Profile for aristotle > Reviews

Wagner: Parsifal [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christian Thielemann
Price: 21.62

2.0 out of 5 stars Lovely music but ludicrous production., 2 Sep 2014
Some interesting ideas but the staging cannot be taken seriously: the images put me in mind of Dr Who.

Where Angels Fear To Tread [DVD]
Where Angels Fear To Tread [DVD]
Dvd ~ Helena Bonham Carter
Price: 11.06

2.0 out of 5 stars A waste of time., 13 Aug 2014
Picturesque but, ultimately, pointless. The problem being Forster's tale, rather than rhe film.

Pyramid Game Timer
Pyramid Game Timer
Offered by LIBRIUM Games
Price: 15.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Pipsqueak, 31 July 2014
This review is from: Pyramid Game Timer (Toy)
The auditory signal (the beep at the end of a countdown for example) is so feeble as to be virtually inaudible. Unless you play your games in funereal silence, no-one will hear it.

Oriental Akita Screen Room Divider in Cherry
Oriental Akita Screen Room Divider in Cherry
Offered by The Futon Shop Ltd
Price: 139.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah so!, 10 May 2014
As practical as it is beautiful. I use it to screen a conservatory window at night-time (as opposed to dreadful and expensive blinds). Delighted with it; all visitors are impressed.

The Strangler Vine
The Strangler Vine
by M. J. Carter

3.0 out of 5 stars A mild curry, 10 May 2014
This review is from: The Strangler Vine (Hardcover)
I enjoyed the Indian setting but the tale hardly lives up to the Amazonian-inspired hype. When it ought to have been coming to a gripping climax, I almost gave up completely. Having said that, I am glad I saw it through at least to the extent that the 'afterword' taught me some things about India which I did not know.

Whistle and Lanyard Black - size One Size
Whistle and Lanyard Black - size One Size
Offered by Sport Specialists
Price: 2.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get a peep out of it., 18 April 2014
This review is from: Whistle and Lanyard Black (Toy)
I ordered this for my 6 year old grandson. Luckily, I decided to have it delivered to my address rather than directly to him, as it turned out to be a complete piece of junk, and he would have been very disappointed. It certainly couldn't be described as a whistle, and was only fit for the dustbin.

From Up On Poppy Hill [Blu-ray]
From Up On Poppy Hill [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Goro Miyazaki
Price: 20.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant but trivial., 24 Mar 2014
Lovely animation, of course, but one has to be satisfied with that because the story is so slow, and so thin, that it barely holds one's attention at all.

Thor: The Dark World [Blu-ray] [2013]
Thor: The Dark World [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Chris Hemsworth
Price: 15.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled into buying this..., 16 Mar 2014
even the attempts at humour fail dismally. All I can say for it is that I just about managed to sit through it. Everyone in it is dreadful but, admittedly, the script and the story-line (if there is one) don't give them much to go on.

Ender's Game [Blu-ray]
Ender's Game [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Asa Butterfield
Price: 7.20

1.0 out of 5 stars It is rated 12 and..., 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Ender's Game [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
you would either need to be 12, or to have the mind of a 12 year old, to get past the first half an hour, let alone all of it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 25, 2014 3:06 PM GMT

Cribbage: How To Play And Win
Cribbage: How To Play And Win
by Dr Frank Buttler
Price: 10.27

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly the book I was looking for..., 3 Mar 2014
and, hitherto, had failed to find. I had hoped that there was more to cribbage strategy than had met my eye, and this book showed me that indeed there was. It quickly gives an overview of the right approach to take to the 2-handed six card game and immediately made me revise some of my thinking; and then goes into some very detailed analysis. It requires careful study but will, I suspect, repay the time invested. Okay it also deals with other variants like the 5 card and 3/4 player game, which don't interest me, but there is plenty in it that was right up my street.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3