Profile for KateP > Reviews

Content by KateP

KateP (Devon, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Oh Dear Silvia
Oh Dear Silvia
by Dawn French

3.0 out of 5 stars The book got better as it went along, 16 April 2015
This review is from: Oh Dear Silvia (Paperback)
The book got better as it went along; a really interesting idea and well executed, except for the light hearted parts - I didn't find them funny, rather silly, and for me they detracted from what otherwise was a well thought out and constructed story.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
by Rebecca Skloot

5.0 out of 5 stars I've bought more copies for friends., 26 Mar. 2015
This book is a cross between the novel The Help, a biology text book and a sociological study of a poor black American family. This makes it sound dry and academic, but it was anything but. I didn't understand all the science, but that didn't matter. A totally engaging read. I picked it up on the off chance for 10p in a charity shop - I have now bought a copies for friends.

Dog Eat Dog: Confessions of A Tabloid Journalist
Dog Eat Dog: Confessions of A Tabloid Journalist
by Wensley Clarkson

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a (mostly) unashamed no holds barred account of how a successful tabloid journalist got his most famous stories - by fair, 3 Mar. 2015
Written in 1990, but I read it in 2015 - a lifetime in tabloid journalism. It is a (mostly) unashamed no holds barred account of how a successful tabloid journalist got his most famous stories - by fair means (rarely) and foul. It's a book that would never be written now post Leveson Inquiry, post phone hacking scandal world, and for me was jaw dropping in the tabloid press' clear lack of any moral backbone or fibre, whilst expecting the rest of the world to have both. Without meaning to be, in my view it's a clear call for the press to be regulated.
It's a well written, page turning, easy read.

Vivian Maier: A Photographer Found
Vivian Maier: A Photographer Found
by John Maloof

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply terrific, 18 Jan. 2015
This collection of Vivian Maier's photographs is superb - they are laid out well in what is a large, good quality and heavy book. Rather than rushing through it, I treated myself to just 3 or 4 images a day to really appreciate her skill and eye.
I do wonder why Maloof felt the need to repeat some of the pictures from his other books on Maier, especially as there is such an immense body of her work to choose from - I suspect he released this as the companion volume to his film "Finding Vivian Maier" and wanted to include her most well known photographs - but it's a shame if you already have the other books. I haven't marked my review down though, as this is, I feel, now the book to start with if you are looking for an introduction to Vivian Maier, and the images and her story are so compelling I can't give any less than 5 stars.

Murder at Sedgwick Court (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 3)
Murder at Sedgwick Court (Rose Simpson Mysteries Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the series so far., 31 Dec. 2014
The Rose Simpson Mysteries are going from strength to strength. I particularly loved the setting of this, the third in the series, I could imagine Sedgwick Court so well in my mind. We see the reintroduction of some characters from previous books, plus some new ones, the descriptions of which I thoroughly enjoyed. A good, solid plot as always, with twists and turns, I couldn't work out who did it or why, but it all made sense at the end. A lovely light read and a real page turner – at one point I inadvertently went ahead of myself on my kindle and was gutted when I thought something had been given away. Keep writing Ms Addison, I want to know what happens to Rose!

Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Finding Vivian Maier [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Maloof
Offered by FILMNIGHT

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth watching., 28 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Finding Vivian Maier [DVD] (DVD)
I first heard about Vivian Maier watching the briliant BBC "Imagine" documentary, and have since bought 4 of the books - Street Photographer, Out of The Shadows, Eye to Eye and the more recent A Photographer Found, which appears to be a companion volume to this DVD, as it covers much of the same ground.
If you are familiar with her work, many of the same photographs appear in the film as in the books, but this didn't detract from the story for me. I was also unaware of her short films. I liked the way this movie was from Maloof's perspective, how the journey was as much his of the discovery of her photographs, as it was of Maier's. It feels like he questions honestly his own motivations for publicising her the work (which she probably would have disliked intensely) as well as her motivations for creating such a huge body of deeply impressive photography.

Becoming Johnny Vegas
Becoming Johnny Vegas
by Johnny Vegas

5.0 out of 5 stars A privileged insight, 23 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Paperback)
I've always found Johnny Vegas fascinating; he is responsible for the funniest few minutes I have ever seen on TV (his interview on Room 101 about Beauty's Castle) and yet at other times I have felt uncomfortable watching such a loose canon, fearful of where he would go. I now know, having read this fascinating book, why I was having such conflicted feelings and that they are but a pale shadow of Michael Pennington's own.
It is written in a style that takes some getting used to, but is appropriate for the subject matter, and I wonder how long it took Michael to find a way of saying what must have been so difficult to put into words. It's a privileged insight into a comedic brain and one person's inner psyche.
I don't know what Michael is doing since he wrote the book, I hope he is finding a path that is a little easier to tread.

Lunch On The Go Chicago Greetings Card By Vivian Maier
Lunch On The Go Chicago Greetings Card By Vivian Maier
Offered by Lip International Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 23 Nov. 2014
Lovely cards

Screwing Up: How One MP Survived Politics, Scandal and Turning Forty
Screwing Up: How One MP Survived Politics, Scandal and Turning Forty
by Mark Oaten

5.0 out of 5 stars but also was the best description I have read of what it must be ..., 30 Oct. 2014
I wouldn't have read this if it hadn't been in a charity shop for 20p, as in my lazy amateur psychology way, I had already decided what I thought about Mark Oaten's scandal. This book not only served to challenge me about that, but also was the best description I have read of what it must be like to be an MP in this country.
I disagree with much about Mark's politics (even more so now that I discover he is working in the fur industry), but this is an enlightening and well written book, and worth spending considerably more than 20p on.

Mailcoms Royal Mail Size Guide Ruler Template
Mailcoms Royal Mail Size Guide Ruler Template
Offered by Mailcoms Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014
Does the job excellently.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3