build quality. The design of the container is such that it is possible for dice to stack on top of each other and cause issues when closing the pot. I've had to strip it down to rectify this once already (since christmas 2010), which while feasible is not ideal for those without a tinkerers bent.

Other than that the game is a classic. If there were spaces for a couple of pencils to slot in the back this would be almost completely self contained.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2014 10:30 PM GMT

Tangled [DVD]
Tangled [DVD]
Dvd ~ Nathan Greno

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for all ages (and genders), 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Tangled [DVD] (DVD)
Following the accusations that Disney changed the title of this to avoid the "Princess" vibe which may have put off the male cartoon watching population I can safely assure anybody with gun-toting, alien loving little boys that they'll find more than enough action and adventure here to sate their appetites.

We took our 5 and 6 year old daughters, and our 8 year old son (on his birthday no less) to see this and it is a fantastic piece of cinema. Visually it's a real treat with the CG animation looking very organic and cartoony as opposed to some of the more sanitised styles around. Each scene looks like it could have been hand painted, with some of the sweeping forest and castle vistas looking especially pleasing to the eye.

*Spoiler warning*

The story is the usual blend of boy meets girl with magic hair, boy and girl fall in love through series of action set pieces, girl's step mother contrives to hold control over girl, girl thinks boy is using her (but isn't), girl's pet chameleon kills step mother, everyone lives happily ever after. The usual.

*Spoiler end*

The songs are unobtrusive and not particularly memorable, but the wit in the dialogue easily carries the film, and there's a genuine heart that's been missing from the last few Disney animation releases.

Overall a really enjoyable experience which my wife and I also thoroughly enjoyed.

Different Gear, Still Speeding (Deluxe Edition)
Different Gear, Still Speeding (Deluxe Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the truth, 28 Feb 2011
There is some great musicianship on display here, from the slide guitar of "Millionaire" to the keyboard work on "Beatles and Stones", but Liam's vocals continue to be a mix of nasal and over processed. The influences are fairly evident from the Instant Karma-esque intro to The Roller, to the very Who sounding opening of the aforementioned "Beatles and Stones". Ultimately though the songs are nothing special, being border-line dull in places.

Coming at this review as a long time Oasis fan I'm very much torn. The record is immaculately produced and has a vibe about it which makes it fairly distinct amongst it's peers, but it's just not as good as anything that's gone before. Even in the later years an Oasis record contained at least three outstanding tracks but this album really only has one (The Roller) which could be considered. As an album it starts promisingly but quickly runs out of steam by the fifth track, and there's not really anything to grab the imagination, and certainly nothing to bring in anybody who didn't like Oasis.

Everyone is surely now waiting for Noel's inevitable album, but fair play to Liam for getting on with things. It's just a shame that the power and emotional connection which bigger brother seemed able to channel with alarming regularity in his song writing is not quite there yet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6