Profile for Scary Reader > Reviews

Italy for the Gourmet Traveller
Italy for the Gourmet Traveller
by Fred Plotkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Life enhancing - and perfect for Kindle, 5 May 2011
I can only echo the general sentiment of other reviewers here: this is a beautifully researched and written book, full of fascinating detail and thought provoking ideas which clearly demonstrate the author's passion for, and knowledge of, Italy and Italian food. Just reading it gives you a rich warm sense of the place and the author's love for his subject is so infectious it's positively life enhancing.

Other reviewers have also alluded to the book's weight, and for me this is the only problem. It is one of the heaviest paperback books I have ever picked up and would add considerably to the weight of your baggage if you were taking it with you to Italy. Until the publishers put it out on Kindle my advice would be to read it carefully before you go and take notes with you rather than the whole book!

Apart from that it's wonderful.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 2 May 2011
I bought this for my darling wife, who reads several novels a week (while I do all the cooking and housework and shopping blah blah blah) and is a bit of a traditionalist and a Technophobe to whom the idea of an e-reader of any kind seemed barbaric. A friend had bought one, however, and was raving about how useful it was when she was snowed in at her cottage over winter and had read everything in the house - the only thing which kept her sane was being able to download more books for her Kindle. Another friend told us of how she got stuck on a train for two hours and her Kindle had been a Godsend. My wife became intrigued and so I bought it (if she didn't like it I'd keep it for myself) downloaded a load of stuff I knew she'd like and some stuff I thought she'd like and.... she loves it - absolutely and totally and completely loves it. It's easy to read, light and easy to hold, puts itself to sleep if she's nodded off and remembers where she was (as opposed to losing her place with a conventional book).
Another point worth considering from a friend of ours who's recently given birth: you can lay it flat and still read it while holding a sleeping / feeding infant, and you can't do that with many books!

If you're dithering about it I'd say go on - take the leap, I really don't think you'll regret it!

Dualit 26205 2 Slot Lite Toaster in Black Gloss Finish
Dualit 26205 2 Slot Lite Toaster in Black Gloss Finish

2.0 out of 5 stars A Pity..., 2 May 2011
I have to admit to owning one of Dualit's big chunky hefty four slice toasters, and I bought this simply in order to save valuable space in my kitchen. It had to be sent back because the mechanism which catches the bread and holds it in place so that the toasting process can begin simply didn't work. More importantly, however, it felt too light and flimsy compared to my original Dualit and I doubt if it would last anything like as long. The bigger toasters are much more expensive but I suspect this is a case of getting what you pay for and at the best part of £60 I don't think this is good value. I'm sticking with the original, which still works fine after 10 years. Oh - almost forgot - if you do buy one of these be careful you unpack it properly: I only noticed at the last moment that there were strips of cardboard at the bottom of the toasting racks. If I hadn't noticed in time I'd have set fire to the kitchen.....

Michelin Guide Italia 2011 2011: Hotels und Restaurants (Michelin Guides)
Michelin Guide Italia 2011 2011: Hotels und Restaurants (Michelin Guides)
by Michelin

3.0 out of 5 stars A warning...., 17 April 2011
Being a Michelin guide this book is packed with detail, well researched and reliable - despite Trattoria Cescarina in Santa Margherita Ligure having been unfairly dropped from its recommendations - BUT buyer beware: apart from a small explanatory section in English this is all in Italian. Once you've got the hang of the symbols and sections it's still possible to work out which places would be worth visiting, but if you don't speak Italian you miss out on the reviews themselves.

Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T in Navy Size XXL (SA101) [Apparel] [Apparel]
Fruit of the Loom Heavy Cotton T in Navy Size XXL (SA101) [Apparel] [Apparel]
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars What's not to like?, 10 Dec. 2010
I wear these all the time - at home and for work. At work I have to look relaxed, casual but not scruffy, and these are perfect worn under a jacket. They are of substantial quality and thickness, keep their shape well, and still look as good after numerous washes (wash at low temperatures). Sad as this may sound I have bought dozens of T shirts over the last few years and the only other T shirts I've found to be as good carry a symbol of a certain equestrian sport and cost twenty times as much!

100 Mail Lite E/2 JL2 Padded Envelope 220 x 260mm
100 Mail Lite E/2 JL2 Padded Envelope 220 x 260mm
Offered by Crazee Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 10 Dec. 2010
These are a little lighter than some other brands but just as robust - I haven't had any complaints from customers about how products have arrived. They are also a lot cheaper than high street versions and when you use as many as we do that's significant!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 10 Dec. 2010
Comfortable, snug, warm (and we need that at the moment!) and at the same time a firm enough shoe to be able to wear about the house all day. What more could you ask, what more do you need?

Emotion & Commotion
Emotion & Commotion
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Talent wasted, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Emotion & Commotion (Audio CD)
Oh, come on! Jeff Beck is an excellent guitarist but this is clearly the work of a man who has run out of ideas and is taking very poor advice from the people around him. This is a combination of old staples which don't go together, mixed with some of his own stuff which is sadly uninspiring, which together produces an album which will appeal only to those who used to listen to him in the 60s but would now rather sit at home in their carpet slippers listening to Classic FM. You don't believe me? Then what the hell is Nessun Dorma doing on a Jeff Beck album? It's a wonderful piece of music in the right context, but this isn't the right context and it demotes Beck to the level of second rate Hank Marvin. Why is he not working with real blues artists to develop real blues albums? This isn't experimenting with new forms, or taking his career along more imaginative channels, this is third rate aural wallpaper which smacks of desperation. It's tragic, and he needs new management urgently!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2010 10:43 AM BST

Prefabulous + Sustainable: Building and Customizing an Affordable, Energy-Efficient Home
by Sheri Koones

3.0 out of 5 stars This is an unfair review!, 3 May 2010
I'm a little disappointed with this book but it's probably my own fault and has little to do with the author, who is obviously extremely knowledgeable and passionate, or the contents. I bought it because I saw it mentioned in the 'Grand Designs' magazine and - because the mag didn't point out that it was an american publication - I assumed it was mostly concerned with the kind of prefabricated houses available in Europe such as Huf Haus. It isn't. It's very much concerned with the american tradition of pre-fab housing and what is currently possible over there. It makes a strong case for the ethical and practical advantages of having a house more or less built in a factory and then assembled on-site, has some interesting case studies and advice, but is ultimately rather limited in its application to this country. A book of case studies of people who have had pre-fab houses built by the various companies based in this country and Europe, with advice as to the pit-falls and advantages, would be very useful, but this isn't it!

Ambassador Cardboard Postal Tube, 50mm diameter x 625mm (Box of 25)
Ambassador Cardboard Postal Tube, 50mm diameter x 625mm (Box of 25)

5.0 out of 5 stars On the other hand...., 7 Mar. 2010
... if you've gone to the trouble of measuring what you want to send through the post and have established that it will fit in these tubes then they are brilliant. The caps fit perfectly at each end (unlike those manufactured for a well known office supplies company stapled into a corner of a retail park near you), they are robust enough to withstand the post office's best efforts at destruction, and they're a damn sight cheaper here than anywhere else I've found.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6