Profile for spleenharvester > Reviews

Content by spleenharvester

spleenharvester

Page: 1 | 2
Pentel Liquid Gel Refill for Energel and Lancelot Excecutive Pens in Box of 12 - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! Retrofitted to other pen brands, 4 Jun. 2014
Got recommended these by somebody and after seeing the glowing reviews I thought I'd give it a shot.

I bought these for my Lamy Safari, Lamy Al-star and Waterman Hemisphere pens. They do not fit these pens by default as they are larger than the international standard sized cartridge but can be cut down to size.

Previously tried Waterman, Lamy, Parker, Pilot G2 and Monteverde cartridges and was absolutely tearing my hair out as about 95% of them were dead on arrival! Possibly old stock from a seller or something, who knows.

Anyhow, I bought these on a whim, as time is running short for exams - and they are exactly what I'm looking for. Nice and smooth and enable me to write perfectly in my exams without getting hand cramp or anything similar. The ink does initially run a bit watery and not as dark as you'd expect but after 5 minutes or so of use it starts writing normally.

Also a good cartridge for the above pens is the Schmidt 888F but note this is a standard size refill that can't be modified to fit a Pentel pen!

Ink is filled pretty well in all of them (closer to the top than the picture suggests). I cannot recommend them enough.

Waterman Rollerball Fine Black Refill - Pack of 2
Waterman Rollerball Fine Black Refill - Pack of 2

1.0 out of 5 stars Both were completely useless, 26 May 2014
Bought two of these and both were DOA. Worked fine for about 10 minutes and now they just skip and jam constantly.

I've also tried Lamy, Pilot G2 and Monteverde cartridges and all were equally useless. So I now have a £55 paperweight of a pen.

Steer well clear of Waterman is my advice!

Brother DCP-J132W A4 All-In-One Colour Multifunction Wireless Inkjet Printer
Brother DCP-J132W A4 All-In-One Colour Multifunction Wireless Inkjet Printer
Offered by jj-pc-store

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality printer and refill-friendly!, 30 April 2014
EDIT: Just to follow up to this, I've been using it a few weeks now, it is so so much more ink efficient - I've been through an entire ream and my refillables are still ~70% full. I haven't had to head clean it once, either. :-)

EDIT 2: Another follow up. It turns out the ink carts do get disabled at chip-level once they are completely empty unfortunately, so if you refill then you will need some ARC chips (that usually come with them). They seem okay if you refill before they're empty though.

1) It uses sensors to detect how full the cartridge is, not the chip, so refilling them is way easier. You can swap the chips onto some refill cartridges (the ones I bought anyway) as no data seems to be stored about ink levels on them. The printer asks you if you replaced a cartridge if you remove, refill and replace it - if you hit yes, it resets it back to full. No more of Epson's guessing how full the cartridge is and then disabling it.
The carts are also at the front, behind a little door - not inside the printer. It has a CISS sort of mechanism. I think Brother may produce the only refillable printers now - Epson have disabled most non-genuine carts in their newest firmware update.

2) It doesn't go through the horrific ink purge cycle every time you turn it on, power it off or breathe on it - you save the date and time on it and it does all the maintenance itself when needed. At least 1/3 to 1/2 of the ink in my Epson just ended up in the waste ink tank. Not only does this save an awful lot of ink, it also saves a lot of time - and after a week's use I haven't seen it need to head clean, or manually had to head clean it, in the slightest.

3) The purge tank counter can (supposedly) be reset using the maintenance menu - meaning when the ink pads eventually get saturated, you can wash and dry them and then reset the counter, and keep using it like normal. (this is what killed my XP-205 in 8 months and there's no way of resetting those). Pretty sure the ink pads are under a small door on the bottom but I don't want to fiddle with anything until I need to.

4) It has a paper tray so it doesn't stick out the back irritatingly.

5) There's a "scan-to-file" function that lets you scan a file directly into a folder on your computer using the controls on the printer, as either PDF or JPEG. After you scan, it asks you if you want to scan any more pages - if you do, these pages will also be added to the PDF. A job that took hours on the Epson would probably take about 20 minutes maximum here.

6) No more annoying flashing LEDs and it goes into sleep mode when not being used, like some laser printers do.

Only gripe is the scanner is really bright and I can't get the settings to save changes, and it took some troubleshooting with port forwarding to get print-to-file to function (I had to open 54921 in addition to 54925 which the installation adds for it to work)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2014 1:08 AM GMT

200G 10% Sulphur Soap
200G 10% Sulphur Soap
Offered by Christina May Ltd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Temporary fix, 6 April 2014
This review is from: 200G 10% Sulphur Soap (Misc.)
Bought this along with the 200G Tea Tree Soap, also by Christina May, to try and help with acne (which Quinoderm worked fantastically against until I managed to become allergic)

Both suffer the same problem: work initially, but after a couple of weeks, acne gets about 10x worse - worse than I've ever seen it in fact. Particularly concentrated around the upper lip.

It may just be me - I do have a small suspicion I'm allergic to tetrasodium EDTA, which was in Quinoderm and a few other things, and I do get a similar reaction if I overuse it. So take this with a pinch of salt.

This one is definitely nicer than the tea tree soap though. Wasn't as harsh.

LAMY safari Rollerball Pen - Charcoal Matt Black
LAMY safari Rollerball Pen - Charcoal Matt Black
Offered by LPC Stationers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, but cartridges leave much to be desired,, 13 Feb. 2014
Bought one of these to replace my Parker rollerball since Parker's british factory closed down, and the refills from the French factories are absolutely appauling (as in, 3/6 I bought were DOA, 2 died in the space of a few days and only 1 has been going for a few weeks like it should do)

Personally, I find the pen a bit too bulky to write quickly with, and I'm really not a fan of the triangular grip, but that may just be because I'm used to my Parker.

The cartridges are the biggest let down. They feel like just a standard ballpoint to me, without the fluidity of the Parker refills.

I am going to try and retrofit a Pilot G2 gel cartridge into it, it's apparently do-able with modification.

Also bought a Lamy Al-star, and prefer this one personally. Though the grip on the Al-star is a bit easier to hold.

200Gram Tea Tree Soap
200Gram Tea Tree Soap
Offered by Christina May Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: 200Gram Tea Tree Soap (Misc.)
Bought to replace Quinoderm cream, which I used for three years before coming allergic (after stockpiling £40 worth of the stuff, typical really!).

Used this for a week and my skin has not been this clear in years! And this is somebody who has tried tons of different treatments and found the Quinoderm to be only mildly effective. This blows it out of the water.

I do however seem to have a slight allergy to the soap, but it's not a problem because it's washed off right afterward. The only common ingredient with the Quinoderm is EDTA so I suppose that may be it.

AQA Physics A A2: Student's Book
AQA Physics A A2: Student's Book
by J Breithaupt

2.0 out of 5 stars Really unimpressive, 13 Feb. 2014
We got lent these by our school so I really can't complain. But I've personally found this book to be awful, too much unnecessary detail and not enough of what is actually going to help you in the exam.

This is the only time I can actually safely say the CGP books are better. I've also ordered the Collins book in the hope that may be better again.

Genuine Original DELL 15" 15.4" 15.6" (39.6cm) Neoprene Laptop Sleeve Case Pouch Bag , Dell P/N: NGK7P , 460-11708
Offered by Megga Distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Great case, 2 Feb. 2014
Lots of protection, doesn't smell bad, genuine Dell (unlike many others that claim to be). No extra pockets, which is what I wanted really, just a basic Neoprene case. Fits my E5500 like a glove.

Parker Quink Rollerball Pen Refill Fine - Black (Blister Pack)
Parker Quink Rollerball Pen Refill Fine - Black (Blister Pack)

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, awful cartridges from Parker France,, 2 Feb. 2014
I have used parker cartridges for a while, all the ones I have bought are british made but found these online cheaper.

Read another review on a similar product saying the QC of parker factories in france is obviously lacking, citing the same problem as I am about to, but I discounted this as just bad luck.

Apparently that was a mistake. I bought 5 cartridges, all were from french factories. And all have gone in the bin in the space of about a month. The ink is fine but the rollerball is scratchy and eventually seizes up, becoming unusable.

So whatever you do, find British made ones. Because I just wasted £13 and there's no reason why you should.

Fudge Body Builder Shampoo 1 Litre
Fudge Body Builder Shampoo 1 Litre

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff, 2 Feb. 2014
Bought to replace the Tigi Bed Head Antidotes #1 which, although I loved, I became allergic to after a few years of use.

This stuff was a perfect replacement, no more allergies. Hair comes out a bit shinier (whether you like that or not) but doesn't get greasy as quickly.

Page: 1 | 2