Profile for Aftermidnight > Reviews

Frederick Thomas navy skull pattern tie with signature floral design to rear
Frederick Thomas navy skull pattern tie with signature floral design to rear
Offered by Frederick Thomas Ties

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead Good, 4 Nov. 2014
I originally got this for Halloween but I'll certainly be using it more frequently. Decent quality - it's nice and thick - decent price, lovely design. Goes quite well with my skull cuff links too.

Meinl HCS 18-inch Crash/Ride
Meinl HCS 18-inch Crash/Ride

5.0 out of 5 stars Smashing., 5 Dec. 2013
This cymbal is great. Hit it with the tip of your stick for a ride sound, whack it hard for a crash. I'm using it primarily as a ride at the moment but would even use it uniquely as a crash in a future set up. I also broke my stick on it at my last gig, so it seems to be pretty durable...

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Release the rum, 15 Feb. 2012
I'm more of a whiskey man myself, but do love the occasional rum, and having tried Kraken at my local I got myself a bottle for film night I was hosting. Suffice to say it was gone in hours. It's great neat, where you get the most flavours, and when mixed it's a considerable cut above other rums. Great bottle too!

Monogamy Game for Couples
Monogamy Game for Couples

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Valentine's Day ever..., 15 Feb. 2012
I got this for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day since we both thought it looked pretty fun. And it was. Is. It's perfectly designed, working through Intimate level, which is a mix of romance and soft sexiness, Passionate, a bit more suggestive, and Steamy, which is very hot indeed. The game is great, it pushes you into situations you may not have previously dared to instigate or some you may have just overlooked, and apologies for the cliche, makes you so much more comfortable with each other. Really highly recommend; we are both 20 but I can see this appealing to anyone, any age or orientation, who loves having fun with their partner.

House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD]
House Of 1000 Corpses [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sid Haig
Offered by Rapid-DVD

4.0 out of 5 stars House of a Thousand Thumbs-Up, 8 Nov. 2011
Really really fun film. Well, you probably have to be into horror to enjoy it, and have seen enough cheap exploitation flicks to appreciate what Rob Zombie is doing with the genre. The dialogue is sharp, the photography is excellent - the film swims with a kind of druggy, grainy haze - and it all adds up to, if not a great film, a rewarding film, for Zombie fans and horror fans.

Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
Faith Divides Us - Death Unites Us
Offered by hotshotrecordsgermany

5.0 out of 5 stars Cathedral music, 30 July 2011
PL have been through many phases as a band, and with Faith Divides Us... return to their roots as a death/doom metal band. Not that this is a death metal album - even with the speed ramped up and double kick drumming blasting out, the band remember their sense of melody and balance which is of course the reason they are leader of their genre. But there are less keyboards here. The guitars are what are providing the atmosphere here, soaring, riffing and droning to create the kind of music you can imagine playing when standing in a cathedral nave.
The limited edition is worth the money. Presented like a hardback book with a disc in each inner cover, it's pages contain all the lyrics and some genuinely stunning imagery, mostly medieval sourced woodcuts and carvings (cathedral imagery, of course). Which all adds up to an immensely satisfying package.
Best of all, it has that new book smell...

UNION BLACK
UNION BLACK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 12 July 2011
This review is from: UNION BLACK (Audio CD)
Well, in few words, this is the best album Skindred have made so far. The songs are consistently of a higher quality, with lead single Warning up right there along side "Trouble" and "Nobody". Obviously Skindred aren't everybody's cup of tea but fans will love this and it's a strong place for newcomers to the band to get an idea of what they're about. "Doom Riff" is my favourite song on the album.
See them live as well, because they truly do kiss ass. It's like a heavy metal mosh, club rave and punk rally all in one.

A Slight Case Of Overbombing: Greatest Hits Volume One
A Slight Case Of Overbombing: Greatest Hits Volume One

4.0 out of 5 stars "Greatest Hits" Volume 1, 14 Jun. 2011
Of course, "Greatest Hits" is not equivalent to "Best of". The Sister's strength was in creating albums that were full pieces of music, to be listened to as a whole. Take songs out of context and the recording suffers a bit. Also, many of the best songs were never released as singles (Marian, Floods I and II, Some Kind of Stranger... off the top of my head), so of course, they don't get a look in. Finally the track list is in reverse chronological order, which will give a bit of a skewed listen to first-time experimenters with the band.

But.

Let's face it, all the songs here are, individually, very good. It's weird to hear tracks from such differently orientated albums juxtaposed together, but it's a great record to stick on in the car and just revisit a selection of the Sister's fine (if not finest) tracks. Advice though, if you know you like the Sisters of Mercy, just buy all the albums, they're all worth it :).

The Blackening
The Blackening

5.0 out of 5 stars Just brilliant, 14 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Blackening (Audio CD)
To begin with, Machine Head's style of music isn't one I'd say I was a fan of: groove, death, thrash, whatever. I generally like rock and goth, but I'm open to lots of genres. And so I gave The Blackening a go, based on the hype. And just... Wow. The individual parts, like screamed vocals, lightning guitar, they're not my kind of thing. But they add together to something so much more than the sum of their parts. Songs are genuinely interesting to listen to, and the sound it gives is deeply atmospheric without having to resort to electronics prevalent in, for example, nu metal; It's all in the guitars and the unexpectedly brilliant and original drumming, which transcends the usual Gatling gun death/thrash double-kick salvos for the most part. I really recommend this album, even to someone like me who isn't a metalhead. It really is rewarding and, actually, exciting to listen to.