Profile for Mr. Chris J. Popely > Reviews

Content by Mr. Chris J. P...

Mr. Chris J. Popely

Page: 1 | 2
ROCCAT Kone XTD Max Customization Gaming Mouse (ROC-11-810)
ROCCAT Kone XTD Max Customization Gaming Mouse (ROC-11-810)
Price: 59.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great software, comfortable, easy to use, POOR laser., 4 Jun 2014
This mouse is great, it's got the most comprehensive software for a mouse you could ask for, it counts clicks, scrolls, distance moved. You can change, colour, speed, tracking, lift off distance and so much more. It even gives you achievements for distance moved, clicks and more!

The downside, and it's HUGE, the laser is bad. When I say bad, I mean BAD. When I first got it, it was to replace an optical Razer DeathAdder, I've got a Corsair K70, red keys, I wanted a mouse that was capable of red lighting, the XTD looked good, features were great so it sold it for me.

I've now gone through two of these mice in about 12 weeks, the first lasted a ~8 weeks and the second a little over three weeks. Both just died on boot up, I keep a solid red colour, it would change colour and pulse immediately after boot then just cease to work.

It's a shame as I really like this mouse, it's incredibly comfortable and as I've said the software is great. There is an updated version coming out shortly with an optical rather than laser sensor, PC World have now stopped selling the Kone XTD, I can only assume they are waiting for the updated version.

Do yourself a favour, wait for the Kone XTD optical to be released, it'll be a far superior sensor and hopefully issues I've had with mine will be totally remedied.

Pioneer Vsx323 Blk
Pioneer Vsx323 Blk
Offered by Hyper-Fi
Price: 144.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Look elsewhere., 24 May 2014
This review is from: Pioneer Vsx323 Blk (Electronics)
I got this amp as a temporary replacement for a Yamaha RX-V373 budget amp, I think I paid 170 for my Yamaha, so it's really nothing special.

This Pioneer, is DIRE. The sound is flat, the speaker posts are barely attached to the back of the unit, the remote is dire, there is no on-screen display to help navigate the amps seemingly limited options.

Do yourself a favour, steer well clear and shell out 20-30 more for a budget amp, you'll regret buying this.

IKEA KORKEN - Bottle with stopper, clear glass - 1 l
IKEA KORKEN - Bottle with stopper, clear glass - 1 l
Offered by EverythingToYourDoor
Price: 6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The price is ridiculous., 21 April 2014
Currently 1.75 a bottle on the Ikea website usually 2.50. I don't know about your locale, but it's probably cheaper to drive to Ikea if you intend on buying more than one of these bottles.

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Price: 199.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible screen., 21 Mar 2014
The build quality of this Dell monitor is fantastic, but the screen suffers from insane light bleed, the bottom right corner looks like someone is shining at torch at it! The colour isn't great, compared to my other Eizo Flexscan this monitor isn't brilliant.

I plan to return it and purchase another Flexscan as they are far and away superior to this cheap Dell monitor.

*Edit* Shame, it's a decent looking monitor, It has put me off buying Dell again, I didn't want to take the chance of getting another dud so I bought two BenQ BL2411PT to go along with my Eizo photo editing monitor, which seem far superior to the Dell I had bought, both suffer from a little IPS glow but nothing I can't deal with (It's also worth noting the BenQ colour calibration was much better than the Dell).

Maybe if Dell had better QC I'd be using two Dell U2412's along with my Eizo, even my dog could have seen that this monitor had crazy light bleed, I'm not just being a picky customer.

Maybe it's a lottery with these monitors, maybe I got the 1 in 1000 dud, either way, I'm happy with my two BenQ monitors. I can only rate on my experience, and it's not been a great one! =)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 7, 2014 2:08 AM BST

Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.50GHz, 8MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770K, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boost Technology 2.0)
Price: 233.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrible IHS TIM., 10 Feb 2014
The chip it's self is decent enough, however, the thermal paste used between the die and heat spreader is TERRIBLE. I was hitting 98C using Prime95 with the XSPC full copper Raystorm AX240 rad and dual bay twin Liang D5 pump reservoir. After delidding and running the chip 'naked', i.e. block directly on the die, without a heat spreader I am getting decent temps at 4.7GHz. (Guess I won the silicon lottery!)
Great chip, terrible thermal paste.

Silentnight Memory Foam Core Pillow
Silentnight Memory Foam Core Pillow

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 11 Jan 2014
Really bad pillows, flat & uncomfortable. The memory foam is a REALLY thin sheet inside the pillow, it's far, FAR too thin to do anything. Avoid these pillows at all cost, do yourself a favour.

Kong Squeezz Ball, Medium
Kong Squeezz Ball, Medium
Offered by Pet Supply Company USA
Price: 3.69

1.0 out of 5 stars One to avoid., 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Kong Squeezz Ball, Medium (Misc.)
I've got a 17.5kg Standard Schnauzer, Schnauzers aren't renowned for their bite force and she still managed to compromise the ball in well under an hour playing fetch. I threw it about in the garden a day later and it gave up the chase. It probably lasted 90 minutes.

Unless your dog isn't a chewer, and lets face it, it is a chewing toy what with it having a squeaker installed, I'd avoid this one. Shame, she really loved this toy.

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
by Syl Arena
Price: 27.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, just wow., 10 Oct 2012
This is essential reading for any photographer, it goes into exquisite detail on everything from what clamps to use to which brand of batteries will last you the longest. A truly amazing read. This would be a true INVESTMENT at even a price of 60, and even more so now its on sale at 16.

Buy, buy, buy!

STOFEN OM-EY FOR CANON 580EX & 580EX II
STOFEN OM-EY FOR CANON 580EX & 580EX II
Offered by Five Star
Price: 8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all., 5 Sep 2012
I use mine with a 580 EXT II, it's soft plastic and fits over the flash head nice and snugly.

It does a great job of diffusing the light in all directions and if you know the limitations of a flash dome diffuser it will be a great edition to your kit.

It's at a very decent price point as well, I've bought other flash domes for Nikon Speedlights for a similar price and they haven't been as effective, and to boot they have been hard plastic making them prone to popping off of the flash unit if they aren't properly secured with a rubber band, no such issues with the Stofen.

Thinktank Retrospective 20 Camera Bag Pinestone
Thinktank Retrospective 20 Camera Bag Pinestone
Offered by ac-foto-AGB-Widerrufsbelehrung-Widerrufs-Formular
Price: 174.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product., 29 Aug 2012
I've had mine for four months now and it's an amazing product. I can fit a 5D Mk III, 24-70, 70-200, 50mm, flash, batteries, cards, filters and various accessories with room to spare. You can easily fit three flashes in the front pocket and three big lenses and a body in the main compartment.

It's solidly built, modular inside and the strap is thick and stiff as any I've seen, the shoulder pad is very rugged the only negative point I can find is the rubberized grippy stuff on the underside of the shoulder pad is coming off very slowy, but surely. I should imagine it will take a good couple of years to all go, but I am sure Think Tank will replace it for a small fee, no big issue.

All in all it's a very impressive bag, big, rugged and without a doubt built to last.

If you're even considering buying one, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2