Profile for Katharine Kirby > Reviews

Content by Katharine Kirby
Top Reviewer Ranking: 157

Katharine Kirby "Kate" (HELSTON, Cornwall United Kingdom)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
iPhone 6S Plus Waterproof Case, Comeproof Waterproof iPhone 6S Case Cover, Touch-ID IP68 Snow Dust and Ditrt Proof, Military Shock Proof Slim Waterproof Case for iPhone 6S / 6 Plus, 5.5in, Black
Offered by ComeproofDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Watertight and practical, 5 Feb. 2016
I was very pleased with this waterproof case for my iPhone 6s Plus. The case comes smartly packaged, with a headphone extender, a warning card reminding you to install the case properly, and the full instructions themselves.

Installing this case takes a little time, as you are sensibly asked to conduct a waterproofing test before entrusting your phone to this protection system. The water test takes about 40 minutes, but this is a small price to pay if you are genuinely looking for a full waterproof case to protect your valuable iPhone.

Following the recommended checks on the outer ring and the waterproofing, it’s time to install the case itself, and the instructions for this section are well laid out and easy to understand. The case is made from plastic and is smartly designed, with, obviously, the waterproofing capability the highest design priority. It doesn’t add much weight to the phone, which is important because the iPhone 6s Plus is large enough already.

I had no problem using the phone with the case fitted, including TouchID. There is a slight reduction in call sound quality, but nothing significant. While I could not commit to testing the phone in water at the maximum depth, I did get the case wet, and also dropped the phone in the case accidentally from waist height to the floor, and the phone came through both of these tests unscathed. The headphone extender is easy to install for times when you want to trade absolute waterproof security in order to listen to music or make calls through headphones.

Overall, I am happy to give this case a high recommendation. It does what it promises and rewards the time you put in testing and setting up the case. I am pleased to have been sent this item for a fair review.

A Year of Marvellous Ways
A Year of Marvellous Ways
by Sarah Winman

4.0 out of 5 stars Up the creek - with a paddle, 4 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Difficult to get hold of, this slippery story appears to be all over the place. I continued for two reasons; I am a vine programme reviewer with a conscience, and I, too, live on a creek in Cornwall, so I expected to feel at home, as I luckily came to be. The setting is intriguing, it could be on the Roseland, but because Marvellous refers to seeing shipwrecked sailors frozen to the rigging after the Great Blizzard of 1891, I think she could be nearer my home, the Helford, as that wreck was on the Nare, Falmouth Bay...

The nature descriptions are great, dreamy, poetic, meandering and magical. The initial dialogue is dreary, I could hardly bear to read the clunky pages of flat chat between 'Missy' and 'Freddie' during their post war catch up. Although the sadness and waste that followed was gut wrenching. 'Marvellous', who irritatingly sounds like a gospel singer from her name, we meet as an elderly lady, hangs about a deserted village, lives in a caravan by a flood isolated church and a boathouse. She thinks about the past, but has faith that something is coming. She swims in the creek, which endeared her to me, but other than that, initially anyway, she was disappointingly dull. Freddie is actually properly known as Francis Drake, now a man with a mission to pass on a letter entrusted to him by a dying man. I couldn't wait for him to get to Cornwall to get on with it. Happily for him, his haphazard arrival washes him up into the grasp of Marvellous, who saves his life, and Scheherazade-like tells him tales of her mermaid mother and events around the place. I admit it all got much better around page 100+ but if I weren't reviewing it I wouldn't have ever got that far and there's the rub. Readers who are more patient than I are mad about this book but for me the first quarter is unnecessarily trying.

Sorry Sarah Winman, this ought to have been 5*, but it isn't, because you don't try hard enough to make friends with your reader in the first quarter. Give us a break. There's no need to be completely whacky in your titling and narration, most might need a chance to get to grips with what you are on about next time please. The cover is lovely, by the way!

Arms Wide Open
Arms Wide Open
by Tom Winter

3.0 out of 5 stars Smoothed out and in time order, this would be more readable, 2 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Arms Wide Open (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having just read this all through in one go I feel as if my brain has turned to scrambled eggs. It’s not that I don’t like most of the people in the story, I do, but I curse the day modern authors caught on to the trend of turning a perfectly good book into mincemeat by randomly chopping up a natural time scale. This turns the story into a patchwork of chapters looping drunkenly about from 40, 15, 10 odd years ago to the present day and back again, jumping between the decades. Already jerky, as several different family members, in rotation, voice this book, so the spinning qualities of the varied narrations and the chapters from the past are dizzying. Much in the mood of Elizabeth is Missing, this tale deals with dementia, a genetic variety, already in charge of the grandmother, and maybe creeping up on her children.

Meredith is wallowing in misery since her academic husband drifted off to set up home with another woman, Charlotte. Meredith takes up gardening with a vengeance, hoping for wonderful displays to come. She even fills her house with greenery. Daughter Jemima is up to no good on her computer, encouraging bad types on with misleading photos, rude demands for humiliatingly posed pics, all the while telling lies about herself. Poor bullied little brother Luke has weird collections, a miserable time being picked on by boys at school while worrying about his family. Into all this sails Meredith’s twin brother Jack who has enormous problems of his own.

All this makes for an involving family drama; not laugh out loud stuff but gentle, wry humour that is enjoyable to read. The most loveable character is Reggie from next door… but he is on four legs!

The Death of an Owl
The Death of an Owl
by Paul Torday

4.0 out of 5 stars The best laid plans of mice and men, 1 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Death of an Owl (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With more than a touch of Brideshead and a big nod towards The Birds, this is typical Torday, quirky, lateral thinking and slightly bonkers. Good writing seems effortless, a mere conversation between friends, the gentle irony and self effacement flows. For a loyal reader of his previous books it can't help but be fun to try and spot the join where Piers takes over. It 'clicked' for me, when the narrative moved on but I may well be wrong.

Charles Fryerne is heir to a tinpot title, with nothing behind it. It gives him that something extra, a sense of history and importance, His family ties are pulling, and as always Paul Torday observes and remarks on the English awkwardness covering the love we feel, with an tender touch. So many paragraphs I wanted to mark and return to, although that ran out a bit towards the end. Such homely wisdom just can't be replicated. Revealing the layers of Charles' almost autistic psyche is surprising to us, and him. Truths are blurted out, and gradually we realise we are dealing with a more formed and forceful chap than first impressions might have suggested. His glancing college relationship with the debonair and dastardly Andrew Langford becomes horrendously complex as Andrew drives relentlessly towards his goal of becoming PM. An owl interrupts this so far seamless journey and everything goes awry. Loyal servants may not be so trustworthy, friends have agendas, wives have their own ideas; who will take the flak, tidy up the fall out? As with Charles Ryder in Brideshead, Charles Fryerne is asked to square the circle.

Good for Piers to tidy this last manuscript up and offer it as a final treat for Torday enthusiasts. I greatly enjoyed the setting around Newcastle and Hadrian's Wall, knowing the area well. He has done his father proud. A 'chip' off the old block!

Letouch® L'amour 5ft/150cm MFI Lightning to Colorful USB Cable (White)
Letouch® L'amour 5ft/150cm MFI Lightning to Colorful USB Cable (White)
Offered by Dtech-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful cable collects compliments, 31 Jan. 2016
At last attention is being turned to accessories, and what a lovely idea to use colour. This turquoise, flat, lightning to USB cable is fun, cheerful and well made. The connectors are sound and expensive looking. The style and look show quality in their manufacture.

I use it for my i pad. Because it is flat and heavy-ish it lies neatly down to the plug or hub. I love the way it is pictured looking like linguine on the fork!

Thank you Letouch L'amour for kindly sending me this sample to review.
Comment Comment | Permalink

**ILLUMINI** Stunning new design! Super lightweight LED desk lamp/reading lamp/table lamp. Sleek, modern design desk light with touch control.
Offered by Goodlife products

5.0 out of 5 stars A new member of the team at work, 30 Jan. 2016
Just like the products it complements, this stylish lamp 'works straight out of the box' - no instructions needed, just plug it in and go. The elegant swan's neck shape echoes the curves on the imac base and stand. The brushed grey aluminum look is also a partner to the imac.

I am very grateful as my office has always been rather under lit and my eyesight is deteriorating as I age, plus it's winter and days are dark... It also makes a most excellent reading light.

The brightest setting will show everything as clear as day, the lower ones are easier on the eye. The design is stunning, the simple shape and graceful curve perfectly matched to today's desk kit. It's easy to move around, you can even bend it, apparently.

Less is more here, it is the result that impresses. Useful in so many ways, for craft work, reading smaller print, illuminating the keyboard and generally helping to make everything easier. I was jolly glad to be given the opportunity to test this for review and will have it on most of the time now!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Coolrideplates® Personalised Children's Bedroom Door Plaque Sign featuring ocean theme
Offered by Coolrideplates

5.0 out of 5 stars Turtle, Crab, Scallop and Starfish will guard the door, 30 Jan. 2016
Keen on the Octonauts, the ocean and well versed in undersea creatures, this was a great choice for our elder grandson's door. I like the retro font and colourful design. The face of the sign is wipe-able, the back plate is hardboard with a bevelled front frame edge. A child would soon recognise their own name on the sign.

Six and a quarter inches by four and a quarter inches, this sign is about the size of a bigger smartphone. You can attach it with tacks, there are two holes drilled already, or less invasively, you can use the sticky back pad supplied, together with a decorative ribbon, we passed on that as it was for a boy.

Thank you Coolrideplates for kindly supplying us with this sample to review. it was very well received.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Coolrideplates® Personalised Children's Bedroom Door Plaque Sign featuring train theme
Offered by Coolrideplates

5.0 out of 5 stars Choo, choo, this is for you, 30 Jan. 2016
Understated, smart, colourful, and rather retro, this design with an American style train engine and carriages was just right for our grandson's door. The font is attractive and clear for a child to recognise their own name.

The plate is quite small, about the size of a big smartphone, six and a quarter inches by four and a quarter inches. Your can attach it with tacks, there are two drilled holes, but easier and less invasive, there is a sticky back pad supplied together with a ribbon decoration which we will pass on, this being a boy's bedroom sign. Made of hardboard, the front frame edges bevelled; the plastic sign face is wipe-able and shiny.

Thank you CoolRidePlates for kindly creating this sample for me to review. It was very well received.
Comment Comment | Permalink

SZTARA Vivid Owl Sheer Silk Chiffon Soft Wrap Scarf Long Shawl For Women Girl Lady
Offered by mtarashop

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, appealing, a wonderfully wearable accessory, 29 Jan. 2016
Wow! I am absolutely IN LOVE with this fab scarf. The Owl design is fun and pretty, also goes well with loads of different outfits - the tones of Teal, Terracotta, Turquoise, Scarlet, with dots and stars, rich browns, gold and grey are all my very favourite colours.

Best of all it is toasty snug! Cosy, soft and comfortable, no slipping or sliding, this stays where you want it, in just the way you have twisted, knotted, looped it through. The discreet label says 100% Viscose, Made in Heaven no sorry China, wash at 30 degrees, you can even lightly iron it, this scarf is made to last.

I would love to buy a dozen as gifts, the price is so reasonable and still the quality is top drawer. Wearing it I feel stylish, smart, well dressed and warm...

Thank you so much Sztara for sending me this totally gorgeous wrap, scarf, as a sample for review, I couldn't be more pleased and will be buying more for gifts, some for myself!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2016 9:31 AM GMT

Premium Silicone Egg Cooker Ring / Pancake Rings. Non Stick Round Cooking Mold by YumYum Utensils
Offered by YumYum Home & Garden

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the instructions and enjoy the results, 29 Jan. 2016
I have spent a while playing with these in my kitchen, using the American pancake recipe. Please profit from my carelessness, impulsiveness and read the following:

The rings must sit tight, no wonkiness, they must be flat on the griddle, fry pan, only use the number of rings that can achieve this levelness, with the ridged lip at the top (the little arm standing up). Otherwise the mix will run out underneath, and the mould won't slip off easily, Believe me, I have done this! My chickens are currently happily pecking away at a mound of mistakes...

Don't fill the mould beyond 1/3 or the mix will take so long to cook that the base of the pancake whatever will be burned and tough. I did this as I am an over generous ladler.

Only remove the mould from the pancake when the top shows bubbles and the pancake is firm. Or the mix will overflow from the top and create a mess.

Otherwise well they are great! Once you get to know them they will behave perfectly, create light brown perfectly brown, cooked through pancakes, eggs etc.

So please do as I say, not as I did, and glance through the wonderful, inspirational array of recipes and enjoy the tidy results you will surely achieve. Thanks Yum Yum for giving the chance to try out the set as a sample for review. When I get my pancakes egg-sackly right I will post more photos!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20