ARRAY(0xa0434bac)

Profile for R. Olds-Bartlett > Reviews

Content by R. Olds-Bartlett

R. Olds-Bartlett (London, UK)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Total Fail, 17 Jan 2011
Aren't these supposed to be waterproof?? Like a sponge, more like. My one-hour commute today was in steady rain. Within 10 minutes, the fingers of these gloves filled up with water. There was no way that water was getting in from the wrist (the cuff is in fact very well designed, and the cuffs of my jacket were likewise velcro'd tight over the cuffs of the gloves and weren't shifting at all). The fingers filled up so much that when I lifted my arm to signal/indicate or to adjust my glasses, the gloves poured cold water right down my wrist into the sleeve of my wool jersey. Not nice! Got sick of that after an hour, stopped, removed gloves and wrung - yes, wrung - at least a cup of water out of them. Utterly useless.

They're obscenely expensive to begin with but I'd consider them worth the price IF they were any good. As it is, Sealskinz is going to be on the sharp end of a very stiff complaints letter from me.

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

(And the search for good rainy weather gloves resumes...sigh)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 11:06 AM BST

Dark Assassin
Dark Assassin
by Anne Perry
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "gotten", 10 Jun 2007
This review is from: Dark Assassin (Paperback)
skirrow22 writes in his Sept 2006 review: ".. I do draw a line at the word 'gotten' which crept on to the page. Hardly a Victorian word, hardly an English word either!"

"Gotten" is an English word that was exported to America, where it survived. Its usage in England however died out. Anne Perry was perfectly correct to use it in her Victorian-era novels.