Profile for John N Hetherington > Reviews

Content by John N Hetheri...

John N Hetherington (Thorngumbald, East Yorkshire United Kingdom)

Trout Mask Replica
Trout Mask Replica

5.0 out of 5 stars My smile is stuck, I cannot go back to your frownland., 23 Mar 2007
This review is from: Trout Mask Replica (Audio CD)
As the good Captain once said 'most people want you to see the world through their eyes' applying this observation to the aural presentation of 'Trout Mask Replica' you'd be hard pushed to find a more deconstructed view of 'popular' music than the tracks of this album reveal.

Having grown up singing the (required) sea shanties of primary school, I began listening to the poetry and syncopation of Delta Blues in my early teens as a relief from the blandness of most mid-sixties pop. Post summer(s)of love, I remember heading off for 'uni' with a copy of John Lee Hooker's 'House Of The Blues'(Riverside Recordings)under my arm - pretty much a 'keep-your-distance-I-know-my-stuff' act. I'd bought 'Safe As Milk' and loved the growling 'Electricty'. Peel's 'perfumed garden' was seminal to my 'underground' persona - I generally avoided the British music scene seeking obscura americana to replace JLH as underarm advertising. Then, in the first term, a mate came to my room bearing Trout Mask Replica. Two days later I'd stopped using albums as a badges and realised that I was a musical no-body and I've never looked back since.

Reviewers who fail to give this album less than five stars, have a different understanding of the history of pop to me. All anyone can do is tell it from their perspective.

Trout Mask Replica represents all that is good and great about art but, of course, if you don't love it I can't give you my ears - or my history - you'll have to get by with your own.

In 1969 TMR (concept & realisation) was as unbelievable as a manned landing on the moon. And, if you'll excuse my smugness, no-one's managed to do either successfully since.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 10:48 PM BST

The All-American Rejects
The All-American Rejects
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 6.67

4.0 out of 5 stars somehow it works, 28 Sep 2003
Not the pure guitar band ironic pop of the massively underated Fountains of Wayne, but just as well recorded. Jangling guitar fills, swirling orchestral underlinings, tight,boy-racer percussion and a lead voice that makes yer grin at its love lorn angst. Lads, we've all been there. Hey if life was that bad you'd not want ter sing about it. The word 'alone' features a lot and harmonics end the bonus track! (The cigarette song) Truely, it should be binned...but somehow it all works. I defy you to walk away not humming!

Trout Fishing In America
Trout Fishing In America
by Richard Brautigan

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, then find a trout stream., 1 Sep 2003
Loved or hated, 'Trout Fishing in America' should not be ignored - a modern classic that spawned an original slant on the post-beat novel.
The metaphor - 'Trout Fishing in America' - is explained candidly in the first three chapters, or 'seductions', then woven into the fabric of experience like a sun ray threading through a grey cloud sky. Brautigan took the 'Road Novel' format and applied it to record journeys along the highways and byways of mind.
Written during a time when many young writers, artists and politicians were committed to searching for an alternative America, the book seeks to explore landscape as a memory of former conditions. Brautigan's prose invokes a quirky and unexpected beauty in all its events in a way that no-one else has quite managed since.
I first read the book (with awe) in 1969 as an undergraduate, subsequently holding dear everything else that the man ever produced. Not his best work but essentially THE FIRST - That's why you really should purchase and read this book.

Wheel of Fortune
Wheel of Fortune

5.0 out of 5 stars Celtic Celebrations, 20 Aug 2003
This review is from: Wheel of Fortune (Audio CD)
This 1993 live recording captures the essence of these two great musicians ability to entertain. JR's virtuosity chimes through with his dazzling picking and gentle humour, whilst RW's maverick vocal style continues to develop the surreal threads of his 'incredible' days. The 12 tracks - a selection of set high spots from three North American venues - all have a lilting, rhapsodic magic about them. Robin's harp, guitar and whistle arrangements always complimented by John's intricate counterpoints. Traditional tunes dominate with one exception - 'Little Niles' - a Renbourn rendition of Randy Weston's jazz original. If you ever get a chance to buy this album...take a ride on the wheel of fortune!