Profile for Toutseul > Reviews

Ten Billion
Ten Billion
by Stephen Emmott

3.0 out of 5 stars So much blank paper, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Ten Billion (Paperback)
I got this book after reading an excerpt of it in the Guardian. I received it today. Interesting, though more of a pamphlet of the author's opinion than a scientific book. Took me about an hour to read. At first I thought there had been a printing error as there are so many pages with just a very few lines of print and blank paper ! I considered contacting Penguin to report a printing error but I then had a look at a sample of the Kindle version and saw that, no, there was no print missing. Penguin must have decided to print the book like this. In a book which concludes that we should use fewer resources, it is an incredibly wasteful use of resources to have a book that is mostly empty paper ! Surely the author cannot have agreed to this wastage ? I have to give the book only 3 stars because of the hypocrisy of producing it with so much blank paper !
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 11, 2013 8:59 PM BST

Bach: Christmas Oratorio (Harnoncourt) [DVD] [2005]
Bach: Christmas Oratorio (Harnoncourt) [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Bach

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it !, 18 May 2013
Wonderful music, wonderfully performed. Harnoncourt gives a very authentic sound with period instruments. Marvellous choir. The boy singers have such pure sounding voices and sing very professionally. When you realise most of these boys were only nine or ten it is amazing, they are very talented, and they give the sound Bach would have heard and what he wrote for. Such moving - as well as foot tapping music - very joyous.

My only little gripe is that there's nowhere the names of the musicians or the singers, apart from Peter Schrier and Robert Holl. With some detective work I managed to find the names of three of the boy soloists: Stefan Rampf, Allan Bergius and Tobias Eiwanger, that's how we know they were only nine or ten years old. The names of the rest and and of the musicians are sadly nowhere to be found.

Genocide: How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!!!!
Genocide: How Your Doctor's Dietary Ignorance Will Kill You!!!!
by James Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and interesting, 8 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book. Dr Carlson explains complicated things in a very easy manner for lay people to understand. His writing style is fun to read too. My only criticism is the lack of contents page and index.

Vitamin D and Cholesterol: The Importance of the Sun
Vitamin D and Cholesterol: The Importance of the Sun
by David S. Grimes

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most important books on vitamin D there is, 16 Aug 2012
Highly readable and informative book about vitamin D - and cholesterol ! The vitamin D connection with disease is clearly explained by Dr Grimes - he is ahead of his time. Hopefully he will get more recognition as the importance of vitamin D becomes more and more apparent to the rest of the medical profession.

An Apple a Day: A Memoir of Love and Recovery from Anorexia
An Apple a Day: A Memoir of Love and Recovery from Anorexia
by Emma Woolf

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good book, 7 Aug 2012
The author of this book is being dishonest to say she is recovering from anorexia - she still has anorexia and continues to write of her descent into it in the Times. I wish Emma Woolf every success into getting to grips with her anorexia as it is the most awful psychological problem to have, but until she is honest with herself, until she really wants to be free of her anorexia, she will remain trapped in it. Don't waste your money buying a book from someone who has no insight into anorexia.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2013 9:11 PM BST

Brabantia Corkscrew Quickpull - Black
Brabantia Corkscrew Quickpull - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Briiliant, 20 Jun 2012
Brilliant ! And brilliant value too ! We got this for our holiday home so that we didn't need to keep taking our Screwpull with us. This Brabantia Quickpull is stronger than our Screwpull which is one of the original ones from several years ago. It's much cheaper too, so we're very happy with it and confident it will last at least as long if not longer !

Creano AbloomTea Teapot Giftbox with 6 White Teaballs
Creano AbloomTea Teapot Giftbox with 6 White Teaballs
Offered by Teeladen Herzberg

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 4 Jan 2012
The teapot arrived smashed, and I could see from the thinness of the glass that this product was extremely poor quality. Thankfully Amazon gave me a refund. This product deserves no stars, not even one.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2013 3:16 PM BST

Glenn Gould, Hereafter (English Cover) [DVD] [2006]
Glenn Gould, Hereafter (English Cover) [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Humphrey Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for any Glenn Gould fan, 24 Aug 2006
I have just watched this DVD and it's wonderful ! Bruno Monsaigneon has done a beautiful job of welding film of Glenn Gould with information about him and music he played in a way of which I'm sure Gould would have much approved. There's lots of new footage which hasn't appeared on previous DVDs, insights by Monsaigneon, and lots of music other than Bach ! It is very moving to watch.

My only criticism of the DVD is that sometimes the soundtrack is slightly out of sync with the picture.

King Kong [DVD]  [2005] (2 Disc Special Edition)
King Kong [DVD] [2005] (2 Disc Special Edition)
Dvd ~ Naomi Watts
Offered by DVDBayFBA

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible film, 21 April 2006
I repeat HORRIBLE film.

The first hour was boring and the second hour horrible and ridiculous by turns. I haven't watched the rest, I'm giving the DVD away.

Peter Jackson has wonderfully slimmed himself down. He must have gone on a strict diet - I wonder if that's why he made such a horrible film. He seems to be revisitng his Braindead period. I'm surprised King Kong only got a 12 rating.

Red Dwarf : Series 8 (Limited Edition with corgi Scutter toy)  [DVD]
Red Dwarf : Series 8 (Limited Edition with corgi Scutter toy) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie
Offered by Revival Books Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but spoiled by the commentary, 26 Mar 2006
Red Dwarf VIII is wonderful, brilliant and so funny. I would give the DVD 5 stars but take away one because the commentary is so disappointing.
The actors have used the commentary time to chat idly between themselves and have given us very little information about how the series was done, very few anecdotes and very little information. They did the commentary on the previous DVDs in a similar vein. What a waste of an opportunity. I'm sure viewers would love to hear more about the series and less about what cars the actors drive or their thoughts on their hairstyles and clothing !

Page: 1 | 2