Profile for Lubenica > Reviews

A Feeling for the Organism: Life and Work of Barbara McClintock
A Feeling for the Organism: Life and Work of Barbara McClintock
by Evelyn Fox Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars Very inspiring!, 26 Aug. 2009
As a totally rebellious teenager, I refused to take science seriously... at the time, Iron Maiden seemed to epitomize everything I believed was right with this world. In came my father with this book, which I did not read right away. At some point I did and it made such an impression that more than 20 years later, I bought it again and am still fascinated by Barbara McClintock's life. For such a brilliant mind, McClintock's unassuming persona is very humbling and certainly inspiring. I found this book to present an interesting view of her life and work; Keller raises interesting ideas about the implications of being a woman in science, which I found particularly interesting. I found the book well researched and most importantly, I felt it succeeded in focusing on the person as well as the scientific accomplishment. I really enjoyed reading this book at the time and have enjoyed re-reading it.

The Greatest Hits
The Greatest Hits

4.0 out of 5 stars Great gift for Nina beginners, 26 Aug. 2009
This review is from: The Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
As a Nina lover, I liked this CD. It makes a good effort at bringing together a varied combination of tunes to give an overview of her musical versatility and possibly a great way to introduce her work to someone who may not know much about it (and believe it or not, there are quite a few people out there!). The choice of songs is interesting because there's a bit of everything... love, despair, hope, anger...

I disagree with other reviews that question the choice of recordings because of her voice. I think you can appreciate the maturity of her voice in some of the songs and of course, she was not going to sound like in the 60s forever, but I think that until her last performance she made songs her own and the strength of her character and performance came across every time.