Profile for A. J. Humphreys > Reviews

Content by A. J. Humphreys

A. J. Humphreys "www.alastairhumphreys.com" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
100 Family Adventures (Meek Family)
100 Family Adventures (Meek Family)
by Tim Meek

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the way the Meek family practice what they preach, 20 Mar. 2015
I love the way the Meek family practice what they preach. It's really inspiring to see the whole family participating in the adventures and in the creation of the book. If you have a young family this book will give you ideas and inspiration for masses of family adventures together.

Weave Of The Ride
Weave Of The Ride
by Andy Welch

5.0 out of 5 stars personal reflection and philosophy, 24 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Weave Of The Ride (Paperback)
Andy’s book begins as mates heading off on an adventure and transforms into personal reflection and philosophy.
As someone who has ridden long miles with good friends myself, I enjoyed the tales of larking around and silliness. And I chuckled at the petty resentments and incredibly pointless arguments that long trips inevitably produce.

Ipanema Turtles: A South American Adventure by Bike
Ipanema Turtles: A South American Adventure by Bike

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug. 2014
Brought back many happy memories for me. Well done Paddy and Laura!

The Road Headed West: A Cycling Adventure Through North America
The Road Headed West: A Cycling Adventure Through North America
by Leon McCarron

5.0 out of 5 stars Optimistic and Determined, 11 July 2014
This book ranks right up there with the best of long-distance cycling travelogues. Anyone who enjoys reading of bike journeys, or perhaps is planning one of their own, will appreciate this book.

And anyone who once set off, young and foolish, but optimistic and determined, to go explore the wide world out there will nod along appreciatively too.

Leon begins the book as a young man knowing absolutely nothing about bicycle travel, but desperate to get out and explore the world and challenge himself. I really enjoyed following him on his journey.

The illustrations and the hand-drawn map are excellent, too.

Naked and Marooned: One Man. One Island. One Epic Survival Story
Naked and Marooned: One Man. One Island. One Epic Survival Story
by Ed Stafford

5.0 out of 5 stars a powerful insight into the adventurer's mind, 23 Jun. 2014
Ed Stafford's expedition down the Amazon was epic. Really epic. His latest project is in the same vein. To spend two months alone on a desert island, naked and marooned.

I really enjoyed his book. It has got all the stuff you would expect from a book like this: the struggle to light a fire and the relief upon succeeding; the daily trials and tribulations and revolting food; the loneliness and worry. This is all impressive, vicarious adventure. I would never do this myself. I could never do this myself. So it makes for an intriguing read.

But what I enjoyed most about Naked and Marooned were the reflective thoughts towards the end of the book. These provide a powerful insight into the adventurer's mind, the difficulties of being so driven, and the fact that coming home does not equal the end of the trip. Coming home and trying to readjust are hard, but this is not usually featured in books.

Adventure books normally end with the hero heading off into the sunset, so I found the epilogue of this book very moving.
Above all, Ed's book reminded me to keep seeking big, difficult, personally challenging experiences in life.
After all, as Ed writes, "We can all get by in life muddling through, doing a bit of unconscious grumbling, and catching fleeting moments of fun and happiness, often with the help of a couple of drinks."
There must be more to life than that...

Prophecy. An ARKANE Thriller. (Book 2): Volume 2
Prophecy. An ARKANE Thriller. (Book 2): Volume 2
by J. F. Penn

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright young thing..., 4 Jun. 2013
JF Penn is a bright young thing on the thriller scene. She writes well and the storyline is gripping. You don't need to know much more!

Janapar: Love, on a Bike
Janapar: Love, on a Bike
by Tom Allen

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh, 8 Feb. 2013
In a rather saturated, often slightly tedious niche (long-books-about-long-bike-rides), Janapar stands out. It's theme is fresh and honest. Definitely worth a read.

Why We Run
Why We Run
by Robin Harvie

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-thought out musings on an impossible subject!, 5 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Why We Run (Paperback)
I think that all of us who run, and run a lot, appreciate how difficult it is to articulate why we run. So I admire the bold attempt here. It is well-wriiten, with thoughtful aphorisms and reflections. Like all good marathons, I felt the first half was a bit slow, but the second half much faster. I really enjoyed the chapters about the Spartathlon. It was so miserable it made me think "I want to do that!"

Wild Swimming France: Discover the Most Beautiful Rivers, Lakes and Waterfalls of France
by Daniel Start

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 5 May 2012
Vicarious travelogue, handy travel guide, glorious inspiration on a drab English day: this book is beautiful, comprehensive and makes me desperate to don my Speedos and head for France.

Call of the White: Taking the World to the South Pole
Call of the White: Taking the World to the South Pole
by Felicity Aston

5.0 out of 5 stars Low on beards and testosterone, 17 April 2012
Given that most polar exploration books are about beards and testosterone, this was a refreshing change.
It has all the usual good stuff that people enjoy in polar books (pulling big sledges, getting cold, being hard as nails) but it is the relationships between the women on the expedition that really stands out.
An excellent read.