Profile for M. Beton > Reviews

Content by M. Beton

M. Beton

Page: 1 | 2
The Name of The Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle: Book 1 (Kingkiller Chonicles)
The Name of The Wind: The Kingkiller Chonicle: Book 1 (Kingkiller Chonicles)
Price: 4.31

5.0 out of 5 stars A book anyone who likes fantasy should most probably put on their reading list, 26 Feb 2014
It's taken me years to get around to reading this and now I wish I hadn't bothered. It's like sitting on red ants waiting for number three to come out. Still, I'd recommend this to anyone.

Have to say though, that whole 'sound of silence' thing gets irritating. Why did he put that in there? Doesn't match the rest of the book.

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 26 Feb 2014
Ahhhhh where is the next book? WHERE IS THE NEXT BOOK?!

Seriously, really good: you never know where Rothfuss will feel like sending Kvothe next. I just wish I'd delayed reading it until he publishes the next one, whenever that is.

The Graveyard Book
The Graveyard Book
Price: 3.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 26 Feb 2014
It's Neil Gaiman. It's going to be good, isn't it? There was something odd about it I couldn't put my finger on though, maybe that it felt like a short story. I'm not sure what it was, but it felt unfinished. Still, it was clever and the characters were interesting and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

The Iron King (The Iron Fey - Book 1)
The Iron King (The Iron Fey - Book 1)
Price: 0.98

2.0 out of 5 stars Could work for some people, 26 Feb 2014
The story is okay, but I am really bored of female main characters who are carbon copies of this one.

Silken Dreams
Silken Dreams
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Abandoned it early, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Silken Dreams (Kindle Edition)
I'm going to be honest, I think I was only on the third page when I abandoned it, but I already felt it was a bit trite.

The Dark Lord of Derkholm
The Dark Lord of Derkholm
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 26 Feb 2014
Fantastic book. Typical Diana Wynne Jones style with a broad span of main characters and plot, and somehow a really endearing story.

The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One
The Blade Itself: The First Law: Book One
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly good, 2 Jan 2014
I didn't come to this book with any particular expectations (I'm not keen on the title. I like good titles. Just SO much easier to share good titles with friends) and when I began reading it I was really underwhelmed. Lots of uninteresting things happening to uninteresting people and I found it hard to believe all of the chapters were set in the same time period (there's an anachronistic character. Read it and you'll see).

It suddenly became really interesting. The characters, all announcing a firmly dim view of humanity, suddenly had a lot of colour and fascination to them and the paths of the different characters gradually got closer and closer. I even quite like Glokta and Jezal.

I don't know how this author did it, but he's ended up with a very remarkable and engaging book. Definitely worth the time and effort for anyone who likes this subset of fantasy.

Flame Moon (A Flame Moon Novel Book 1)
Flame Moon (A Flame Moon Novel Book 1)
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not for me, 11 Oct 2013
Mild spoilers:

It's probably a good book if you're looking for fantasy fluff, but I never got to the end because I didn't get much satisfaction from reading it. Expect typical trope-ish plot elements, such as uncomplicated memory loss, discovery of untapped powers, and a romance which comes as a complete surprise to the protagonist but is a bit depressing to a reader who wants a bit more emotional depth. You expect it before even reading the book, and it's marched out with little originality but plenty of sex scenes. Above all, I wish the female main character had not flown off the handle at everything, I am fairly bored of female protagonists who are described one way by all the other characters but seem to present none of those traits to the reader.

Having said that, you will like this if you want something free that you can enjoy in an uncomplicated, detached way. Everyone likes fluff now and then, so this is that fluff. It's easy, it's got a plot which moves at a pace which doesn't dry your brain out, and there's a dog.

How to Use, Adapt and Design Sewing Patterns: From Shop-bought Patterns to Drafting Your Own: A Complete Guide to Fashion Sewing with Confidence
by Lee Hollahan
Price: 11.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Good all-rounder., 26 Aug 2011
Lovely book. Tackles whole realm of pattern altering and creating in a very thorough, comprehensive way. It also has a useful section on basic sewing techniques so you've got something useful to refer to when putting your self-made pattern together. I'm incredibly glad I bought this book, and wishing I hadn't bought the other, more expensive one first.

Being Jamie Baker
Being Jamie Baker
by Kelly Oram
Price: 5.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridiculously cute., 1 Aug 2010
This review is from: Being Jamie Baker (Paperback)
The story seems a completely hackneyed idea - the main character is a social outcast and the attractive quarterback (I still don't know what one of those actually does) suddenly decides to befriend her and they bond over a school project before having to struggle against catty cheerleaders and jocks, and any other American highschool problems you can think of.

Inexplicably, the cliche of the whole story just makes the whole thing sweeter. I was shocked that I liked it so much. You can sympathise with the main character, whose unusual superpowers seem to obliterate her chance at a normal life. I didn't expect it to be so compellingly written either, because of the 'American highschool' thing, which usually bores me to tears, but Jamie and Ryan are so endearing, and the whole book is brilliant, and it's just ah...

I haven't felt so happy after a book for years.

Page: 1 | 2