Profile for Mews > Reviews

Content by Mews

Mews

Page: 1 | 2
To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)
To the Grave: A Genealogical Crime Mystery #2 (Jefferson Tayte)

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than In The Blood, 30 Jun 2012
In The Blood is a fantastic book that fully deserves the praise and 5 star ratings. To The Grave is even better. Mena's story pulls at the heart-strings, which leads to tragic circumstances that are truly heartbreaking. I look forward to reading many more stories involving JT.

Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband
Goodnight Dear: The Unsentimental Diary Of A Bereaved Husband

5.0 out of 5 stars Words don't to it justice., 3 April 2012
I've been struggling over reviewing this book for days. Simply because I don't think I have the words to do it the justice it deserves.

This is exactly the kind of book I would normally avoid reading. I am one of these types that likes to try to pretend to herself that by avoiding reading about issues like these means that I will never have to deal with it. Rediculous of course.

A few years ago my mother tried to sit me down and tell me in a practical way where I could find everything (insurance documents etc) in the house were anything to happen to her or my dad. I had a childish reaction to it and refused to have the conversation. Like if I could avoid talking about it then it wouldn't happen. After reading Darren's book though I have a better understanding about the importance of this stuff and have spoken to my mother about us having that important discussion soon. I want to thank Darren for having the courage to write this book and for giving me the courage to think about sorting this stuff out with my parents.

Abide with Me
Abide with Me

5.0 out of 5 stars A quality debut., 26 Mar 2012
This review is from: Abide with Me (Kindle Edition)
Like many people reviewing this book have mentioned, it is written in the East End vernacular. But to be honest it only took me about half a page before I got used to this style. I too wondered early on if the swearing was going to bother me, but it didn't in the least. I think John's character wouldn't have come across as realistic and human if the swearing had been cut in any way. It was as if you were just hearing the story in his voice.

I have absolutely no interest in football what so ever, but there is a scene close to the middle of the book that gives a blow-by-blow account of a football match and I was utterly gripped while reading it. I am sure the house could have fallen down around me while reading that part and I wouldn't have noticed. It's a sign of a quality writer who can keep you hooked to a book even when you are reading about something you have little or no interest in (football). I just had to find out what the result would be (and what a result in more ways than one).

This story will stay with me for a long time. Highly recommended.

An Orc Not Like Others
An Orc Not Like Others

5.0 out of 5 stars More Please!, 16 Mar 2012
For me the sign of a good book is one that keeps you turning the pages wanting to find out what happens next, one where you know you are going to miss the characters and one that leaves you hoping there will be a sequel soon. This book ticked all those boxes for me. Looking forward to reading more from this author.

Solitary Pleasures
Solitary Pleasures

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure to read, 8 Mar 2012
It was my first experience reading something from this author, so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got was a lovely story that I found hard to put down. Looking forward to reading more from this author.

[Re]Awakenings, an anthology of new Speculative Fiction
[Re]Awakenings, an anthology of new Speculative Fiction

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 25 Feb 2012
I initially bought this book so I could dip in and out of it between longer novels (as I am inclined to do with short story collections). However as soon as I started it, I really couldn't put it down and had to continue until I was finished. Each story is as interesting as the last. My personal favourite was Podcast. Brilliant collection. Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 26, 2012 4:00 PM GMT

Tollesbury Time Forever (FRUGALITY Book 1)
Tollesbury Time Forever (FRUGALITY Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 14 Feb 2012
A book very well deserving of all the positive reviews and 5*s it's been getting. This isn't a book you just read, it'a book you go on a journey with. Only the second time since getting my Kindle that I have felt the need to highlight passages, it's just that breathtaking.

Dogs Of War
Dogs Of War

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good one from Nick, 22 Jan 2012
This review is from: Dogs Of War (Kindle Edition)
As someone who is both a gamer and loves her indie authors, I couldn't resist this one. And it doesn't disappoint. Loved all the little touches like the user names, respawn camping, rage quitting and the mention of someone playing in their mother's basement ;-). Hilarious at first although it does get a little more serious as it progresses.

Words to the Wise: A Gothic Saga. Book Two (Towards Darker Climes 2)
Words to the Wise: A Gothic Saga. Book Two (Towards Darker Climes 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great follow-up to Book 1, 19 Dec 2011
Slighly less dark than book 1, but nevertheless a great addition to the Saga, in fact I think I may have enjoyed it a little more than book 1 (which I didn't think could be possible). The conversations and interactions between the Wanderer and his new companion gives us further insight into the Wanderer's past and possible future, but without revealing too much of the mystery. Like other people have mentioned, both books are the first time I have felt compelled to use the highlighter so I can re-read my favourite passages. I deliberately tried to slow down at 70% because I didn't want it to end!

Can't wait to find out what happens in book 3, especially after that rather breathtaking cliffhanger.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2011 3:07 PM GMT

Words to the Wise: A Gothic Saga. Book One (The Awakening 1)
Words to the Wise: A Gothic Saga. Book One (The Awakening 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, beautifully written., 19 Nov 2011
This book was chosen for our Goodreads group and I am so glad it was. I already had the sample on my Kindle, and I know I would have definitely eventually got around to reading it and subsequently downloading the full book, because I was hooked from the first few pages of the sample. It's not often a book comes along that you feel a connection with. You can like a book, you can love a book. But sometimes you can feel more than that, a passion almost and that's exactly how I felt about this book. I am not sure what genre this book falls under, sometimes though the writing is to such a high standard, like this one, that the genre hardly matters. It wasn't just the writing style though, I really did love the story too. It pulled me in so quickly and I found right from the beginning that I really did want to know what happened to The Wanderer.

I know the book won't be to everyone's taste. For me personally though it felt like one of those books that deserves to be a modern classic.

I am afraid my impatience won't allow me to delay reading book 2 and I have already bought it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2011 1:07 AM GMT