Profile for James Matthews > Reviews

Tron Legacy
Offered by westworld-
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Daft Punk, but not a bad thing either., 4 April 2013
This review is from: Tron Legacy (Audio CD)
This CD was always the one Daft Punk album I didn't own, and I had ignored it for a while because everyone seemed to say it wasn't any good. But, what with Random Access Memories being announced, I thought it was time to complete my collection, and I'm glad I did. This album blew my mind. Having a love of both electronic and film music for a while now, I wondered how this would work. Synthesised film scores have a way of sounding dated and cheesy after a while, so I was wary that this would do the same. Instead, it just worked. The blend between the orchestra and the synthesiser is almost seamless. It's as if the timpani and the TR-808 were long lost cousins and glad to be reunited.

Sure, it's not the auto-tuned dance music of Discovery, or the sleek house music of Homework, but it wouldn't work as a soundtrack if it was. It had to be something different; something dark and brooding, futuristic yet timeless. So if you're a Daft Punk fan willing to accept that they've done something different, this is for you.

Dunlop DEN1046 Medium 10-46 Nickel Electric Guitar Strings
Dunlop DEN1046 Medium 10-46 Nickel Electric Guitar Strings
Price: 4.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant strings for the money, 4 April 2013
I recently made the switch to Dunlops from Rotosound yellows, which had been my go-to strings for about four or five years. The Rotos were alright, but they seemed to be a magnet for grime; once they got dirty, they were almost impossible to clean again. The Dunlops however have been on my guitars for several weeks and gone through many all-day rehearsals and recordings, but they still feel like new. They're also cheaper than the Rotos and sound much warmer and less "cheap".

Homework
Homework
Price: 7.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Homework (Audio CD)
I'll be honest, when I first listened to the album, I was a bit disappointed by it. Perhaps because I had grown up with the Discovery-era Daft Punk, I was expecting more of the same, and so I found it a bit repetitive and a bit bland. But after a few more listens, I started to get into it more and the album grew on me. Now, it's one of my favourite albums and I completely understand what all the fuss is about.