Profile for MrMonopoly > Reviews

The Sea of Tranquility: A Novel
The Sea of Tranquility: A Novel

5.0 out of 5 stars This book left me speechless..., 19 Feb. 2013
My Rating; 5*s

Will I read anything else by this author? I would love to read anything this author writes in the future.

Would I recommend this book? Yes

Who would I recommend it to? Everybody.

Review; What does one say about a book like The Sea of Tranquillity? Well, I find I have nothing to say, simply because this book has left me speechless. I don't know what to say about this book.
I love everything about this book, every little thing and you can bet I'll never forget it. It's going to be a favourite and I'm going to have to buy my own copy of this book. Or maybe several copies so that I can give some to my friends and force them to read it and fall in love too...

This book is one of those books with all the raging reviews, one of the books that your not sure about, because a lot of the time a book doesn't live up to the reviews.
The Sea of Tranquillity does live up to those reviews.

The characters are amazing. They're real. The kind of characters you wish you knew in real life...well most of them are.
The plot, well you've seen damaged person meets another damaged person before, but you have not seen it the way Katja Millay writes it.

I feel like I'm not doing this book justice and like I'm not forming coherent sentences. Like I can't put into words how amazing this book is, how much of an impact it has.

There are only two things that I feel I need to tell you about this book:
This book is beyond amazing.
You should read this book.

That is all, because if I say anything else I will just be repeating how amazing the book is and it really will become incoherent. Pre-order this book! You won't regret it.

Obsidian (Lux Novel)
Obsidian (Lux Novel)
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, 19 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Obsidian (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
My Rating; 5*s

Would I read anything else by this author? Definitely, I can see her becoming one of my favourite authors.

Would I recommend this book? Do you even need to ask? Yes, I recommend this book.

Who would I recommend it to? I would say all, but I understand that that would be too vague, so all of you who like romance, YA, fantasy/science fiction...

Review; Okay,I can't believe I waited so long to read this book. I loved it.
Daemon is a jerk, but I love him anyway. Dee is awesome. Katy is also awesome. I just, I love these characters and I need to read the second book, like, nowish.

I don't really think there was anything I disliked about this book, other than a few characters which you're supposed to dislike anyway.

Now, what I liked about this book. Sure, I could just say everything, but that would probably be a bit too vague.

What I liked about this book was...it wasn't all about the romance (I just hate when books are all about the romance,) this book has plot, and no love triangles.
Katy has a backbone! I do love heroines with a backbone, rather than those who cower away from the action and are people pleasers.
Daemon Black. Yes, this is a valid reason.
Dee, her personality, and the fact that Katy's friends weren't bitches. I hate when the heroine has these supposed friends that are just nothing like friends. None of that in this book.
Before we find out that they're aliens (it says this in the description, so this is not a spoiler,) there are so many little mentions of aliens and ET. It made me laugh, actually, quite a few parts of this book made me laugh.

And, I'm going to stop there before I gush too much and give too much away.

You should definitely pick up a copy of this book if you haven't already. I loved it and I hope you will too.

I'm off to read the sequel.

Beyond Shame (Beyond, Book 1)
Beyond Shame (Beyond, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Beyond Shame by Kit Rocha, 19 Feb. 2013
My Rating; 4.5*s

Would I read anything else by this author? Yes, I most definitely would.

Would I recommend this book? Yes

Who would I recommend it to? Those who like dystopia novels, those who like erotic romance books, people over 18. I think that most people should give this book a try. An erotic dystopia is definitely something new to me.

Review; This book was my first erotic dystopia novel, and I definitely want to try some more of them.

Bad Things About This Book;
The only bad thing for me was that there wasn't enough information about Eden and the sectors. I suppose that there might be more information in the other three books, I hope there is.
It's not that we don't get enough information, because there was some information, more so towards the end, but I'd still like to know a little more about why the world is like that, and what's going on within the world.
That is my only bad thing.

Good Things About This Book;
- The characters. Oh, I am in love with the characters.
- There's a plot. A lot of time with erotic novels there seems to be no plot, and nothing happening but sex, sex, sex. This book did have a lot of sex, sex, sex, but it also had a plot. Stuff happening other than the sex.
- The sex scenes were well written and pretty hot (in my opinion.)
- There are tries and troubles in the relationships, which makes it much more realistic. The sex and the relationship was slightly fast, but it totally worked within the books, with everything else going on and such.
- Pretty much everything.

I seriously need the sequel to this book, like now, but it's not out until March!
This is a book I think y'all should try.

Three Stages of Love:  Lust: Volume 1
Three Stages of Love: Lust: Volume 1
by T.C. Anthony

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.5*s, 20 Jan. 2013
Originally posted on my blog: booktobookreviews

My Star Rating; 4.5*s out of 5

Goodreads Average Rating; 3.56

Would I read anything else by this author? I would like to read the next books in the series, so yes.

Would I recommend this book? Yes.

Who would I recommend it to? Fans of Adult Romances and Erotica books.

Review; I quite liked the characters in this book...they were realistic compared to some books. They had flaws! Some of those flaws were slightly annoying, but understandable. But the fact that they weren't perfect, that they seemed like real people, just made me like the characters more.
Even if Eva is slightly annoying on occasion.
The sex scenes were also realistic, especially when compared to some erotica books.
Alexander is my favourite characters in this book, and I'm sure he could become one of my favourite male characters for many reasons. He was realistic, like a lot of other things and people in this book. He was a sex god without being ALL alpha male. Which I find totally awesome, I mean, don't get me wrong, I like alpha male characters, but sometimes they're too alpha. Alexander wasn't perfect, but he was a great character, he had balance. He wasn't just one thing.

This book had me laughing, it had me crying, and it sometimes made me want to scream in frustration.

Personally I felt that some of the exclamation marks could have been cut out, and I found it odd that how much Alexander "giggled" but none the less, I enjoyed this book and would recommend it.

To sum it up; This book is realistic, frustrating, funny in parts, and I quite enjoyed reading it.

Babysitting the Baumgartners
Babysitting the Baumgartners

5.0 out of 5 stars Selena Kitt does it again..., 6 Oct. 2012
In the recent months that I have been exploring the erotic genre Selena Kitt has become my favourite erotica author. And this could possibly be the best I have read of her work yet! It was well written. There was a lot of sex, but there was also stuff other than the sex. Although there was more sex than say days spent on the beach fully clothed.
Selena Kitt's sex scenes are one of the best things about most of her novels and novellas. They're always hot. Extremely hot! And each book you read of hers leaves you wanting more. (There are very few of her stories that I wouldn't recommend!) If you happen to be looking for a new erotic book, or new erotic author to try out, try out Selena Kitt's work.
I honestly had 0 problems with this book. I loved the story, the spelling and grammar was good, I just loved everything about it. The characters were great. The plot. The style of writing. This is a book I will reread in the future. And I'm sure you will too!
This is a book that I would recommend to everyone over 18 who likes erotica.

Pushing the Limits
Pushing the Limits
by Katie McGarry

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the read..., 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Pushing the Limits (Paperback)
I'm going to give this book 4.5*s. I did enjoy, quite a lot actually, and usually I would give a book like this, that I stayed up to read and did not put down a full 5 stars, but I did have a few problems with this book.
Now, the book wasn't preachy. Not at all. But as an agnostic person I felt that God was mentioned to much for a book that involved no religion. It's like it was just thrown in sometimes. Just for the sake of it. There was one time when one of the characters asked another if they believed in God. That's a normal question, sure. But it felt like a thrown in question, because I don't feel it amounted or related to anything in that particular part of the book. Now, don't get me wrong. It wasn't preachy, and there was some points when the characters mentioned how they felt that God had given up on them. That was fine. That was relevant. I felt like sometimes God being mentioned wasn't relevant to the story.
Now don't go on to me about how people can express their religion and all that. I understand that, I am fine with people expressing their religion, either in person, or writing. That doesn't bother me. But it feels thrown in my face when it's not necessary.
Another problem for me was that we knew the problems were there, and we went into these problems slightly, but maybe not enough. You never really knew entirely what the characters were feeling. You had to guess things sometimes. I feel there could have been more to the world of the story, and more to the feelings and description of those feeling maybe. Because of this the problems seemed so over dramatic.

Now. What did I like about this book so much that despite my problems with it I still gave it a solid 4.5*s?

Well. There's also a lot to like about this book. The fact that the problems were based on something real. I think all of us would be damaged in some way if we went through what either of them went through, especially what Echo went through. It wasn't "my boyfriend broke up with me, I'm sad so I have to see a therapist," like it can be sometimes with books and authors who don't do research. No, this book was about damaged people who actually problems to be damaged about!
Most of the characters. Of course there is the exception of characters you're not supposed to like. I think Mrs Collins was my favourite character. She just seemed like the kind of person I'd like. Fast paced and an organised mess.
Echo was over dramatic with some things and a lot of the story seemed to revolve around her, but still I could help but like, and feel for her character.
Noah, he was so selfless! For his brothers, for Echo. And yet he could be slightly selfish at times. And sometimes like he just wanted to hold onto a childhood that was no longer there for him. My heard really went out to him.
Echo and Noah's relationship seem real. They had problems, things they had to work for. And things they had to work through. And I felt they were perfect for each other because it seemed like they needed each other.

Overall I felt that this book was worth the read. It is a book I could reread. And I would recommend it, but I'm warning you there are some things that might annoy you. But you never know, maybe I'm just being picky!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2012 6:35 PM GMT

Anna Dressed in Blood
Anna Dressed in Blood
by Kendare Blake

5.0 out of 5 stars N/A, 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Anna Dressed in Blood (Paperback)
Who would I recommend it to? Everyone

Review; I'm going to have to reread this book. Partly because I liked it so much and partly because I feel like I didn't take all of it in. This book is definitely something new on the market though.
I feel like Anna's character was written well. As well as Cas'. It was well written. Especially considering the whole thing was from Cas' point of view. Sometimes it is hard for a female writer to write from a males point of view, but it did not feel that way with this book.
The ending was well written too. I can't wait for the next book, and it didn't even really end in a cliffhanger!
I must admit that I had very high expectations for this book. I was not disappointed. This is well written and something new. I'd definitely recommend this book!

Matched: 1/3
Matched: 1/3
by Ally Condie

4.0 out of 5 stars ..., 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Matched: 1/3 (Paperback)
Who would I recommend it to? Those who like dystopia novels with less action.

Review; Ally Condie makes you ask questions. "Why does this happen? Why does this person act this way? What's going on here?" To me this is what makes a good book or series. Having questions that need to be answered, it keeps people reading.
I'm not entirely sure why I didn't rate it five stars. Maybe it was the way it was written. I'm not sure I like the style too much, though I can handle it.
Cassia - I like the name - her character was okay, but there was something missing. Xander, I would have liked to see more of him. There wasn't enough moments with Xander in, it stopped him from being a main part of the story as he should have been. Ky, I like his character. He is aware. He is smart. He is complex because of his past. I would like to get to know Ky better.
The main thing that threw me was her match. I thought she would get matched with a stranger and then fall for Xander, but boy was I proved wrong! I'm glad I was though.
Whilst nothing else made me slap my hand to my mouth there were a few unexpected moments. Things that kept me on the edge of my seat.
This may not be one of my favourites, but I still think it is worth a read. Matched is quite light compared to a lot of other dystopia books out there, but it is still not "fluffy." I think it is worth the read and it is a book I could reread in the future.

Crossed (Matched)
Crossed (Matched)
by Ally Condie

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed to be honest..., 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Crossed (Matched) (Paperback)
Who would I recommend it to? Anybody who read the first book. Even if you didn't enjoy it, because this sequel is better than the first book.

Review; I'm having problems with the love triangle. I don't think there's really any need for it to be honest. Other than that I enjoyed this book a lot more than the first. There was more going on.
I think that's the main reason I liked this book more. Because there was more going on. Cassia's character changed slightly, as expected after the things she went through. But I'm still not really a fan of her character. Xavier seems suspicious to me. And Ky is still one of my favourite characters although I wish he put his foot down in some places.
I like the poetry theme. You don't see a lot of poetry these days, so that was nice.
Honestly I don't have much to say about this series. I thought I would enjoy it a lot more than I did. I think I'll be reading the last book more out of obligation and slight curiosity. I wish I loved this series as much as I thought I would, but unfortunately I don't.

Someone Like You
Someone Like You
by Sarah Dessen

4.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting more for my first Dessen book., 4 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Someone Like You (Paperback)
Who would I recommend it to? Fans of chick-lit. Best friends.

Review; I enjoyed reading this book, but I am used to more happening. I'm not used to reading chick-lit, maybe that's why this book got four stars rather than five.
I would have liked the author to explore the mother daughter relationship more. Actually I would have liked the author to explore all the relationships more, we hardly ever saw or heard of Halley's father. So more background information would have been nice.
The motorcycle accident didn't seem realistic either.
I loved Halley's relationship with Scarlett. It was a great portrait for best friends. I have had two best friend in my life time and we have been as close as that if not closer.
Overall this book does teach some lessons. And it does portray a teenager in a realistic way with the parent problems and first love.
I'd probably recommend it more to teens more than adults, but I know there are some adults who have enjoyed this book!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9