Profile for @Tube_Driver > Reviews

Content by @Tube_Driver

@Tube_Driver (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Premium In Car Holder Windscreen Suction Mount for Apple iPhone 4 4S, iPhone 5 5S 5C - Mobile Accessories By Sunwire®
Offered by e4deal UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for iPhone 4/4S, 12 Jan. 2012
I bought this excellent little holder for my iPhone 4 and it works perfectly.

For the low price, this is surprisingly well made and enables me to mount my iPhone to the windscreen of my car quickly and easily. You can choose to have it in portrait or landscape orientation and the adjustable clamp means I don't have to remove my iPhone from its case. This is a big selling point as I have owned holders in the past which will only take a "naked" iPhone.

The suction cap is very strong and there is no risk of it coming off, even if you go off-roading! Just make sure you take the time to fix it properly to your windscreen and you'll be fine. It takes seconds to do this.

The clamp which holds your phone in is adjustable and measures about 5cm at its narrowest setting, extending to about 8cm at its widest. Once your phone is sitting comfortably, you can lock the clamp so there is no chance of it coming loose and dropping your phone. The length is about 10cm. This holder is advertised as being for the iPhone 4/4S but the fact you can adjust it so much means it will just as easily hold many other phones.

Overall then, I would recommend this cheap but flexible and well made holder for your mobile phone.

LEGO City 7287: Police Boat
LEGO City 7287: Police Boat

5.0 out of 5 stars It actually floats!, 12 Jan. 2012
This review is from: LEGO City 7287: Police Boat (Toy)
Why are you reading this? It's Lego, it's excellent and I suggest you order one now!

For those of you who need some convincing, this Lego police boat is superb. I was amazed at how big it is; the boat measures just over 40cm in length and is much larger than I expected for the price. You get three minifigures and all the usual accessories you would expect from Lego; you even get a small "personal watercraft" for the bad guy, which I guess is like a jet ski.

This impressive Lego boat also actually floats on water. To facilitate this, the hull comes as one whole section that does not require assembly; I was slightly disappointed by this as it means you only get to assemble half the boat, i.e. the deck. However, I don't think the boat would have been able to float had it not been this way so I'm not too bothered. It still looks fantastic!

The instructions are excellent, as usual, and the pieces come in two bags to make it easier to locate the piece you need. You just build one part at a time and put them both together when you're done.

I also have a police motorcycle and police helicopter, so I am very pleased with the boat as a new addition. All my Lego models have come with spare pieces which I was not expecting and was a very pleasant surprise. You get a few extra pieces, usually the very small or fragile bits, so you have spares at hand should any go missing or break. It's nice of Lego to do that as they could just as easily charge customers for replacement parts.

I only have one gripe with Lego and it is this: they use excessive packaging. For example, the Lego police boat could easily have come in a box almost half the size and it would not have compromised the level of protection given to the product inside. Perhaps they like to use larger boxes to enable them to print lots of promotional material on the packaging; for me, this is unnecessary. It's Lego, folks; we all know and love it and this excessive use of packaging is not good for the environment.

Overall then, this Lego police boat is highly recommended. It looks fantastic, has a great price tag and was a joy to build. In my 36-year-old (!) opinion, Lego is the BEST toy ever invented; it is timeless and will appeal to children (of all ages!) for generations to come.

iGloo Premium: Super Slim Back Cover Hard Case for Apple iPhone 4 / 4G / 4S (Black)
Offered by iGloo Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 4 Sept. 2011
For the low asking price, this is a pretty good case. It is very thin and doesn't feel like it would withstand a strong impact, but at least it protects my iPhone 4 from everyday wear and tear. I like the tinted plastic and actually prefer it to the clear, transparent cases that are around. The cut-outs for the volume buttons, mute switch and rear camera and flash are perfectly cut. However, the cut-out for the camera is not as shown in the photo; it is not quite as tight around the flash. But don't let that minor quibble put you off. This case is worth getting; it looks good, adds minimal bulk to the iPhone 4 and it's cheap. It is also very easy to put on and take off. Recommended.

Creative Spirit (UK edition)
Creative Spirit (UK edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 14 May 2011
I can't believe how cheap this book is. Unlike many Kindle books at this price point, CS is a great read. It is very well written, entertaining and moves along at a pace that never lets up, leaving you wanting more and more until the shocking climax. This is aided by short chapters that get even shorter as the tale progresses; it's very well structured. Check out the free sample and if this is your kind of story, then don't hesitate. I'm about to start Troubled by the same author and I am looking forward to it.

Dead Beat
Dead Beat

5.0 out of 5 stars Delectable debut, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Dead Beat (Kindle Edition)
I've been binging on zombies lately; can't seem to get enough of them. Together with Dave Jeffery's Necropolis Rising, Dead Beat is one of the tastier offerings on Kindle and simply oozes flavour. It has been lovingly put together with all the ingredients merging nicely for the most part. I enjoyed Dead Beat very much and look forward to savouring more of Mr. Porter's dishes, especially if the main ingredient is of the shambling, undead sort. I can't wait for dessert....

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing blog, brilliant website, 22 April 2011
The Creepypasta website is excellent and contains lots of stories, a lot of which will make your hair stand on end. Unfortunately, this blog contains just ten of the most recent stories and there is no way of accessing previous ones. Coupled with the fact that there has been no update in nearly five months, it simply isn't worth the subscription price (even if it is just 99p a month).

By all means check out the free trial, but you're better off visiting the great website after the trial ends, for additional content, which won't cost you anything.

Overall then, a spine-tingling website with lots of great stories, but a disappointing and poor value for money blog.

Horror Showcase Volume One
Horror Showcase Volume One

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave Jeffery Showcase, 7 April 2011
I need to get something off my chest before starting this review proper. Kindle books at this low price point seem to have one thing in common: abysmal writing. I'm talking about poor grammar, punctuation errors, spelling mistakes and even mistakes where the word "past" has been used instead of "passed"; twice and in the same story. Thankfully, these are very short stories so the errors that litter the text do not disrupt the flow so much. But some serious editing is needed to a) give the reader a better experience, and b) make the authors look more professional and give the impression that they actually know how to craft a story without succumbing to schoolboy errors. I would recommend the use of a basic spell checker, at the very least. In addition, the formatting is poor and needs work.

Anyway, moving on. We have twelve short stories by three authors in this mixed bag of horror tales. Most of them are pretty run-of-the-mill, instantly forgettable and certainly not horrific by any stretch. However, highlights include the hilarious "Spiced Meat" which had me laughing out loud; "The Return of Borley (Borely?) Rectory" also deserves a mention for starting off well with an interesting take on the haunted house premise, but the conclusion was disappointing.

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one reason to buy this ebook: Dave Jeffery. Having read his excellent "Necropolis Rising", I purchased HSV1 after noting that Mr. Jeffery was a contributor. His four contributions are not without their share of errors in the text, but they occur far less frequently than the other authors. "Daddy Dearest" is a great take on the ubiquitous zombie theme and no horror anthology would be complete without at least one zombie gnawing at its pages. This emotionally charged tale is an original and well-written account of an abusive father and his eventual comeuppance. Despite its depressing theme, I enjoyed this story immensely.

Another of my favourites, also by Dave Jeffery, is the brilliant "The Last Rose of Summer". This superb little tale is very well-crafted and reads like poetry; it glides along at a hypnotic pace that had me literally on the edge of my seat, all the way to the jaw-dropping climax. Writing a good story of such short length is a skill and this is one of the finest examples I have ever read. Just superb. I also enjoyed "Foresight", which I think would benefit from being a longer novel; it also has a certain cinematic feel about it and would probably do well if it was made into a film.

If it wasn't for "Daddy Dearest" and "The Last Rose of Summer", I would have given this collection a two- or three-star rating. As it is, those two stories are worth the price of the book and it is those two stories alone that elevate HSV1 to a five-star maximum. Make no mistake - Dave Jeffery is one to look out for in the future and I look forward to supporting his work in the field of horror fiction.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2011 11:27 AM BST

Necropolis Rising
Necropolis Rising

4.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Necropolis Rising (Kindle Edition)
At last! A zombie story that doesn't read like it was written by an illiterate teenager. Not only is the writing of good quality, but the plot is quite original (for a zombie book) and well paced. Characterisation suffers a tad but not enough to make it an issue. Nice to see a zombie tale set in the UK as they mostly seem to be set on Planet America these days. Overall then, a good zombie story at a good price and I recommend it.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2011 8:24 PM BST

20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse
20 Years After The Zombie Apocalypse

4.0 out of 5 stars Original take on the zombie theme, 31 Mar. 2011
I like this story because it has a fairly original plot and doesn't take the usual angle that you might expect from a zombie book. It's a good read and paced perfectly so you never feel like it's lagging. There are some surprising errors in the text, however, that I'm surprised were not picked up on. One example of some dialogue: "Your OK now, you're safe." I have to assume that the author knows the difference between "your" and "you're" so it appears the editing is a bit sloppy. That minor quibble aside, I would still recommend this book to all zombie fans out there.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2011 6:11 PM BST

Zombie Fallout
Zombie Fallout

3.0 out of 5 stars OK at best, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Zombie Fallout (Kindle Edition)
This is a fairly entertaining story that has moments of humour that had me chuckling to myself. However, the writing is of substandard quality and I am shocked at the atrocious punctuation errors that litter the text. At times, these schoolboy errors actually proved to be quite distracting and disrupt the flow of the story. That aside, Zombie Fallout is worth a look at this low price if you can put up with the poor writing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5