Profile for dick > Reviews

Content by dick

dick (Westport CT)

Secrets Of The Beehive (Digipak)
Secrets Of The Beehive (Digipak)
Offered by positivenoise
Price: 19.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful album, 20 Mar 2006
First, to correct the 'official' review: this was actually Sylvian's third album after leaving Japan, Gone to Earth being the second.
If you haven't yet discovered this amazing artist, I strongly urge you to take the opportunity. There are very few records I keep returning to more than 10 years later - almost 20 years later for Brilliant Trees! - and every one of David Sylvian's albums falls into this category. What's the music like? If you imagine Scott Walker's voice in a singing style closer to Bryan Ferry's, with Eno's approach to production (and, often, his choice of musicians), you're getting close. But still the experience is unique.
This is music that, at least for me, reveals itself very slowly - but then continues to unfold in meaning as I listen to it in different life contexts over the years. There's a great diversity to the work: at the time, I was disappointed with every Sylvian album up to Nine Horses, finding them to be not what I had expected - not like the previous albums. Then, sometimes years later, I listened again and was amazed at having felt that way: this music is as near perfect as anything I ever hope to hear. Put another way: I have favorite tracks on each of the albums, but they too have changed over the years.
Many listeners think Beehive is the best of all the Sylvian albums, so give it a try. Personally, I greatly prefer Gone To Earth, which is less structured, the accompanying musicians (accomplished jazzers) having more space into which to expand. But it doesn't really matter where you start - you'll get to all the records eventually!
So: if you haven't heard this one yet, I envy you the rare treat you're about to have!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2012 12:52 AM GMT