Profile for J. Marten > Reviews

J. Marten (UK)

Orange San Diego
Orange San Diego

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing phone, NO 4G, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Orange San Diego (Electronics)
Another review here tells you that the phone has 4G data - this is not true. In the UK, 4G means LTE technology. The phone does have HSPA+ capabilities, which elsewhere in the world is called 4G, but here is treated as 3G.

To put that in a nutshell, the phone has current generation tech, but the amazing new super high speed data that EE are supposedly going to be offering next year will NOT work with this phone. It doesn't have the right bits and pieces inside for that. However, only a handful of very expensive phones do right now, so don't let it put you off.

I bought a San Diego new on eBay as a replacement for my aging San Francisco and it's so much better in every way. I won't dwell on technical specs, there's enough of those kicking around the internet to drown an engineer, but the user experience is amazing. The screen is larger and clearer than the SF's already amazing screen. It's almost impossible to make out individual pixels. The interface is fast, with none of the frustrating waiting around to open simple apps like google play. Games still take time to load, but they've got enormous in size these days.

As for the intel processor meaning 'some apps' are incompatible, the only ones I've found to not install so far have been complex 3d games, and to be honest, I really don't play games much on the phone anyway. Mass Effect: Infiltrator runs beautifully, though, and looks better on the San Diego than it does on my tablet.

As an actual phone, call quality is fantastic, and people tell me I sound clearer at their end too. I am currently having some issues with reception though - my phone is spending long periods trying to find a signal and as a result the battery is running down far too quickly. Battery life is fine on days when this does not happen, however. I'm not sure if the signal problems are due to the way I'm holding it, but I'm probably not paying enough to get that kind of design flaw. More likely it just doesn't like going on the Tube sometimes.

I think the outside of the phone is incredibly good looking, whatever the reviews say. Yes, if you sit it next to a £550 aluminium unibody whatever, then it's going to look cheaper, but frankly if it didn't I'd ask for my £550 back. For what it costs, the OSD looks pretty damn pretty. The back is rubbery, which feels good in the hand, and while it's very light it doesn't feel hollow and plasticy like some cheap phones do.

Running an old version of Android is annoying, but not a problem to me. Apparently Orange intend to upgrade it before the end of the year, but you shouldn't buy it based on that alone. Buy it for what it can do now - which is a lot.

EDIT: I ought to add something about the camera. It's okay. Certainly not as good as '8 MEGAPIXELS!!!' would have you believe. It takes reasonable pictures, but people will know they came from a phone.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2013 11:25 AM GMT

Sikai Soft Silicone Case for Orange San Diego - Anti-Scratch Back Rubber Phone Cover + 2 Screen Protectors (Black)
Offered by Membrane Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn good case for the money, 29 Sept. 2012
The problem with buying a phone like the San Diego is that while you get a heck of a lot of bang for your buck, you don't exactly get the same choice of cases as the iPhone-wielding masses. In fact, as far as I can tell you really only have a choice of one. So is it any good?

Um. Yes, I think. It's made from textured silicone that doesn't feel tacky to the touch like cheap cases do. It has cutouts for all the ports (including the sim card tray, which seems a bit excessive), and the power and volume buttons can be pressed through the case. It's dead easy to get on and doesn't add too much bulk to the phone. Nice and grippy too, which I find useful since the phone is quite a bit larger than my old one.

In short, it's not going to win any design awards, but it gets the job done.

Also comes with two screen protectors, one of which I have already tried to use and thrown in the bin - they've cut them with no margin for error, which makes avoiding bubbles totally impossible. Plus they're nowhere near as smooth and wonderful to stroke as the actual screen, so for now my OSD is baring its face to the world in defiance of scratchy objects.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2013 5:31 PM GMT

Orange Pay As You Go Micro Sim Card
Orange Pay As You Go Micro Sim Card
Offered by ETERNAL COMMUNICATIONS LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars Not valid, 24 Sept. 2012
"Your SIM card number is not recognised by Orange"

Looks genuine but just flat out does not work. A fake? Who knows. Why anyone would charge a penny for this is beyond me, I can't imagine how they make a profit. But don't give them your money, keep your penny.

LEGO Star Wars 9488: Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid B
LEGO Star Wars 9488: Elite Clone Trooper and Commando Droid B
Offered by DaJu Online (Alle Preise inkl. MwSt, bitte Versandkosten beachten)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for the ARC trooper but the whole set turned out to be fantastic!, 27 April 2012
I freely admit to being a grown up kid, but my goodness I struggled to put the ARC trooper together. It's incredibly fiddly to get his skirt on (not words I ever expected to need to type). I'm not sure how well a five year old would cope, but maybe smaller fingers helps. Failing that, kids, rope a parent in. They're looking for an excuse to play with the Lego anyway.

Anyway, on to the set. The ARF trooper is the same as the one from the last battlepack except he now sports some sweet red go-faster stripes. He's a very cool minifigure and it's a testament to the others in the set that he's also the least interesting. Even though it's not shown on the box, he does come with a blaster of his own so he's not stuck on the cannon all the time.

The ARC is the star of the show (not to be confused with the ARF. No, I don't know why they have basically the same name, but it's rather confusing). Once you get the fiddly fabric bits on you've got an amazing figure with incredibly fine details - he even has little printed boots. The skirt on mine is a bit less neat than the one on the box but it doesn't detract from the figure as much as I thought.

The assassin droids look fantastic, just like they do in the show. They're not as poseable as the clones, though, as their legs are joined together at the hip. I'm a bit wary of them as I've had those leg pieces snap on me before after not much use, so I don't think I'll be disassembling these guys in a hurry. Not to worry, as they look delightfully sinister in their dark brown armour. The printing is minimal but very accurate - no blurry lines on my droids' heads.

Finally, the cannon. The brick-built parts of battlepack sets tend to be a bit naff and I generally break them up for parts straight away, but I think I'll be keeping this one together. For such a small model it's an incredibly fun build, with lots of bricks at unusual angles, moveable legs and an adjustable gun. It's also got a hidden flick-fire missile which I'm sure is highly effective against brothers and sisters if that's your thing. Personally I took it out and stuck it in the end of the main gun to make it a bit longer and cooler. The colour scheme is neat and fits well with the armour of the clones.

All in all, I'm extremely impressed with this set and if you can pick it up for £10 or so I think it's well worth the money. I only wanted it for the ARC trooper at first but it turns out that the whole set is just great. I think I've actually fallen in love with the cannon. Who could have seen that coming?

Sekonda Gents Strap Watch 3676
Sekonda Gents Strap Watch 3676
Offered by GoldBar Watches

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, shame about the strap, 31 Mar. 2012
I've been after a cheap yet smart-looking watch for a while now, and this one ticked all the boxes I needed it to - clear face, elegant design, leather strap. And a decent price, obviously. The watch came in a nice presentation box that was somewhat marred by the residue from a sticky label on it. Just as well I wasn't planning on giving it as a present.

The watch itself seems to be decent quality and is as good-looking in real life as it is in the pictures, although the strap is a bit darker. I'm not convinced by the strap, though, it feels like it has the thinnest possible layer of leather on it. More annoyingly, there are two loops to hold the loose end of the strap down, the first of which is fixed in position only about half a centimetre away from the buckle. This means that to tuck the strap away you really need to bend it, and I'm starting to see unsightly creases in mine. It also makes putting the watch on and taking it off a bit of a faff compared to other watches I've owned. It's an annoyance, but a small one, and for a watch that looks this nice at this price I'm quite happy to overlook it. How well it ages remains to be seen...