Profile for Fiona > Reviews

Fiona "Salsafan" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspector Montalbano, 19 Mar 2012
There's a lot to like about this show (currently showing in the UK on BBC 4): the locations and the main characters are utterly charming (not to mention well fit in the case of Inspector Montelbano). Unfortunately, some of the episodes are in need of ruthless editing so that you don't have to devote an entire evening to watching one episode. By the time they tell you who dunnit, you can't even remember what they dun but you've enjoyed the journey!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2013 4:21 PM GMT

Chef's Special [DVD] [2008]
Chef's Special [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Javier Cámara

4.0 out of 5 stars very funny but not family viewing, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Chef's Special [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Really really funny Spanish farce. If you like Almodovar, you'll probably like this but it's got some very rude jokes in it so don't watch it with your mum unless she's VERY open minded, or drunk.

Not really a gay film, just that the main character is gay.

Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Horribly, Hilariously Wrong
Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Horribly, Hilariously Wrong
by Jen Yates

5.0 out of 5 stars cakes to make you smile, 25 Jan 2012
My brother and I read this in Waterstones in London when we had to some to waste before going to a West End show so I was all dressed up. I laughed so hard at this book that my mascara ran all over my face. We were falling about laughing.
That was years ago, and I still think about 'Congratulations, I want sprinkles'.

The Good Night [DVD]
The Good Night [DVD]
Dvd ~ Penelope Cruz
Offered by Jasuli

1.0 out of 5 stars Manages to be both dull and toe-curlingly embarrassing to watch, 9 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Good Night [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this at the cinema and I remember that I love the cast but didn't enjoy the film. Old Gwinnie is masterly as a nagging, whiney old cow.

Simply Ballroom [DVD]
Simply Ballroom [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anton Du Beke

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, old fashioned class, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Simply Ballroom [DVD] (DVD)
Anton and Erin. Cheesier than a cheese party in a cheese factory in Cheddar. If you like old fashioned tunes and you don't mind the odd mediochre celebrity performance from guest 'stars' then you'll love this. Not if you're lactose intolerant though.

Spelbound - Live and Exclusive [DVD]
Spelbound - Live and Exclusive [DVD]
Dvd ~ Spelbound
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 17 Oct 2011
This has got loads of really good routines in this DVD so it's good value for money and there are also interviews with the members and you see them training. You couldn't ask for more.

Flawless: Live Street Dance - Access All Areas [DVD]
Flawless: Live Street Dance - Access All Areas [DVD]
Offered by FLASH

3.0 out of 5 stars Dancing's Flawless, 17 Oct 2011
This is a great way of enjoying UK street dancing at its highest level. The guys do quite a few routines from the live shows and also do some bits on their own to show their individual skill. They show you behind the scenes on tour, which I enjoyed but I would rather that they showed a bit more dancing. When they explain that they spend every waking minute rehearsing, you can understand why they only have a certain amount of material. Better to have perfection than an hour and a half of mediocrity. The routines show that they've put a lot of thought into developing a story and character for the dances, which adds another layer of interest. Overall, very enjoyable and inspiring but not like a night at the theatre.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 24, 2011 11:03 PM BST

The Snow Geese
The Snow Geese
by William Fiennes

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving but a bit dull, 7 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Snow Geese (Paperback)
This is a gentle, quiet book. I've got to admit that a lot of the passages take patience to read if you're not into the poetic, lyrical style of writing chosen by the author. I have learned a lot about the biology of birds and migration but I found the book as a whole a bit hard work.
The author describes his journey and slots in paragraphs about how scientists have studied bird migration by conducting controlled experiments such as shutting out windows so they can't see the sun and seeing if they tried to move in the direction that birds would in the wild.
There's a huge amount of self indulgent, superfluous detail; both about the journey and biology; but I suppose it is quite well written. I'd suggest borrowing a copy to see if you like the writing style before buying it. YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT JUST BECAUSE IT'S BEEN ON RADIO 4. (ha ha).

The Urban Birder
The Urban Birder
by David Lindo

4.0 out of 5 stars The Urban Birder, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Urban Birder (Hardcover)
This is a nice read. I liked his positive attitude to life as well as to birding. It's just the right size and style of book to take on a train or on holiday. I didn't give it 5 stars is it's a little bit repetitive and I've been spoiled by While Flocks Last (I'd give that 6 out of 5.)

I found it handy to read a few pages of the book on Amazon to get a feel for the writing. David shares his childhood experiences of sneaking away from London without his mum's permission and then explains that as he got older he wanted to find his own patch, whether in London or abroad whist filming TV adverts, such as the famous Guiness advert.

I would have liked a few more pictures, especially of the non-European species because I would have liked to see what the birds he was talking about looked like.

As an aside, it was interesting to read his experiences as a black bird watcher in countries such as South Africa during the apartheid era.

Priceless [DVD] (2006)
Priceless [DVD] (2006)
Dvd ~ Audrey Tautou

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feel Great Movie, 12 Sep 2011
This review is from: Priceless [DVD] (2006) (DVD)
We were feeling really low afternoon and we watched this and it really cheered us up.

Fun story, well paced, great acting. Clever editing.

If you like this, you'll love Heartbreaker.Heartbreaker (L'arnacoeur) [DVD] (2010)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6