Profile for KateP > Reviews

Content by KateP

KateP (Devon, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2

Eye to Eye: Photographs by Vivian Maier
Eye to Eye: Photographs by Vivian Maier
by Richard Cahan
Price: 29.62

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific companion volume to other Maier books., 13 Aug 2014
The photographs in this book were put together by Richard Cahan, who also compiled the marvellous book "Vivian Maier - Out of the Shadows".
For those new to Vivian Maier's photography and story, Shadows is a more appropriate book to buy first, (as is Maloof's Street Photographer) as it shows a broader selection of her amazing work, and explains with more text the story of how the photographs came to light.
Eye to Eye wakes a great companion volume though, here Cahan has only chosen photographs in which, as the title suggests, the subjects meet the photographer eye to eye. As in his first book, the photographs haven't been cropped or changed, they are as they were discovered, which makes Maier's eye for a memorable shot even more impressive.

Murder at Dareswick Hall (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 2)
Murder at Dareswick Hall (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 2)
Price: 1.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first book in the series, 26 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed Murder at Ashgrove House, the first book in the Rose Simpson series, and was very pleased to discover that this, the second, is even better. It started with more pace, and the murder occurred earlier in the book. The pace picks up again, and the author maintains intrigue, as the layers of mystery are gradually peeled back towards a very satisfying denouement - with as interesting a whydunnit as the whodunnit. I'm already looking forward to the third in the series, and to see how Rose's character and those of the people around her continue to develop.

House Of Cards - Season 1 (DVD + UV Copy)
House Of Cards - Season 1 (DVD + UV Copy)
Dvd ~ Kevin Spacey
Price: 14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 26 May 2014
I thought I would be a prime candidate for this DVD, with an interest in politics and political intrigue, and was looking for something engrossing following the wonderful Breaking Bad. But....I just could not get into it, I had no interest in any of the characters or their lives, and so I gave up after only a few episodes.

The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Street-wise Cat
by James Bowen
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy follow up, 26 May 2014
I loved James & Bob's first book, having been given it as a gift without any prior knowledge of them. This time I had high expectations of the book, and it met them and more. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the continuation of their story, and how their relationship has developed. Fully recommend.

The Norm Chronicles: Stories and numbers about danger
The Norm Chronicles: Stories and numbers about danger
by Michael Blastland
Price: 9.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read for a non mathematician, 25 Mar 2014
Working for many years with older people, and assessing risk as part of that, I assumed I was in a very small minority of people fascinated by the probability of risk. I had no idea there were mathematicians who studied it as a discipline. I was very excited when, via the radio 4 programme about statistics in the news, "More or Less", I heard about this book, and I snapped it up.

Perhaps ironically for a person with very limited maths knowledge, it was actually the parts about the characters, Norm, Kelvin and Prudence, that I found less engaging. They introduced each chapter, but their stories were sometimes hard to make sense of, the narrative seemed to start in the middle, and eventually I started to skip those parts.

The rest of the book I could not praise more highly. I am now even more fascinated by how and why we as a society decide that some risk is less acceptable than other risks. For instance we see climbing Everest as a positive experience and taking ecstasy as less so, despite the far greater risk of death following the former.

Would love to read more by these authors.

Murder at Ashgrove House (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 1)
Murder at Ashgrove House (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 1)
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars True Country House Murder Mystery, 24 Dec 2013
I found this a great read. A true country house murder mystery very much in the Agatha Christie vein. I really like Downton Abbey and that style, and so was very pleased that the servants play an active role in this book. As the blurb says, it is full of red herrings and clues, so I was able to have a go at solving the crime and identifying the murderer, but in some books it can be too easy, and this wasn't. Alternatively, I would imagine that for those who just enjoy a good murder mystery without trying to solve who did it, it would appeal too. The book has obviously been well researched with attention to period detail and has an interesting array of characters. I am very much hoping I won't have long to wait for the next Rose Simpson mystery in the series, and would highly recommend this book to all golden age of crime fiction fans.

Page: 1 | 2