Profile for Callie Carling > Reviews

Content by Callie Carling

Callie Carling "~ I believe in YOU!" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Better Buckle Up
Better Buckle Up
Price: 2.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful short read to inspire young children to want to buckle up!, 22 May 2016
This review is from: Better Buckle Up (Kindle Edition)
An adorable short picture-book, which shows Mummy and Ollie taking part in daredevil adventures - and where, as a big boy, he will always need to 'buckle up'!

The colourful illustrations are delightful and add a level of humour for the parent to enjoy, while reading the story with their young family.

This picture-book is not only a fun read but will undoubtedly help to inspire all those young children - who are resistant to safe travel in their car-seats - to look to their childhood heroes and 'buckle up', as they do.

Worms On Parachutes: Mystical Allies In My Cancer Survival
Worms On Parachutes: Mystical Allies In My Cancer Survival
by Sarah-Jane Phillips
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, sad, funny and very real - "We have a lot to teach those who take life for granted”, 16 July 2015
The sheer volume of books written by people sharing their personal stories of dealing with a cancer diagnosis and treatment, is testament to the fact that an increasing number of cancer patients make it through treatment and out the other side - which is a huge achievement, in itself. ‘Worms On Parachutes’ is one of those books, written by Sarah-Jane Phillips, a newly-published author. Yet that is where the comparison has to end, because Phillips has penned an unusual book indeed.

The write-up on Amazon begins "This is not just another cancer survival story. It's a story about life and what's important in life. It's a story about the path that life can sometimes take us down and it's about choices.” What I was totally unprepared for, having read the Amazon write-up, was the shocking honesty that Phillips would share through Worms on Parachutes’ pages, and how much it would affect me - a fellow Triple Negative young breast cancer survivor.

A raw, gritty, sometimes-hilarious yet many-times-sad, thought-provoking book about her unusual mystical allies (the worms on parachutes) in surviving not one, but two forms of cancer, Phillips sets the scene by revealing she was always accident-prone, visiting hospital many times for various childhood bumps, knocks and breaks. Quickly skimming through an adventurous childhood overseas, her description of receiving a Hodgkins Lymphoma diagnosis as a young teenager - and subsequent treatment - gives readers the idea that this is one determined girl, although you get the feeling that time has dulled the pain of this particular period in her life. Quite rightly so, as she goes on to make a full recovery, meets the love of her life and goes on to have two girls.

Then the real story begins. Of how the mantle radiotherapy to treat Hodgkins Lymphoma has left her susceptible to cancer. Of noticing a pattern on her breast, of feeling a tiny pea-size lump, of the hospital tests … as I read page 55 on the bus, going towards my yearly mammogram, I started to sob. I had known for certain that my lump was cancerous when MY kindly radiographer had said goodbye, with a touch of unexpected gentleness and care. This book suddenly got personal.

Phillip’s treatment, complications and magnificent determination to get super-fit, to give her body a fighting chance to beat a notoriously aggressive form of breast cancer, had me crying, chuckling, snorting and cheering in equal measure. The tender care, the communication inefficiencies, the clunky bedside manner of particular oncologists, the loving care of her husband, her family and little girls; all rang loud and true. The reverence and affection Phillips’ feels for her surgeon; many breast cancer patients will recognise this! Her heroic efforts, supported by her friends and family, in order to raise money for Breakthrough Breast Cancer, were truly inspirational, as was her zest for running and ultra-healthy eating habits.

I applaud Phillip’s bravery in writing such a deeply personal story, very much written in the “I” sense. It is because of her writing style that I say it's an unusual book, very different from the celebrity/raw food/spiritual books available nowadays that talk about cancer. Although I did struggle at times with the flow of the narrative, I really wanted to keep reading. This book is an unedited ‘rough diamond' publication and although I am a stickler for punctuation, grammar, and decent proofreading, in no way did it detract me from wanting to see the book through to the end. Most likely because I knew Phillips had self-published; had it been published through mainstream publishing, I would have given up on it about halfway through! I would be intrigued to see how this book could be rewritten a few years down the line, when her girls are older and she’s got a few more years of ‘Triple Negative’ surthriverhood under her belt; for time really is a great healer, and with it brings a welcome sense of disconnection from the fear we all feel going through treatment and for a few years after.

A really lovely book and one which I would (despite the minor editing and proofreading issues) wholeheartedly recommend to people who, in particular, have been supporters, friends and carers of those with breast cancer. It will offer you a real insight into our minds, hearts and souls. The book cover is adorable, painted by one of her daughters!

“For some of us, ordinary living suddenly takes extraordinary nerve. But it’s amazing how many of us have it when faced with adversity. We’ve paid up front. It’s time to live positively. We have a lot to teach those who take life for granted” - Sarah-Jane Phillips.

Now, off I go to start training in earnest for the Prudential London Bike Ride (2016? who knows!) ...

Disclaimer: I received a paperback copy of the book by the author to read, and provide an unbiased review if appropriate.

Enpee Slow Juicer That Extracts the Most Juice and Less Pulp, Red
Enpee Slow Juicer That Extracts the Most Juice and Less Pulp, Red
Offered by Enpee Enterprises Ltd
Price: 119.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Juicylicious!, 16 April 2015
This is my second juicer and although I've only had it a few days, I'm in love with it.

A bit of background to my juicing experiences: a few years ago I had a very expensive, noisy centrifugal juicer which was super-efficient but sounded like Concorde coming into land and was difficult to clean. After chemotherapy, I'd had enough of juices and so (unwisely) sold it for a very small sum. Three years on, we picked up a brand-new NutriBullet which blew up within 1 second of switching it on (!), so then invested in a Duronic blender. Very efficient and powerful but I got tired of standing with a metal sieve after each blend, trying to get the roughage/lumps out! I prefer smooth juices, and when you are juicing 3x a day, you want something quick and easy to do all the work for you.

So after much deliberation and spending hours pouring over reviews, I bought an Enpee juicer (a red one, just like in this photo). At the same time, I ordered a separate fine strainer, 'tho the machine already comes with a fine strainer and another strainer which is perfect if you prefer a more fibrous juice. I was looking for a juicer that could handle carrots, kale, beetroot, etc. with ease, but would also make nut milk.

I am delighted to say that it performs beautifully and also looks very stylish in my kitchen, 'tho it's a little too tall to fit under my kitchen cabinet fully-assembled. Very efficient, leaving the "mush" of fruit and vegetables dry, and easy to dispose of. Very quiet for a juicer, it feels robust and is easy to take apart and clean. I have yet to try the nut milk making properties but for the first few days of use, it certainly scores 5 stars.

The company are also very helpful; they responded to my email enquiry quickly. The Enpee Juicer also arrived with a tofu-making set (free of charge, a gift from Enpee) but I'm not sure if every order will arrive with this.

So far, so good - I'm looking forward to a juicylicious Summer!

Mens ribbed knee high 100% cotton socks (Pack of 3) (6-11) (Black)
Mens ribbed knee high 100% cotton socks (Pack of 3) (6-11) (Black)
Offered by carmen fucia
Price: 3.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Holey socks within 2 wears!, 10 Dec. 2014
Great fit, super-swift delivery - sadly two pairs of the socks developed holes in the heels within 2 days of wearing (each pair) so had to see return/refund :(

Beat Cancer: How to Regain Control of Your Health and Your Life
Beat Cancer: How to Regain Control of Your Health and Your Life
by Jane Plant CBE
Price: 13.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Step 3 should be printed out and given to EVERY cancer patient as soon as they are diagnosed!, 1 Dec. 2014
Prof. Mustafa Djamgoz and Prof. Jane Plant

'Beat Cancer : The 10-step plan to help you overcome and prevent cancer' is a book which should be required reading for everyone, as we aspire towards a more preventative model of healthcare

This book is very useful for those who are going through treatment or have finished treatment, although I would personally recommend it as a must-have resource at the point of diagnosis (preferably BEFORE you get test results back, so you can enter into discussions with surgeons and oncologists better-informed).

The authors - Prof. Mustafa Djamgoz and Prof. Jane Plant - have presented the book in a highly-logical, well-presented manner. The easy Steps offer a natural reading-route for those who have need of instant-information at a specific stage of their (or their family/friends) treatment.

 Considering the subject matter, this book is extremely well-written and easy to understand. The Appendix has clearly been laid out with much thought, too. It is easy to see that at least one of the writers has had personal experience of the cancer journey, purely because of the clarity of layout - when going through treatment, you need to have things laid out clearly, succinctly. Your brain just cannot cope with anything that is NOT clear and concise!

The book cover looks friendly yet clinical, with an uncluttered look and ‘friendly’ typeface. My one (very personal) dislike is the use of the dark pink colour as a focus colour; although it serves the grey font very well, I feel it could potentially be off-putting to a population that links pink to breast cancer awareness. Especially as one of the writers is so well-known for her writings specifically to do with diet and breast cancer. Potential readers may not realise that it is a book that applies to EVERY type of cancer, irrespective of age.

The layout of the book is clear and well-structured, enhanced by the typeface/font used. There is limited use of diagrams, and what is included is very clear and easy to understand. The appendix is very well laid-out in tabular format, too. All in all, Beat Cancer is a highly readable, user-friendly book about an emotionally-difficult and scientifically-complex subject.

What I really liked about this book was the 10-step way to self-empowerment at a time when cancer patients (and friends, carers, loved ones, etc.) can easily be overwhelmed by medical terminology. The book is extremely well-written, giving a healthy blend of science and medical together with the aspects of good health whilst dealing with cancer (or living with cancer, or post-cancer and in remission), which are often left unsaid by the medical profession. e.g. diet, complementary therapies. It also gives people an underlying (basic) knowledge of orthodox (clinical) medical treatments and why these may be offered. It is so easy to feel disempowered during treatment, and Beat Cancer really helps to give you a bit of the ‘insider knowledge’ so you can work together with your medical team to make fully informed decisions.

If ONLY they could print out just Step 3 when you are handed a diagnosis, it would be such an empowering tool at a time when you feel so very small and inconsequential, a mere body attached a terrifying monster that goes by the broad term of 'Cancer'!

I felt a little disappointed (even cheated, to be honest) by the fact that Step 10 is so lightweight. For such a hugely-important part of the cancer journey (moving on from treatment), I felt 7 pages was far too short. Part of the reason we endure such radical treatments is to try to beat cancer, enabling us to life a full life. Too often, survivors are left bereft of any real support, or guidance as to where to turn to, and I feel that this should have been addressed a little more in Step 10.

There are just NOT enough resources to help the huge numbers of survivors to move forward in life, physically, mentally and emotionally.

I am only giving Beat Cancer 4 stars because of the skirting-around-very-important issues in Step 10. Sadly, I feel this is atypical of a clinician’s writings; it would have been wonderful to have had some input from a psychologist, such as Dr Cordelia Galgut, to give a truly balanced ending to a very interesting, informative and helpful book.

Disclaimer: I received a paperback copy of Beat Cancer to review for Macmillan.

Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life
by Jeff Walker

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs a powerful punch for project launches!, 23 Oct. 2014
Fantastic book!! If only I'd read this before I'd launched previous businesses!

Packed full with gems and ideas on exactly HOW to prepare your business (or projects) for launch - packs a powerful punch.

The Fortune Cookie Principle : The 20 Keys to a Great Brand Story and Why Your Business Needs One.
Price: 2.09

5.0 out of 5 stars I love how Jiwa writes, 23 Oct. 2014
I love how Jiwa writes, and this is a thought-provoking read, one I keep coming back to, time and time again! Highly recommended.

The LinkedIn Code: Unlock The Largest Online Business Social Network To Get Leads, Prospects & Clients for B2B, Professional Services and Sales & Marketing Pros
Price: 6.23

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 23 Oct. 2014
Disappointing book - poorly written & edited, so much so that I really struggled to wade my way through the thin content. Personally, I feel this is more of a 'vanity' book.

The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness
The Slight Edge: Turning Simple Disciplines into Massive Success and Happiness
Price: 4.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for EVERYONE!, 23 Oct. 2014
Fantastic book - I highly recommend this to everyone, irrespective of what you do for a living!

CPO 1M White HDMI Cable, V1.4 3DTV Compatible, Genuine CPO Branded Product
CPO 1M White HDMI Cable, V1.4 3DTV Compatible, Genuine CPO Branded Product
Offered by The LACH Group
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job at a fraction of the price, 23 Oct. 2014
Swift despatch, does the job - what more do you need?!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4