Profile for RoguePlank > Reviews

Content by RoguePlank

RoguePlank

ARCTIC Breeze Mobile - 92 mm USB Fan for Everywhere - Perfect for Notebooks , Laptops , Netbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for cooling bitcoin miners, 8 Feb. 2014
Shifts a very suprising amount of air for an open tiny fan. Practically silent, i can just about hear them in my cupboard when the house is silent at night, I've got two of them happily cooling 14 overclocked miners. Very high quality, the flexy arm is not flimsy or weak at all, will hold any shape you bend it to like a metal coathanger. My ONLY complaint about these is that the fan head doesnt swivel round much on the end, you can't plug it in and twist the fan round to face the opposite direction, you have to use the bendy arm to make it do a backflip if you want the fan facing the other way.

TeckNet® USB 3.0 10 Port Hub with 48W Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]
Offered by SPEEDY GOAL LIMITED

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high-power hub for Bitcoin mining!, 8 Feb. 2014
I now have two of these hubs powering 14 USB ASIC cryptocurrency mining devices, all overclocked to various speeds and generating a fair bit of heat, these hubs are very well made, above what I was expecting for the price, you can tell by the weight of them that they are really meant for high-power applications on every port.

Judging by how hot the power bricks are getting, I would guess I am approaching the 4A current limit of these hubs so it will be interesting to see how well they fair over the next few months of constant operation, will really test the component quality of the internals.

The hubs connect every device every time I switch them on and off for maintenance, the individual USB plugs are very stiff and durable, you really have to PUSH the device into the usb plug the first time you use it so I know it's getting a great contact, no danger of anything working loose and can support a bit of weight as i have a couple of usb fans on long bendy arms leaning over the other plugs and they dont move about.

The blue light that accompanies each plug is either a power or activity light as some of them come on just from their being a device in the port, others only come on when i actually start mining but doesn't bother me, it still lets me know a device is communicating. The blue lights are very bright so a bit of electrical tape over them is required if you're looking for a low-key setup.

I highly recommend this great quality rig for any amateur crypto-miners, though a hub with higher power capacity may be required if you start to crank up the consumption like I have, am considering the Anker hubs if these fail in future.

Contour ROAM Handsfree HD Action Camera
Contour ROAM Handsfree HD Action Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars BETTER THAN GO-PRO BY FAR, 2 May 2012
WATERPROOF, indestructible, looks how an action cam should look, wish it could do 60fps but other than that its an awesome bit of kit - search youtube- Project Doggy-Vision to see the first time i ever tried this camera out- attached to my Old-English Sheep-dog then sent him into a lake with it recording. Handled it brilliantly. Microphone even works under water and works after water as well, which is more than could be said a big chunky square gopro in a big plastic case. whack a 32gb sd card in it and set to record in 170degree 720p or 120degree full 1080p and record for at least 3 to 4 hours continuously. the lens can be rotated depending on how the camera is mounted and the laser-level is a very neat touch. My family use our camera for attaching to nerf guns, attaching to helmets for motorcross riding, mountainbiking, i attach it to the hull on my sailboat, mountainbiking or just for general filming really, its a great camera and looks how an action camera really should, and lives up to the hype better than any gopro box could. also incredibly easy to use- 2 buttons- 1 shows you if it has battery and memory space left or not (green, orange or red light), the other starts and stops recording. dont even have to switch it on, just slide the big rubber slider forwards and start going mental!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2013 9:42 PM BST

TP-LINK TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack
TP-LINK TL-PA511KIT 500 Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter - Twin Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars AS FAST AS DIRECT ETHERNET LAN, AS PORTABLE AS WI-FI. TRUE STORY., 1 May 2012
ok, i was quite scepticle/sceptical/skeptikal(?) about how good these things could really be; always been on direct ethernet before as i do alot of downloading and gaming so i need a very fast reliable connection. Just moved house, my family has 5 computers, 2 internet tv's and an xbox, all of which needed connecting to the net. We tried wireless for a while but the connection was way too slow and unreliable, especially because the router had to be in quite an isolated room of the house. No way we could have 20 metre LAN cables running all over the house and having proper ethernet plugs put in the walls was out of the question. So I watched a few reviews and found us a good deal on a whole bunch of these adaptors made by a decent company, particularly the 500mbps versions as apparently this equates to about 80mb broadband as the bandwidth limit (not 100% sure on this, but several unit-convertors agreed with me). We upgraded to 40mb fibre optic broadband and I hooked whole house up on these adaptors, got like 6 of them all over the place. We all get the full 40mb and our ping speeds are what surprised me the most; we all get pings you can count in single figures- consistently under 10ms ping times with broadband speed test websites, lowest ive seen is 4ms which is absolutely incredible. These adaptors are great, definintely spend the extra to get the 500mbps versions so you arent limited in future and you have got yourself an incredibly flexible, highly reliable and lightning fast home networking solution!! They are also VERY SIMPLE to set up- step 1. plug in to wall. step 2. plug in ethernet cable. step 3. switch on at wall. step 4. bask in your own success :-) Tip- you need at least 2 of these for it to work ;-) I will ceratinly be taking a bunch of these with me where-ever i need to network from now on! Heard a few people saying they get affected by the amount of devices plugged in at your house- ive certainly not experinced anything like this and my family burns electricity like its free! electric oven, hair dryers, washing amchine, electric hob, electric shower- none of these affect the network at all which is very impressive considering the electrics in our house is nearly 40 years old (we still had a filament-wire fuseboard until 2 weeks ago). It is a minor inconvenience that the adaptors need to go directly into a wall plug as they wont work through power strips with surge protectors, but honestly most plug sockets come in pairs anyway so everything else can just go on an extension strip (we <3 8-way surge-protected power strips). This tech has completely proven itself to me, I consider it better than straight ethernet and almost as portable as wireless with none of the reliability problems. Hope this review helps anyone who is as unsure about this tech as i was before i tried it!!
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2013 3:24 AM GMT