Profile for Shaun Jeffrey > Reviews

Content by Shaun Jeffrey

Shaun Jeffrey (Crewe)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Sculpting in Copper (Basics of Sculpture)
Sculpting in Copper (Basics of Sculpture)
by Jim Pratt

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 May 2014
A varied bunch of projects that give a good overview of working with copper. Easy to understand with some tremendous examples of what you can achieve with a little skill (or in some cases a lot of skill). Takes you through the basics and onto more difficult projects.

A Monster Calls (non illustrated)
A Monster Calls (non illustrated)
by Patrick Ness

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving, 14 April 2014
I read this book to my 11 year old son, and it's been a long while since a book has affected me so deeply. Extremely moving, sad, poignant, mystical and strange. When I read the final page my son was in tears and I had a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. It's tagged as YA, but I think people of any age could appreciate the deeply emotional theme that haunts this heartbreaking story.

Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red
Garmin Forerunner 10 GPS Running Watch - Black/Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 15 Dec 2013
The watch is easy to use and it tracks my runs well. You can easily set it up to display whatever functions you require too. The only downside is that compared to the running app on my iphone, it takes a while to pick up the satellites, but it's good for the price.

The Lurkers in the Abyss and Other Tales of Terror
The Lurkers in the Abyss and Other Tales of Terror
by David a. Riley

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark tour de force, 5 Nov 2013
This fiction collection is a dark tour de force that charts David's writing through various professional publications. Usually in a single author collection you will find a couple of space fillers to up the word count, but in this case there wasn't a single story that I didn't enjoy reading. David has a knack for writing believable characters, using prose that grabs the reader and drags them into the story. With stories stretching the gamut of dark delights, his effortless prose makes it look easy, using his skill to elicit a range of emotions from the reader. David's work deserves far more attention. A highly recommended collection, and if there's any justice, it should win awards.

Running with the Kenyans: Discovering the secrets of the fastest people on earth
by Adharanand Finn

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, 27 Oct 2013
If you are a runner, or you're interested in running, then you might enjoy this book. The author has an easy writing style that captures the essence of his six month odyssey to find the essence of what makes the Kenyans so good at running, and while it might not give a simple answer, it's a captivating journey.

Predator Child Mask
Predator Child Mask

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing like the picture, 23 Oct 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Predator Child Mask (Toy)
The actual mask is nothing like that in the picture, which is obviously taken from a movie still. It's also stated as having 'dreadlock style hair', which it doesn't. It's not a full overhead mask, and the so called dreadlocks are one inch nubs at the side of the face. Very disappointed.

Strictly Murder (The Verity Long Mysteries Book 1)
Strictly Murder (The Verity Long Mysteries Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cosy mystery, 18 Sep 2013
I enjoyed this cosy mystery. It was well written, the prose flowed well and the characters were nicely fleshed out. The only reason I marked it down to 4 stars was because I thought there were quite a few unnecessary sections that didn't add anything to the story. But that aside, it's an easy read with humorous undertones and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a well plotted mystery.

52 Pickup
52 Pickup
by Elmore Leonard

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful prose, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: 52 Pickup (Paperback)
The novel had me hooked right up until the denouement. Towards the end, the characters reactions to the events they found themselves in seemed unrealistic. I felt that the protagonist was too calm, and his reactions never went above lukewarm. But that aside, the dialogue is gritty and real, and even though it was written in the early 70s, it still holds up today. The writing itself is powerful and descriptive, without any unnecessary prose to bog the story down, and it was that which kept me turning the pages. I'll certainly be checking out more of Mr Leonard's work. The man had talent.

Chirunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
Chirunning: A Revolutionary Approach to Effortless, Injury-Free Running
by Danny Dreyer

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 9 Aug 2013
Interesting read with some ideas I hadn't tried before, but it didn't work for me and the lingering pain from my sprained ankle as it just seemed to cause me more problems such as calf pain and more ankle pain (of course I might not have been doing it correctly), but it may work for some people.

Eyelevel Mohican 2 Wrap Men's Sunglasses Grey One Size
Eyelevel Mohican 2 Wrap Men's Sunglasses Grey One Size

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 9 Aug 2013
Use these for jogging in, and they were comfortable to wear and helped reduce the blinding glare of our infrequent sun. They look pretty stylish too for a reasonable price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5