Profile for HT > Reviews

WM Bartleet & Sons Coffee Filter Cone
WM Bartleet & Sons Coffee Filter Cone
Offered by Colanders Cookshop

2.0 out of 5 stars unsatisfactory, 25 July 2013
I bought this product as I prefer one cup of filtered coffee and was tired of buying the one cup filtered packaged products which are rather expensive, also I like to try different coffees. It looks nicer than the plastic versions but there my approval ends. I used it in conjunction with Melitta filter papers which were always OK in the distant past. I found the holes at the base too large, so the liquid filtered too rapidly and the coffee was weak and tasteless. Sorry, I wouldn't recommend this product.

Culloden
Culloden
by John Prebble

4.0 out of 5 stars A good find, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Culloden (Paperback)
This book is one I bought back in the 1970s when on a very wet camping holiday on the Isle of Skye. I can honestly say it changed my life. It invigorated history in a way that the subject never did at school, and totally rearranged my response to historical subjects. I wish now that I had carried out my intent to write to John Prebble and tell him how I felt. I have read unfavourable reviews of this tome, as well as good ones. mainly I gather, unfavourable because of historical inaccuracies. However it should not detract from the fact that it was one of the first 'history books' to breathe life - with its vivid descriptions and empathy with personalities and feelings - into a subject which I feel for many people would have been killed stone dead by the pedantic and positively anasthetic methodology employed by history teachers of yesteryear. Read it!

'The Perfect Marriage' Tea Towel
'The Perfect Marriage' Tea Towel
Offered by World Wide Shopping Mall Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job, 25 July 2013
This review is from: 'The Perfect Marriage' Tea Towel
Good product for those who are afficionados of Annie Tempests cartoons. I bought a pair of these (different designs) as a birthday present and they went down splendidly.

Nature's Feast 5Kg Premium Sunflower Hearts
Nature's Feast 5Kg Premium Sunflower Hearts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good., 25 July 2013
This product is fine, Ive bought from other stores, equally good, but couldn't remember the names off hand so gave this a try. The sunflower seeds are the favourite for all our garden birds. The product was well packed, and promptly delivered, and Id recommend this to other bird lovers.

Bosmere C595 Premium Parasol Cover
Bosmere C595 Premium Parasol Cover

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 25 July 2013
This is an excellent product, good value, well made, well packed, promptly despatched. I'd recommend bosmere products to everyone, and have just bought a bosmere 'winter overcoat' for a garden bench which will stay out all year.

Great Dishes of the World
Great Dishes of the World
by Robert Carrier

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find, 25 July 2013
Ive been looking for this for some time as my own copy (from the 1960s) really had reached the end of its useful life. The recipes are old-fashioned for modern times but some of these dishes are really the best Ive tasted. Robert Carrier cooks with plenty of cream and butter; the recipes are reliable, flavoursome, probably unhealthy by todays standards, - OK for the special occasion - but wonderfully rich and luxurious. Try the recipe for steak and kidney pie, you'll never find a better one. great for dedicated foodies who like leafing through the great chefs.

Good-night, Little A.B.C.
Good-night, Little A.B.C.
by Robert, Jr. Kraus

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 25 July 2013
I first had this book for my son during the 1970s. It is the nicest alphabet book that Ive ever seen, nicely produced, beautifully illustrated with quirky and touching little drawings. I read it to him every night when he was a toddler and it brings back very happy memories.

WMF 1.8 Litre Bueno Non-stick Cast Aluminium Low Casserole Dish, 20 cm
WMF 1.8 Litre Bueno Non-stick Cast Aluminium Low Casserole Dish, 20 cm

3.0 out of 5 stars Bueno casserole., 9 Feb. 2011
Last month I bought a bueno 20cm low casserole in a retail store in Oxford and was very pleased with it. So much so that the following week I purchased another apparently identical from amazon. Superficially the design is excellent, easy to use and exactly what I was looking for, something that I could use on my ceramic hob, and pop into the oven as well. The stay cool handles really do stay cool when it is used on the hob. It was immediately apparent however that the second one, although described in the same terms as the first, was of considerably inferior quality; it was much lighter in weight, flimsier in construction and the base discoloured badly and exuded a black excrescence when washed in the dishwasher. The difference between my two purchases was striking when using the item on the hob, the thinner base of the second pan, when heated, soon burnt the oil, whereas the first one heated as it should. My original product has the word 'Transtherm' underneath the base; the internet purchase doesn't. I can only assume that one is an induction product and the other isn't. If there are two different products out there they should be described as such. By comparison my second purchase is disappointing, despite the cheaper internet price.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 11:23 AM GMT