Profile for Fiona > Reviews

Jack Reacher [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Romp, 28 May 2013
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
Look. Don't analyse this too much. Get yourself a takeaway and put your comfy trousers on. The ones with the elasticated waist. Or better still a onesy. Now, enjoy the action. I told you not to analyse it. Why did you do that? I know, I know. Why would anybody coming face to face with their enemy who wants to kill them just throw their weapon away in favour of a good old manly, rugged scrap? I think we know the answer. He wants us to forget him jumping up and down on Oprah's sofa, doesn't he? There's a great scene where he gets his top of and believe me, you won't be picturing him shouting 'I am in love with Katie Holmes' at that point. Anyway, back to the film. It has a silly story whereby he is the best police soldier who has ever lived and has awards coming out of his ears but he chooses to live in the shadows until a man he promised to come and find if he ever committed an evil act puts out a call asking for his help.....(tense music)....

Jonathan Creek - The Clue of the Savant's Thumb [DVD]
Jonathan Creek - The Clue of the Savant's Thumb [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Davies
Offered by best_value_entertainment

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slightly Disappointing Pot Boiler, 3 May 2013
It's nice to see Jonathan Creek back on our screens. Strange, isn't it. If someone asked you to describe your ideal man, most ladies wouldn't say 'I like a bumbling, antisocial, borderline autistic wierdo with shaggy hair and a duffle coat'....but there's just something about him, isn't there!

In this episode, he is a high-flying executive who's moved out of his beloved windmill and working for his horrible, middle-class, yuppie wife (the pretty one from Smack the Pony.) His blond side kick (Sheridan somebody) comes across some kind of mystery in and old school, you know, the usual and he just has to help her because she's only a woman. The story line just isn't as enjoyable as the other ones but it's still watchable.

It's worth watching this for the scene when he reaches into the back the wardrobe to get the duffle coat out (yey!)

Man on a Ledge [DVD]
Man on a Ledge [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sam Worthington
Offered by SweetBuzzards

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Watch, 8 April 2013
This review is from: Man on a Ledge [DVD] (DVD)
We watched this on a Saturday night, at home with the family and a a few snacks. We all really enjoyed it! None of us saw the twist coming and the film held our attention throughout. The whole point of the film is WHY he's on the ledge and why he will only deal with one negotiator.

It's well made and well acted most of the time. Having Billie Elliot in it was a bit distracting though but he was really good too. His girlfriend's push-up bra was also shall we say, a feature. I know when I've got some acrobatics to do, I need one. Ed Harris is fantastic as the villain, despite a truly awful wig.

Safe [DVD]
Safe [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Statham

4.0 out of 5 stars Standard Statham, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Safe [DVD] (DVD)
He's protecting people in a hunky way. There's enough to keep you entertained with action bits and, well, Jason Statham but it's not exactly a classic.

Pilgrim Women's Stud Earring Silver Plated, Purple 646603
Pilgrim Women's Stud Earring Silver Plated, Purple 646603

5.0 out of 5 stars BLING TASTIC, 1 Feb. 2013
These are just the same as the picture, but a bit smaller. They are really sparkly and they arrived in perfect condition. I don't think they'll last a lifetime but then for the price I think they're really nice.

Pilgrim Women's Stud Earring Silver Plated, Orange 646803
Pilgrim Women's Stud Earring Silver Plated, Orange 646803

3.0 out of 5 stars Different colour to the picture, 1 Feb. 2013
These earrings look very similar to the picture but the colour of orange is very different in real life. It's a lot paler. I purchased some similar earrings in purple and the colour was much closer to the photo.

Faceless Killers: Kurt Wallander
Faceless Killers: Kurt Wallander
by Henning Mankell

4.0 out of 5 stars Chilly and chilling, 4 July 2012
The despcription of the violence and it's after effects are really quite detailed and even though I thought that hours of American and Scandinavian murder mysteries on TV had desensitised me, I still found parts of this book quite shocking. That's testimony to the power of the writing because the story really draws you in. I don't want to spoil the story by describing it. As another review said, it's a familiar story in an unfamiliar landscape. If I could sum this book up, it's bleak but once you get into Scandinavian crime books and TV series, that's not a negative thing. The Scandinavians do bleak really really well and I for one love it!

Headhunters
Headhunters
by Jo Nesbo

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Headhunters (Paperback)
I bought this as a holiday book and I'd finished it before I even got to the airport! I couldn't resist it once I'd had a peek at the first few pages. There were plenty of twists and turns in this. The writing style is very simple, making it easy and enjoyable to read, not unlike the Da Vinci Code. A real page turner. I liked the characters and the bits of art thrown in and the idea that he's not a likeable hero. Ok, the plot is really silly but WHO CARES? It's a story.

My Kitchen Table: 100 Vegetarian Feasts
My Kitchen Table: 100 Vegetarian Feasts
by Sophie Grigson

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Yummy, 2 May 2012
I bought this recently and was pleased with the look and feel and size of the book. It's easy to find room for. Nice to flick through for inspiration. I keep looking at it whilst I'm watching tele.
It's easy to follow and I made the mushrooms with dill and lemon with mascarpone at weekend. We had it with a baked potato. It was really yummy.

The Seasoned Vegetarian
The Seasoned Vegetarian
by Simon Rimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars massive hits and misses, 1 May 2012
I made the dill and basil omlette with red peppers again for tea last night and although fattening, it's GORGEOUS!!!!! You add grated cheese to cream and eggs, add the herbs and season. Meanwhile, you bake red peppers in the oven painted with olive oil until the skin is charred to make it easier to remove. When everything is ready you cut the omlette and the peppers into triangles and pile them up to serve.
This must be a popular meal because I notice Simon put in in a magazine this month.

The misses by the way include a soup that was VILE I think it was bean and sherry vinegar with olive oil. It was so gross we had to throw it away.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6