Profile for Steven Forster > Reviews

The Rough Guide to Scandinavia
The Rough Guide to Scandinavia
by Rough Guides

5.0 out of 5 stars This is as good as they always are, 6 July 2014
I've used the Rough Guides for 20-odd years. I swear by them. This is as good as they always are. I wouldn't travel without one.

Ring Cyba-Lite Egg LED Headlamp Torch RT5172
Ring Cyba-Lite Egg LED Headlamp Torch RT5172
Offered by Truckapart

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 6 July 2014
Amazing light. Versatile. Intensely bright on the full beam. Half beam is still very bright. Well made.

Panasonic RP-HJE 120 E1-K black
Panasonic RP-HJE 120 E1-K black
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars Am quite amazed!, 21 May 2014
I've been considering splashing out on a really high quality, pricey set of earphones recently but always see comments about them not lasting long, even the expensive ones. I have a Samsung S3 which I use as my mp3 player and the sound quality is very mediocre so good earphones are needed to get the best out of it.

I read the reviews on these and thought they were worth a try. I can honestly say they're the best earphones I've ever had! Very high level of 'realism' in the sound reproduction. Great clarity - all the instruments come through clearly rather than being merged into a mush. Good base response. Nice rounded sound.

I've completely written off the idea of investing in an expensive pair. These are as good as I'll ever want.

Technote Music Stand With Bag - Black
Technote Music Stand With Bag - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the money, 9 Sep 2013
Love the little springs for holding your music book open. Much better than my old music stand, Great value for money.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work, 9 Sep 2013
Bought this to charge my Samsung Galaxy S3. The plug is the right type to fit my phone. I plug it in and it charges for about 3 seconds then switches off. The connection into the phone isn't stable; one tiny movement and it disconnects. That was the problem with my original Samsung lead too. Have been using my Kindle lead for weeks and that works flawlessly so there's nothing wrong with the phone. Very disappointed.

Winter in Madrid
Winter in Madrid

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I want in a good read, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: Winter in Madrid (Kindle Edition)
I read this in Madrid which added an extra dimension to it, the bulk of it being set in the streets I was walking around every day.

I learned a lot about the Civil War, the social tensions, the different political viewpoints, the machinations of the British, the attempts to keep Spain out of the war and the cost of that for the ordinary people for the next 40 years. I liked the characters, there's lots of plot, lots of excitement and intrigue, but all of it helping to unfold the complexity of the situation. Neither side had a monopoly on righteousness - there is little that's black and white and lots that's grey. I liked the way Sansom put a fairly balanced, though ultimately anti-Franco, argument before us.

Well worth a read.

Red Sky at Sunrise: Cider with Rosie, As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, A Moment of War

4.0 out of 5 stars A great collection... but how much is true?, 25 Aug 2013
I bought this collection for my holiday in Madrid - I like to read something set in the country I travel to and have had this collection on my wish list since I first read Cider With Rosie. I re-read Cider With Rosie before leaving for Spain and loved it as much the second time round as the first. It's not a book with a narrative line; it moves from one year to the next and back again, each chapter focussing on a particular thing - his mother, the kitchen, school etc. But in its totality it paints a heartachingly beautiful picture of a life that has now gone, a poor, insular rural existence which had been the norm for many hundreds of years but which was to come to an end with the coming of the motorcar and the intrusions of the modern world. His love of family and home is infectious, and his descriptions of the English countryside magnificent.

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning gave a tremendously vivid impression of Spain before the Civil War, the grinding poverty that was beginning to ferment revolt. The first section is about his time in London living with ordinary working people. Contrast that and his time in Slad with what he finds in Spain and you realise the rural poor in Spain were centuries behind us, even though our people weren't living the life of Reilly. I went to some of the places he visited - Segovia, Toledo and Madrid - and indeed stayed in Madrid in the street parallel to the one in which he spent his last night or boozing and whoring in Madrid and which he revisited a couple of years later during the Civil War (in A Moment of War). Reading it on location added an extra dimension, but everything is so vividly described that you don't need to be there to enjoy it - he takes you there.

A Moment of War paints a truly grim picture of the chaos and tragedy of the Civil War. Spain has become a country in which no one is safe, no one trusts anyone, neighbour is set against neighbour, the streets are empty as people stay out of sight, out of mind in their houses.

I loved them all. There's too much to say about them, but the one thing I would say, having read around Laurie Lee's life a little, I wonder how much the poet has papered over the cracks of the truth to build up his own story, his own involvement.

There's a line near the end which for me very simply but very powerfully sums up the futility of war. He has finally seen action and has killed a man; "Was this what I'd come for, and all my journey had meant - to smudge out the life of an unknown young man in a blur of panic which in no way could affect victory or defeat?" Brilliant!

Russell Hobbs 18623 Espresso Coffee Maker
Russell Hobbs 18623 Espresso Coffee Maker
Offered by DRAYTON WHOLESALE

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 9 Aug 2013
Some friends donated me a faulty but very expensive Gaggia machine. Before it went VERY faulty, it made great coffee. This Russell Hobbs makes coffee of the same quality and in less time. The Gaggia took 10 mins to warm up - this is warmed up in about a minute. I'm very very pleased with it. No leaks, as some have reported. Yes, it's noisy, but the Gaggia made exactly the same noise at the same volume and it was 5 times the price!!!!

Long Life Lamp Company GU10 5 Watt Super Bright LED with New Chip Technology, Warm White 50w replacements

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 9 Aug 2013
I've replaced five 50W halogen bulbs (250W total - factor 30 required if you're in the room for more than 10 mins) with five 3W bulbs (15W total). The quality of light is great, possibly a bit too bright. I've now replaced almost all my halogen bulbs with LEDS. Expensive start up but they last 10 times longer than halogen which are £1.50 a piece or thereabouts so the benefit soon outweighs the initial cost, even before you look at the saving on your electric bill!

Ella In Hamburg
Ella In Hamburg

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Ella In Hamburg (Audio CD)
Love it, love it, love it. Worship the woman. Nicely recorded. Box was cracked on arrival but I guess that's par for the course with CDs from time to time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3