Profile for William Britton > Reviews

Content by William Britton

William Britton (San Gabriel, Ca. USA)

Canción de Orfeo (Remastered)
Canción de Orfeo (Remastered)

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT REMASTERING OF THE SOUNDTRACK TO ORFEO NEGRO, 8 Dec. 2013
This soundtrack of MP3's that have been remastered SOUND WONDERFUL! I AM IN THE USA SO I CAN'T BUY THESE THERE.

AND IT IS NOT AVAILABLE ON AMAZON.COM (USA) TO MY DISAPPOINTMENT.

BUT I ENCOURAGE THOSE WHO HAS SEEN THE FILM "ORFEO NEGRO" OR HEARD BITS AND PIECES OF THE SONGS FROM THE FILM OVER THE LAST 60 PLUS YEARS -- TO TRY OUT THESE VERY CLEAN REMASTERED VERSIONS OF THE SOUNDTRACK. THEY REALLY BRING THE FILM BACK TO LIFE!

REGRETFULLY I CAN NOT LOCATE IT ANYWHERE BUT HERE, AND SINCE I AM NOT IN THE UK, I CAN NOT BUY THEM AND DOWNLOAD -- BUT YOU LUCKY PEOPLE CAN!

Desafinado
Desafinado
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Prince of Bossa Nova's Early Songs, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Desafinado (Audio CD)
To start with I want to comment that the music on this CD is all by Mr. Joao Gilberto -- aknowledged as the creator of Bossa Nova. Not in dispute. BUT THE DRAWING OF A MAN WITH A GUITAR ON THE CD CASE IS --- NOT JOAO GILBERTO.

BUT IS A DRAWING OF A "YOUNG" ANTONIO CARLOS JOBIM. NOW HE IS A WONDERFUL PERSON, MUSICIAN, COMPOSER AND FAIR GUITAR PLAYER. WHY THE "POWERS THAT BE" COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO GREATS?? NO ONE KNOWS.

BUT YOU NOW KNOW. I STILL RECOMMEND BUYING THIS CD IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THESE SONGS ALREADY. MANY OF THEM ARE IMMORTAL. PLEASE NOTE THAT CUT #7 IS NOT SERGIO MENDES -- BUT JOAO GILBERTO AND THE SONG IS "DORALICE" NOT "DORA (SPACE) LICE.

PS. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG "WITH SOME OF THE ARRANGEMENTS" AS THE PRIOR REVIEWER STATED. THEY WERE DONE BY MR. JOBIM HIMSELF OR WALTER WANDERLY, THE ORGANIST AND A TALENTED MUSICIAN IN HIS OWN RIGHT.

JOAO GILBERTO IS A ONE OF A KIND, AND BELONGS IN THE PANTHEON OF MUSICAL GREATS ALONG WITH BILLIE HOLLIDAY, FRED ASTAIRE AND A FEW OTHERS. HE STILL LIVES, BUT RUMOR HAS IT THAT HIS HEALTH IS NOT GOOD.

Dvd ~ Hideko Takamine

5.0 out of 5 stars NARUSE, Mikio MASTER CINEMA DIRECTOR, 31 Jan. 2013
Mikio Naruse Collection [1955] [DVD]
From my American point of view Naruse is definitely what is called a "one-of-a-kind" film maker.
You can distinguish his films in a moment from any other Japanese film maker. He has a pessimistic understanding of life, but portrays it in an incisive "close to the bone" manner.

I live in California, near several large Universities -- and so was able to see a "retrospective" of Naruse's most important films -- but that was almost 30 years ago. The poster for the series showing Takamine going up those stairs in When A Woman Ascends the Stairs is framed and mounted on my wall.

BUT until this set was discovered by me -- I only had my memory to go on. Now I can watch When a Women, or Floating Clouds or Late Chrysanthemums whenever I want! Isn't "modern" life wonderful!

You do not need to be particularly interested in Japanese film to appreciate the wonders of these masterpieces. We will never be seeing ANY films with the so-so tenderness of his trapped people.
And they do seem to be people, not actors in a film. They have a life of their own given to them by the master, NARUSE, Mikio.