Profile for Val > Reviews

The Conquest of Happiness
The Conquest of Happiness
by Bertrand Russell

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 12 Jun 2014
The book I received was not Bertrand Russell's Conquest of Happiness, but a modern commentary on it, which refers to it, but contains none of the original's text. The "read inside this book" link on the site is completely misleading. I was disappointed and felt I had been tricked into buying something I didn't want. I am returning the book and requesting a refund.

The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing
The Complete Handbook of Novel Writing
by Meg Leder

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and useful, 21 Nov 2010
Having decided to embark upon writing my first novel, and having never attended any creative writing groups or courses, I found a lot of the tips and suggestions in this book very thought-provoking and practically useful. I was slightly put off by the fact that I do not much enjoy the writing of some of the contributors, but the fact of the matter is that they are published authors and so presumably must know a thing or two about what makes a book publishable, even if they do not all create literary masterpieces.
Probably if you have already attended a fiction writing course you would not find much new in this book, but it would serve as a useful reminder of some of the most common pitfalls to avoid.

Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Black (only fits Kindle Keyboard)
Amazon Kindle Keyboard Leather Cover, Black (only fits Kindle Keyboard)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 21 Nov 2010
I bought this as a birthday gift for my husband, knowing he would never buy one for himself, and thinking it was rather expensive for what it was. However, he was genuinely delighted with it, and concluded that it was well worth the money. It has proven extremely useful to him on his recent travels, very effectively protecting his kindle in his hand luggage whilst making it very easy for him to use it. He particularly likes the fact that he can now hold his kindle like a book, which he finds a much more relaxed way of reading. It also looks so elegant that it is as aesthetically pleasing as it is functional.