Profile for Sultana of brunei > Reviews

Content by Sultana of brunei

Sultana of brunei "Sultana of Brunei" (Manchester)

Audyssey Lower East Side Audio Dock Air
Audyssey Lower East Side Audio Dock Air

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality build, 12 Oct. 2012
I bought this speaker as it was rated very highly in reviews and indeed once I had set it up (which was not the easiest process in the world......) it worked and sounded just fine. However, 31 days later (i.e 1 day outside of the returns policy) it just stopped working. The power light flickers briefly from time to time as if signalling to me that it has no intention of ever working again. It is currently an extremely expensive flickering light as despite e-mailing the manufacturers and calling their UK support number I have not yet been able to contact anyone to arrange a repair or replacement (or refund if possible). I would avoid this product. Shoddy build, complicated set up and non existent support. It sounded OK when it worked but at approximately £2.99 per song played, it's a very expensive way to listen to music......

Back Scratcher & Shoe Horn
Back Scratcher & Shoe Horn
Offered by CKONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with this scratch horn...., 2 Jun. 2011
This scratch horn stick is unquestionably in the top three inventions of all time but it does carry some risks which the buyer ought to be wary of.

Firstly, my wife always performed the task of scratching the inaccesible spots on my back and now she has been made slightly redundant now she has been relieved of this task. On the upside, she now sleeps through the night as I no longer need to wake her to perform this perfunctory task.

Secondly, i have inadvertently scratched the back of my knee whilst using the shoe horn revealing to me an itch I didnt even know I had. I now devote a significant amount of time to scratching the back of my knees whilst inserting my feet into tricky loafers which is a habit I could have done without.

Thirdly, the stick itself is of such a length that it demands to be used as a twirling majorette baton though my wife assures me this is neither big, clever or indeed hygienic. Nevertheless, I can now march the entire length of the house and finish with a flourish by throwing it into the air and catching it between my teeth. Bonus.

Overall a superb acquisition. I'll be buying all my family and friends one for Christmas.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 16, 2012 10:10 PM BST

Celtic Spirit Board (Ouija)
Celtic Spirit Board (Ouija)

1.0 out of 5 stars Misleading - @sultanaofbrunei, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Celtic Spirit Board (Ouija)
I was bought this item as a a present I am really keen on mystical chanting, Tarot card shuffling and satanic dabbling and stuff and the opportunity to combine all of that with talking to dead people is really appealing to me. However, in actual fact I am very unhappy with it and now wish to return it.

My main problem is the title - Celtic Spirit - which is entirely misleading. In my first three attempts I managed to summon Jock Stein, Billy McNeil and Roy Keane and he's not even dead. This product should be shipped in a green and white box or tartan or something so that people know it is Celtic with a soft 'c' and not a hard 'c'.

In itself, that would not be an insurmountable problem but I really struggle with strong Scottish accents and some of the words it was spelling out were unfathomable. Apparently 'cujemmy' and 'okaiydenoo' are proper Scottish words but if they are then they are lost on me.

All in all, a very disappointing present and it's not been out of the box since the family and I used it on Christmas day, which I think says it all really.

The Manchester Compendium: A Street-by-Street History of England's Greatest Industrial City
by Ed Glinert

1.0 out of 5 stars A misleading title.........., 5 Nov. 2009
The meaning of compendium is :-

1. a brief treatment or account of a subject, esp. an extensive subject; concise treatise: a compendium of medicine.
2. a summary, epitome, or abridgment.
3. a full list or inventory: a compendium of their complaints.

This book should have been entitled "One man's selective slant on Manchester"

It contains significant errors, serious misjudgements, heinous ommisions and is so selective in it's content that the reader is left wondering how on earth this book ever made it to print.

There have been so many great books written about Manchester and having read most of them I can tell you that this book feels like a work of fiction and jaundiced opinion rather than fact.

I have an extensive collection of books that occupy my shelves, not all of them are good or great but each has its own merit. On the basis that this book has none it will not be joining them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2010 1:12 AM BST