Profile for Fox-trot > Reviews

Content by Fox-trot

Fox-trot (Paris, France)

Page: 1 | 2
Disney Frozen Deluxe Elsa Costume (Small)
Disney Frozen Deluxe Elsa Costume (Small)
Offered by Mega Fancy Dress

1.0 out of 5 stars Disney quality lower and lower with time. Wait until they come up with dresses that cost 1p to make., 16 Jun. 2014
I bought 2 of these dresses for my daughters with different sizes. Having seen previously Disney branded products, I really had low expectations about their finishing quality.

Which is why I was not too disappointed. The dresses are of an awful cheap make. 2 examples:

- the lower border of the dress has no hem but just an overedge stitch. Because the fabric is very fragile, this stich wears off really quickly. Boo!
- there is no zip or scratch provided to loosen the dress, so my daughters have to do all sorts of contortions to put them on or take them off. And the plasticky sleeves don't make this easier. Fortunately the dresses are rather a bit large for my daughters.

I have no complaint about the seller on the other hand.

AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones
AKG K271 MKII Circumaural Studio Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good sound. Poor build quality., 16 Oct. 2013
I have enjoyed using these headphones for playing a piano. However, they once or twice fell on the floor, and all of a sudden one side stopped functioning and they turned mono, left ear only.

Since I am a lot into DIY, I opened them to fix them. I did not like what I saw. OMG! What a crappy build quality. The cups are fixed to the over-the-head band with tiny and fragile plastic pieces which are just waiting to be shattered. Once these are broken, the electric wires will be torn and they will soon stop functioning.

Very disappointing for the price tag.

Sony MDRXD100 HiFi Headphones Silver
Sony MDRXD100 HiFi Headphones Silver

1.0 out of 5 stars Very bad sound, 16 Oct. 2013
I bought them to play a hybrid piano from Yamaha which sounds fantastic with other cans. These ones are very bad. The sound is tinny. I feel like playing a piano made of sheet metal.

I am surprised they got such good reviews. Maybe they fare better with other sorts of music or instruments.

Set of 4 920XL (920 XL) High Capacity Black Cyan Magenta & Yellow Compatible Ink Cartridges (WITH CHIP AND WILL SHOW INK LEVELS) for HP Officejet 6000 6500 7000 6500A 6500A Plus 7500A wf Printers
Offered by Ink Jungle Ltd. (VAT Receipt Supplied)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad product, 20 July 2013
When I opened the cartridge packages to put them into the printer, they were leaking. This is obviously known to the manufacturer because a leaflet in the package is warning about this.

The colours are not amazing. In particular black is more greyish than actually black.

So HP's prices are a ripoff. But these at a fraction of the price are not a terrific deal either.

Sony Xperia E Dual SIM black unlocked
Sony Xperia E Dual SIM black unlocked
Offered by sotel-germany

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Sony says: the no-nonsense phone, 2 April 2013
I had an HTC phone before that. I got this one because I wanted to have my 2 SIMs (2 mobile phone plans in 2 different countries) in a single phone and this was a reasonable option with a decent brand name. I did not want to have 2 phones and hated opening my phone to switch SIMs every now and then.

The phone is a standard 4.1 android phone with the following nice features:
- dual SIM support where ANY of the SIMs can support WCDMA/GSM (and the other only GSM).
- both SIMs active at the same time so you can receive calls on either of the phone numbers.
- fantastic battery life with the right options
- sufficiently small to be forgotten in your pocket.

The phone also has dedicated options to tune battery and network usage. I skipped the network usage control because I have all you can eat data in my plans and more calls than I need. It is however easy to grasp what uses data (what apps, or what system service). The battery usage software is very useful. It gives stats of what app/system service is using battery power, together with a timeline of past battery levels (as a decreasing curve) with marks indicating when I used network or had the screen on. Very telling and very handy.

The phone also has options to save battery by turning off 3G while the screen is off. Very useful. I get with normal usage a whopping 3 full days of battery with 2 SIMS !!!

I am not waiting 24/7 for facebook updates by buddies such as "I am having a can of beer LOL" so having no email/network updates if I am not checking for a while is perfectly fine. I see mail when I wish to check it or if I happen to turn my phone on for any reason (even for 1 second), good enough for me.

On the other hand, I can then sneer at my pals who have to keep then $$$ iphone almost constantly plugged on the wall after one year of owning them which is definitely ridiculous for a __mobile__ phone.

On the minus side: the in phone camera is far from fantastic. Those in an iphone or an HTC desire or wildfire are probably better. I saw some debates about whether the Xperia camera had autofocus or not. To be honest it is not clear to me even though I know a lot about cameras in general. The camera seems to make decently sharp shots even at a short distance, even though I do not see the pumping motion typical of an autofocus kicking in. Maybe they have some fancy autofocus like the one by nemoptic. Just a wild guess. Anyways, colors are a bit dull with automatic white balance, and the photos are not fantastic. Well, again I am not über-connected and not sending pics across the world as instant facebook updates, so I can cope with it.

Also (a minor issue) on the minus side: switching from one sim to another is a bit intricated. I need to:
- tell the phone to switch the sim for outgoing calls and texts
- tell the phone to switch the sim for data
- tell the phone that the new sim now has WCDMA/GSM access (I then get a message saying that the other sim will only have GSM).
So all in all 3 operations I would have loved to be able to do in a single click. Maybe I am a bit fussy here.

Also: no front-facing camera. Fair enough. Video-conferencing is still an expensive gimmick for me, especially over 3G.

Otherwise a true and useful device so far.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2013 7:56 AM GMT

Revo Heritage G2 Deluxe Multi Format Table Radio with Docking for iPod and iPhone - Walnut

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly good, 2 April 2013
I have tried other internet radios, including those by OXX, and found most of them to be fairly crappy pieces of hardware, except the OXX.

This one is fairly well designed, looks solid with a nice an bright display. I am using it mostly as an internet radio and as an Ipod docking station, so I won't comment on DAB, FM radio or even last.fm support.

The internet radio seems well designed, although I believe all these internet radios use the same chip and only the casing and the louspeaker change. But yes it is still worth paying a bit more for nice casing and very decent sound albeit monophonic.

The Ipod dock works well, and the selection can be done (1) on the ipod (2) with the front buttons or (3) with the remote.

Here is what I like with the radio:
- Nice look, solid and reliable look with a nice finishing.
- Very decent sound, although it seems that FM or DAB radio reception was degraded by the presence of an ipod in the dock.
- Remote included
- Separate power adapter with 3 plugs (US, UK and EU). Since a power adapter is usually a weak part in an electronic device, I will be able to replace it easily if it breaks down, without even having to open the radio.

A was a bit surprised to see that the ipod adapter I was looking for (ipod 4G) is missing, although it is mentioned in the user manual. I called Revo's customer support which seemed fairly relaxed about this. I was given some excuse of why an ipod selling since over a year does not have its own adapter and was suggested either to get one from Apple (9 USD and in white which looks like %"!^%$£!), or get along with no adapter.

I am not amazed by Revo's customer care to say the least. The product misses a 5 five star grade because of that.

I think Apple also shares the blame for coming up with ever changing connectors and adapter shapes. Obviously those people (Apple) do not care about making the life of their customers simple. They care about ensuring continuous streams of income and are happy to make your gear and accessories obsolete ASAP to charge you hefty prices for cheap accessory updates. Also the ipod 4G docking adapter on Apple's webstore has apalling reviews because the ipod 4g is not properly supported so I did not want to buy a white piece of plastic that is useless, would look bad and costs probably 9GBP atop of that.

Door wedges rubber set of 2
Door wedges rubber set of 2
Offered by K.S.BIRK Suppliers

1.0 out of 5 stars Small and stinking, 4 Feb. 2013
The wedges are way smaller than what I used to buy from highstreet shops. Also when I opened the parcel, they were stinking absolutely dreadfully.

I will keep them on a window sill for 1-2 weeks to release their stinking gas in the sunlight. If they still stink after that, I'll bin them.

Asus UX32A Zenbook 13.3-inch Laptop (Silver) - (Intel Core i5 3317 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, WLAN, Webcam, BT, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit)

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice little piece of hardware, 11 Nov. 2012
The laptop is reasonably fast and responsible for its weight and price. I like
- The design: not as classy as Apple but not bad
- The backlit and fairly silent keyboard
- The hard drive size (500GB, not SSD)
- The fast startup time, I guess thanks the the additional SSD disk

What I liked less:
- needed some heavy software upgrade from day 1. It was not fully automated so it might have been a bit scary for someone who is not very familiar with computers
- the fan used to make a freaking noise (VOOOOO!) going suddenly to full speed, especially when resuming from suspend mode. I had bought it because I wanted to use in a quiet environment where noise is not welcome, so this quite defeated the purpose. Fortunately, Asus has come up with a BIOS update (v212) that fixes this.

*** UPDATE ***

The fan noise problem is back for some unknown reasons. Just browsing the web with Firefox in super power saving mode is still enough to trigger the fan speed 5 secs full speed, 5 secs off, which is very annoying. Fan control seems to be completely erratic.

Forums are full of people complaining about that problem, and the general response by Asus is that it is a non problem, or they ask for a return and replace parts that does not change anything. Asus seems to have very bad customer support. So I downgraded from 4 to 1 stars.

Canon LEGRIA HF G10 High Definition Camcorder Black (10x Optical Zoom, 3.5 inch Touchscreen LCD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 17 Jun. 2012
A really good mix. One of the selling features of the camera is the 1920x1080 sensor, which unlike the downsampled 8 or 16Mpix sensors has little aliasing and better noise and low-light response. This is a bit of a marketing hype as my previous camera (HV30) also had a sensor closer to full HD than 16Mpix.

Coming from a camera with DV cassettes, I love the absence of cassette noise, the absence of a fragile mechanism with a tag telling you where to press to close the cassette lid without destroying or bending it.

The HF G10 is probably what Canon can do best currently in the consumer space: perfect sharpness, good noise level and low-light sensitivity (although, do not expect miracles either in very low light), thanks to their modern 1:1 sensor. Very good AF and auto white balance. The compression is fairly good, and allows a quite high bit-rate.

I was also fairly impressed by the quality of the sound track, even without an external microphone.

Finally, the LCD is very sharp, and the controls of the camera with the touchscreen are working fine. Useful functions such as peak detector for checking AF or preprogrammed AF to switch focus from one object to another are really useful features.

The lens focal range is very good, from 30 to approx 300 in 35 mm equivalent. The wide-angle is great. Wider would probably introduce distortions that are difficult to tame.

You feel that Canon has been cutting some corners to deliver this camera. Buttons outside of the touchscreen are relatively scarce. I can live with a manual in PDF but saving on the strap is a bit stingy from Canon. The lens lid is not attached to some string so do not lose it. But heck probably Canon would have charged more otherwise.

The HF G10 has few siblings to know. On the high end, the XA10, which is probably 50% more expensive, and less value for the money unless you absolutely need the very few extras it has. On the lower end, Canon has several cameras with the same sensor ("HD Cmos pro"), BUT ... with a less useful zoom range (widest is 43mm instead of 30mm, which is a hell of a difference), AND a crappier LCD screen (230k instead of 1M pixels). Look for the the HF M40, 41, 400, 50, 500.

Inside Job [DVD] [2011]
Inside Job [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice film, 6 April 2012
This review is from: Inside Job [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Charles Ferguson is a guy who had founded a startup called Vermeer which he then sold to Microsoft, who called the product .. FrontPage (web site edition tools).

His movie is a bit polemical, but very informative and enjoyable. This is where you see the CEO of Goldman Sachs, LLoyd Blankfein stutter vague explanations of why they sold truckloads of toxic assets to customers and then placed bets against them. Top representatives of banks, lobbies and the government get badly grilled during the interviews. Those who refused to answer questions are listed one by one in some hall of shame "Mr X or Y declined to be interviewed".

Page: 1 | 2