Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Alex" (Scotland)

Microlight Pilot's Handbook -  8th Edition
Microlight Pilot's Handbook - 8th Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars I have the 7th edition as well, 21 May 2014
This Book is the de-facto standard book to possess for a microlight Student Pilot and is a recommendation by most microlight flying instructors.

It is an Excellent Small Book, which can be read through in a few days, and then kept for reference, which you will do time and again

All of the answers to the theory part of the ppl(m) are condensed within this book, you don't really need any other book. So if you only have a small budget, this is the book to buy.

It doesn't teach you how to fly, thats what an instructors for, but it gives you all you need to know about the theory.

If you already possess the 7th edition, then you should just do what I did, and just get the Kindle edition.

In Fact, I can see no difference in the real content between this, the 8th edition and the 7th edition, The air law section may have been updated to reflect changes in that.

Given that the author sadly died a few years before this edition came out, I'm not entirely sure who has provided the update, as its not stated.

Effortless E-commerce with PHP and MySQL (Voices That Matter)
Effortless E-commerce with PHP and MySQL (Voices That Matter)
by Larry Ullman

4.0 out of 5 stars It's OK, possibly even very Good,, 11 Mar. 2014
If you are in the transition from beginner to intermediate php, then this book will teach you some good stuff.
Such as stored procedures for mySQL and how to implement a shopping cart.

I think thats where Larry was aiming it at.

There are some areas. explaining the MVC architecture for example, I am at odds with.

to me , the book implies that the database layer is the entirety of model and that php is the controller.
this is not entirely true. The database layer is only part of the Model, the other part of the model being the business processes that are implemented in php. but that's possibly going somewhere the book maybe didn't want to cover

Also, The use of objects are not as comprehensive as they could have been.
for example, in a book of this substance, I would have expected a templating system be used , to separate out the view code, from the PHP. This would actually have made it even easier to comprehend

I gave it 4 stars because of that. Perhaps in the next edition, we'll see a templating system and more objects. Then I will give it 5 stars.

But hey, this is a good book and worthy of a read, its certainly better than most of the books out there trying to cover similar topics. I've got hundreds, so I am in a position to compare..

I guess I'm just a critical reviewer

Also, Unless you want to jump in at the deep end, this should not be your first php book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 9:27 AM BST

Optoma ML750 Ultra Portable LED Projector
Optoma ML750 Ultra Portable LED Projector

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a super little projector, 11 Mar. 2014
I'll start by saying that I'm very happy with the projector it does projection very well, for such a small device. It has a variety of resolutions and settings. the one I get best results from, is the 1280 * 1024 it goes up to 1680*1050, which is a bit of an unusual size.

I have only given this 4 Stars though, as its not quite as easy to use, as the manufacturers blurb implies.

I would have given it 5 stars, but for the wireless bit, so if you don't need wireless then don't read this next bit.

I am extremely disappointed in the wireless facility !! The whole point of me having the device this small, was to use it wirelessly on my own and in hotel and exhibition networks.

I'm a bit of a geek so I got the wireless function to work, but not to my satisfaction. It l took me a few hours of figuring out.

The wireless part is far from intuitive to use, The instructions do NOT cover android devices at all yet android devices make up the majority of the mobile market. I have an android tablet and phone.
The manufacturer has a great deal of work to do, to make this as easy as they make it sound and to get it to work as it should..

Another very big disappointment for me, indeed quite a surprise,

was, that the wireless dongle generates its own network ! Sounds Good I hear you saying ?

You have to connect your device to the projector. Rather than connecting the projector onto any existing network, like everything else I know does.

Why is this such a big issue?? WELL, it means, that you Cannot connect your device with wifi to the internet when using the wireless connection, since the wifi has to be used to connect to the projector.

Things like using it wirelessly in a hotel conference room setting. to show off a website, simply cannot be done.

This was what I had envisaged when I bought this, so hence I'm extremely disappointed.

you can use the 3 or 4g network, but thats adding significant cost to usage
you still can connect wirelessly to the internet and display it through the projector but you need a cable from your device to the projector, so your device's wi fy is free to connect.

The projector should have been able to connect to an existing network.

As far as I am concerned, this is a very big miss from the manufacturers.

They got this wrong, big style and need to rethink the concept.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2014 12:44 AM BST

ASUS AM3+ SABERTOOTH 990FX S/L
ASUS AM3+ SABERTOOTH 990FX S/L

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good and fast Board, 24 Dec. 2013
I like the fact that you can check the various temperatures throughout the board.

beware buying the asus graphics card though, as they dont seem to be compatible.

Asus Radeon HD 7770 DirectCU Graphics Card (1GB GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, 1020MHz/4600MHz, HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D, AMD CrossFireX Technology, AMD Eyefinity Technology)

1.0 out of 5 stars These are probably the worst Graphics card I ever had., 24 Dec. 2013
I bought 2 cards as a matched set, so I could have a 3 monitor system.

I even bought an asus motherboard, so I could maximise compatibility.

It was the manufacturers write up, that persuaded me to buy them, as they came with a supposedly great system for multiple monitors.
The set up was rubbish, and kept crashing on an hourly basis.

I ended up putting my old graphics cards back into the new asus motherboard, and it hasnt crashed since.
That was over 1 year ago.

jQuery: Novice to Ninja
jQuery: Novice to Ninja
by Earle Castledine

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class JQuery, 11 April 2010
until I got this book, I had no idea, how powerfull Jquery was.

The book's explanations are well defined and clear,
with just enough humor to make this a must have book.

The authors have worked well together.

they take you through a gentle introduction, which is absolutely necessary, to some quite advanced stuff at the end.