Profile for Murphy-Bear > Reviews

In the Eye of the Storm: The Autobiography Of Sir John Houghton
In the Eye of the Storm: The Autobiography Of Sir John Houghton
by John Houghton

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming tale of a nice man., 15 Jan. 2014
This is an easy read. John Houghton comes over as a very modest and nice man. The story is more about his career and pursuit of science truth than about his personal life.
I am always amazed by people who can stay calm and reasoned when attacked by those with vested interests. The importance of presenting the science in a non emotional way comes through very strongly.
I am currently working through the web links included in the notes. This reflects one of the underlying themes. When you attribute something to a source, supply the source reference, then readers can track it back.
Recommended.

Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box
Roku 2400EU LT AV Receiver Set-Top Box

2.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says but...., 1 July 2012
Does what it says reasonably well. The menu on the BBC Iplayer implementation can be confusing as the text does not wrap. More time spent on the graphics than on the text display which is the modern fashion. Just a bit naff to use.
I really bought this for the olympics coverage as I do not have a satellite receiver for the extra channels. Unfortunately the Iplayer implementation does not include live TV. Its all based on recorded stuff and can take 24 hours to get into the Iplayer library. My fault, I was a bit naive when I bought it. My sister likes her Roku, but I think it was set up in the States and has much more access than the UK registration. All in all I think that you are better off buying a cheap laptop to connect to the TV.
Picture quality seems good unless you try to watch fast sports such as football. Then you notice that there is noticeable lag in tracking the ball.
The fact that you cannot switch it off is actually a real pain, if like me, you have a TV which automatically prioritises lines in over its internal tuner. This means you have to use the TV remote to switch back to tuner every time you switch the TV on.
At the moment there is no ITV Player or Channel 4 & 5 player implementation. If these broadcasters back the new Youview service then they may not be interested in the Roku.
I've not tried any of the pay channels as the example content is of no interest to me. There may be more content once your signed up, but the sample content on their websites is very low quality.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2014 3:58 PM GMT