Profile for 30534 > Reviews

Content by 30534

"30534"

Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf (Vintage Classics)
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf (Vintage Classics)
by Edward Albee

5.0 out of 5 stars Who's afraid of Edward Albee?, 29 Jun. 2004
Albee's most renowned, and perhaps greatest play, "Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?", is a work of seminal genius. Set in a single room over the course of one night, alcoholics, George and Martha, play host to young couple Nick and Honey. In due course, each character becomes increasingly intoxicated, and drop hints and information about their lives.
Written in a colloquial manner, imitating authentic speech, Albee creates a beautifuly paced and written satire on American society. Originally rejected by many critics of the time as "vulgar", the play now stands as one of literay's finest works. This really is an essential read.
Frankly, Albee has constructed a masterpiece, capable of deep meaning and satitre, yet at the same time criticing American society with sardonic bitterness.

The Woman In Black
The Woman In Black
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: Beware readers with a nervous disposition., 29 Jun. 2004
This review is from: The Woman In Black (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book for the second time this week, and in different ways, it has left a lasting impression on my mind. I first read it mostly in a day, (this isn't a particuarly long novel), and although it creeped me out in a few places, and was generally a good example of a genre gothic horror tale, the book did not terrify me.
So then, later this week, in the evening, I am in the house alone and bored. I decided to read the woman in black once again, the only difference this time being it was approaching 11 o clock at night, and was on my own...
...Woah! Read at night, this is a totally new experience. I knew already what was to happen, yet being in a silent house alone in the night adds immense tension to this novel. Now, on the second time of reading, I was more tense and frightened than I can really remember. Seems funny now, but when I went to bed that night this book actually gave me pretty horrific nightmares!
I could actually feel my flesh creep, and the presence of the woman and the screaming child really did frighten me to powerful heights. Hill's writing seemed to gain in power and tension, and the atmosphere created was at points unbearably tense.
All in all this is a great read, and for any horror fan I would urge you to read this.
Pregnant woman, those of a depressed or nervous state, or people with weak hearts, approach with extreme caution.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2012 1:40 PM GMT