Profile for Michael Petty > Reviews

Michael Petty

Page: 1 | 2
The Watercress Girl
The Watercress Girl

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I have just made poor choices but I am struggling to get through this ..., 11 May 2016
I have made the mistake here of remembering his books taken from the library as a schoolboy, giving me some reading pleasure, plus, of course, letting the televised Darling Buds of May influence me further. When I saw this title, and others, advertised for 99p or free I was tempted.

What a ponderous read this is though! Sorry, but it's not for me. Maybe I have just made poor choices but I am struggling to get through this so am, for the first time, reviewing a book without having finished it. I hope the two other books sitting on my Kindle are better but this could be the first one to be deleted from my device. I usually keep them all in case I want to read them again - definitely not this one though!

Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves: (Jeeves & Wooster) (Jeeves & Wooster Series Book 13)
Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves: (Jeeves & Wooster) (Jeeves & Wooster Series Book 13)

4.0 out of 5 stars It's just that this is not my favourite one, 27 April 2016
An enjoyable romp, as usual, but the laugh out loud bits were well spaced out in this one. Jeeves was too much off stage for my liking, leaving Bertie, Gussie, Stiffy and Stinker too much time to engage in meaningless dialogue. One mention of a little black table figure is enough, but I feel that Wodehouse laboured this point just a bit too much.

This is not a criticism because I am hooked on all the Jeeves and Wooster stories, and have read some more than once. It's just that this is not my favourite by a long way

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen: (Jeeves & Wooster) (Jeeves & Wooster Series Book 15)
Aunts Aren't Gentlemen: (Jeeves & Wooster) (Jeeves & Wooster Series Book 15)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not one of his best, 9 Sept. 2015
Not the laugh out loud Jeeves and Wooster novel that one can usually expect but good enough in parts. As other reviewers may have mentioned there are far too many walk on, walk off scenes involving a boomerang cat which, frankly, got a bit boring in the end. For goodness sake - cat's go where they want and DO what they want, so what's the point in picking the animal up and moving it around?

Having said that, I enjoyed this one eventually, but it was slow to get going. Jeeves was absent far too much for my liking but, as ever, he came up trumps in the end getting Bertie out of his customary sticky situation. I'm glad I read it but it wasn't as joyful as some. Plenty of titters, certainly!

Hand In Glove
Hand In Glove

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Mr Goddard, 25 Aug. 2015
This review is from: Hand In Glove (Kindle Edition)
Well told story which kept me interested right to the end. There is Goddard's trademark twist to be found there but I had sort of half guessed it would end like that.

I'm working through the back catalogue of his books so have a few more of the earlier ones to read. Looking forward to completing the set, maybe some time next year. What's the rush!

The Ends of the Earth: (The Wide World - James Maxted 3)
The Ends of the Earth: (The Wide World - James Maxted 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars What next for Maxted? There must be more, surely?, 22 July 2015
Well, I rattled through this final part of the trilogy at a great pace. It was an easy read with so much familiarity with the characters already in place after reading parts one and two. In truth, I just wanted to see how it turned out so just kept on reading until I arrived breathless at the end. I had read a few bits of other reviews so was expecting the storming of the Tomura castle bit at the end, without knowing any details of course, but oh what a preposterous ending to the story! Not sure about the James Bond analogy that at least one reviewer mentioned. I'd say it was more Johnny English, personally, except he didn't have his trusty sidekick (Bough was it?) like English had.

How one man can survive so many attempts on his life when all around him are collapsing like flies was just beyond heroism. It entered the realms of ludicrousity, and I know there is no such word! Goddard has slipped up badly with this trilogy. Yes, it's readable (I read ALL of it, as did millions of others presumably) but it's just not very good. And that ending.......part four coming next year maybe? So many loose ends, or maybe he just wanted the reader to make their own minds up about how it ended. Did the plane make it? Did Schools and Malory make it? Did Lemmer hold Max to his promise? Got to be a part four, hasn't there?

If there is I will be suckered into reading it, just like most other people. I like Robert Goddard. I have loved every one of his books....until this trilogy. For me they were just stories to get through, as opposed to stories to captivate me and enjoy. Shame that, really is.

The Corners of the Globe: (The Wide World - James Maxted 2)
The Corners of the Globe: (The Wide World - James Maxted 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars STRETCHING OUT A WEAK STORY, 15 July 2015
I ploughed through this as a dufiful Goddard fan without any real and sustained pleasure. Having read part one of the trilogy I had no choice and, in fact, have just started part three. If only there wasn't danger and double cross on virtually every page it would, perhaps, be a more readable saga. Now some might say that this sounded like a good thing - I don't. After so many incidents that you could predict with almost 100% accuracy I started thinking "Ho, hum - onto the next shooting".
It occurred to me midway through the book that there was absolutely no point to all this danger that Maxted gets himself into. He's up against two kind of mafioso factions - Lemmer's gang and the Japanese - and you can't help thinking "For heavens sake, just give it up! Open your flying school". This plan to go to Japan at the end with a crack team of.....what, exactly?.....puts the tin hat on it.
I WILL get through part three just to see how it turns out. I've come this far, so I have to. But oh Mr Goddard - this is NOT an enjoyable read.

The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1)
The Ways of the World: (The Wide World - James Maxted 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars this is not one of his best. I wonder if the concept of stretching out ..., 2 July 2015
As many other reviewers have said, this is not one of his best. I wonder if the concept of stretching out a story over three books makes the whole thing a bit ponderous sometimes? I am a relatively late convert to his books and have read many of them, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. I kept going with this and I have already started Part 2 (Kindle versions for both) but the Maxted saga is not exactly gripping me yet! Maybe there will be a few surprises to come but so far it's a case of "Hey ho, there goes another one. Who's next?" Finally, Goddard seems to have an obsession for smoking in this book and I, personally, don't like to hear that this character or that character is smoking his stupid head off every five minutes. Might be me being over sensitive but it's a revolting habit and an entirely unnecessary part of the storytelling. I know that everyone did in those days but I just don't want to hear about it.

Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)
Mightier than the Sword (Clifton Chronicles Book 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Before this brilliant series of books I think the last one I ..., 27 Mar. 2015
I've ignored Jeffrey Archer for years. Before this brilliant series of books I think the last one I read was First Among Equals, so you can see how long I am talking about. I got part one of the Cliftons for free on my iPhone and I have been gripped ever since. I couldn't wait for part five to come out, thinking this was the concluding chapter. So what happens - I get to the end of the book only to find there is to be another part but not until 2016! Grrrr and double grrrrrrrr!

I'm not really complaining because I don't want to say goodbye to these characters yet and, after all, it is still 1970 in the story so plenty more to come I reckon. In short these have been terrific to read. I'm one of those readers who hates books where you have to read the same page several times to understand what it was all about. I'm not stupid, honest! It's just that there are novels that are too complicated to waste your life reading. Archer's novels fit into a much easier reading category though, and I am grateful for that. I like to rattle through a story for pure pleasure, not to have my intellectual taste buds tickled (I know that makes no sense, but never mind!)

I will look forward with keen interest for the next part and hope that the standard is maintained. I am sure it will be.

A Bit of a Do
A Bit of a Do

5.0 out of 5 stars TOTAL TICKETY BOO!, 1 Oct. 2014
This review is from: A Bit of a Do (Kindle Edition)
Unlike other reviewers I think that seeing a story on television or in the cinema actually enhances the enjoyment of the book. I saw the TV series A Bit of a Do when it first came out and have also enjoyed it when repeated time and time again. It was recently on ITV 3 and I found myself reading the story on my Kindle and hearing the character's voices in my head very clearly. It made the funny lines even funnier because I had SEEN them delivered.

I'm a huge fan of David Nobbs although having recently sampled a couple of his early titles, I found them less appealing. Anything from Pratt onwards is good for me though and I will now download the follow up - Fair Dos. He is a master story teller and his observations of the South Yorkshire area where I originate from are spot on.

A Piece of the Sky is Missing
A Piece of the Sky is Missing

2.0 out of 5 stars ... started looking at the early back catalogue of this great author. I have been a fan of his ..., 22 Aug. 2014
I have just started looking at the early back catalogue of this great author. I have been a fan of his work for many years and have read all of his books from the Perrin series and the Pratts right up to Sally Mottram. What I felt I should do, therefore, was go back to the beginning and read his first efforts. All I can say is......well, I wish I hadn't!
Having ploughed my way painfully through "The Itinerant Lodger", skipping whole sections where I couldn't be bothered, I came to this one, once again downloaded to my Kindle. To be fair, it was better, but only a little. I feel really bad about criticising one of my all time favourite authors but I can't help it.
I find with a novel that I have to care about the main character and I didn't care too much for Robert Bellamy. I didn't care about the trouble he was in, or how it all ended for him. This, and "Lodger" were clearly early attempts by a new author and they presumably sold some copies, thus encourage Mr Nobbs to go on to MUCH greater things. Pratt and Perrin are two of the greatest ever characters in literary history (ok, in a light hearted sense I meant) but Mr Bellamy and the one in Lodger that kept changing his name were a waste of my reading time.
Ah well, I've read them now and will go on to the next. "Ostrich Country" maybe?

Page: 1 | 2